+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Had same time zone problem with Palm Calendar - messes up times for flights and everything since I already enter all times in local at city where I'll be. It seems can never reset computer to different time zone - so just change time for hot sync issues works for me also - it was a big pain - seems Palm and Windows try to outsmart people and still have a difficulty realizing people are smarter than their software.
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

If you are using Sprint's network time, check your time zone information by switching to manual. All three items, time/time zone/daylight savings, must be correctly match with the computer. On mine, it show the correct local Pacific time but time zone shows Alaska and daylight savings is on. I have to manually adjust the settings and leave it on manual for my email time to display correctly.

Thanks for the heads-up. I travel to CA frequently and just use auto time. I will check it more carefullly next time I am there. This is really strange for the time shown on the phone controlls the use of "free" or anytime minutes. So many folks might be paying for calls they should have for free---do I smell a class action??

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

BB,

The display time is correct using the auto time. Only the time zone and daylight savings info is wrong. Time stamped items are displayed using the device's time zone settings. Say you are in east coast and the 3 settings (time, time zone, daylight savings) are correct. You sync'd with the computer, which is set to east coast. You now arrive in CA, TZ gets changed to Alaska with daylight savings on. You put an appointment in and you sync with your computer that has auto adjusted to Pacific with daylight off. Now you go back east coast when your TZ is now correct but everything you did in CA has a wrong time stamp and you now sync them onto the computer (therefore, syncing wrong info onto wrong place). Can you picture the mess?

Remember, there is no way to tell the TZ info unless you go into the Preference, Date and Time and change setting to manual. You can switch back to automatic after you have verified you are getting the right time/TZ/daylight info.

Thanks,

I find that for short term travel, I do not change the TZ on my computer for that really messes up the Palm Datebook. I do keep the phone on auto local time and all appts seem to work out right. Palm specifically suggest that I NOT change the computer's time zone (or time for that matter). Hence, I do not use my computer as a watch. I appreciate that some files may not be stamped with the "real" time at which they were created, but this has caused me no problems. I did get into a real mess with the Palm Datebook when I changed the computer's TZ, it changed the times of all my appts as I recall.

BB

blazor,

for us developers that timestamp stuff can become a real issue.

i too, do not update my timezone. I just make sure if I'm going to be in california that the meetings are scheduled at local time.

then I let the phone autoupdate it's clock when I arrive.

that's the least hassle.

I tried changing the timezone once. that hurt. a lot.
    I gave up on the free ipod. And where'd my smilies go?

th3_plague

Originally posted by th3_plague
    blazor,

for us developers that timestamp stuff can become a real issue.

i too, do not update my timezone. I just make sure if I'm going to be in california that the meetings are scheduled at local time.

then I let the phone autoupdate it's clock when I arrive.

that's the least hassle.

I tried changing the timezone once. that hurt. a lot.
    Yup, I should have made that point: I enter all appointments at the local time and just have the phone update to local time. I can reset the TIME not the TIMEZONE on the computer if I want my computer alarms to go off at the right time (doing so does not change the Palm desktop).

BB

BB
    After East coast and West coast travel all year - thats the only solution - especially to prevent desktop to change plane departure times and really screw me up - wish palm desktop had a permament fix in cells like excel.
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright