+ Reply to Thread

AvantGo fatal errors - common?

I installed AvantGo onto my phone a couple weeks ago. Sometimes (usually when my reception is spotty) I'll get a fatal exception error while browsing through the articles. This only happens in AvantGo, so I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem with the program. And, more importantly, does anyone know how to fix it?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    !! CJSuh !!

If ignorance is bliss then I must be the happiest person in the world.

yup, take it off, its horribly unstable on the i5. I had it on there the first week I got the phone and haven't had it on there since that time a year ago. If you fade in and out of signal you'll get a fatal error everytime.
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/communi...x15/blue_1.gif
    Get FireFox!

phones: Sam 8500, Sam a460, Sam i500, Treo 650
    Plan: $39.99= 750AT/3000NW@8/UnlPcs2Pcs/FIMF + $10 Vision + $5 SMS

I'm resurrecting this thread to confirm that I have the same problem.

And it seems JRoss's diagnosis is right on. The problem doesn't appear unless I have a weak signal.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good replacement?

I have Avantgo and have never had a problem. I have it set to work off line and only connect as needed. I have never had it crash, although I am a fairly recent conversion. I have had the I500 about a month.

Ed

Avantgo crashes once a week and it is right after a sync and I am reading an article. I am not online, just reading the article that downloaded via the hotsync. No rhym or reason.

What i have found with this problem, is it only happens if my phone is on. With the phone off Avantgo doesnt get the fatal error with the phone off. So i hot sync, and when i want to read the articles(usually in the latrene), i just turn my phone off and no problem browsing the articles. Anybody else experience this?

Originally posted by boyddo
    What i have found with this problem, is it only happens if my phone is on. With the phone off Avantgo doesnt get the fatal error with the phone off. So i hot sync, and when i want to read the articles(usually in the latrene), i just turn my phone off and no problem browsing the articles. Anybody else experience this?
    Yes, that is my experience too. With the phone on, Avantgo crashes when the signal is weak or fades out. Turning the phone off avoids the problem.

firmware version?

Is this Avantgo problem related to firmware version? I have WK19, and Avantgo crashes when I have a weak signal. My neighbor has an i500 with XG23 firmware and never has a problem with Avantgo.

Does the new firmware (XG23) fix the Avantgo crashing problem?

It might. I have never had a problem with the new f/w, but think I might have with the prior f/w.

Good luck.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

I have a different problem w/ Avantgo

Every fourth or fifth time I sync, my Hotsync freezes and gets stuck on the Avantgo sync...and then I have to hit control/alt/delete to get it off my computer. Afterwards, it will be days before I can sync Avantgo again because it keeps freezing. Anyone else have this problem (I have the newest software version)? Thanks.

Fully Converged

Re: firmware version?

Originally posted by logicprobe
    Is this Avantgo problem related to firmware version? I have WK19, and Avantgo crashes when I have a weak signal. My neighbor has an i500 with XG23 firmware and never has a problem with Avantgo.

Does the new firmware (XG23) fix the Avantgo crashing problem?
    I have XG23 and I continue to get the Fatal Exception. What was I thinking reloading Avantgo (wireless sync), it's as unstable as when I first loaded it on my (new) I5 in June 2003.

REMOVE IT to fix your issues!
    msccjohnson

Avantgo seems to work quite well for me--like the prostitue, just lucky, I guess.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

I have the same problem with Avantgo. If I make sure Vision is disconnected while reading the articles, I don't get the "fatal exception"

Originally posted by aau007
    I have the same problem with Avantgo. If I make sure Vision is disconnected while reading the articles, I don't get the "fatal exception"
    I've found that turning the phone off prevents the fatal exceptions.

Originally posted by dbett
    I've found that turning the phone off prevents the fatal exceptions.
    That's not really a feasible option for me. Using it as a combo phone/pda is one of the reasons I bought the i500. Otherwise, I would have just bought a Tunsten.

Originally posted by aau007
    That's not really a feasible option for me. Using it as a combo phone/pda is one of the reasons I bought the i500. Otherwise, I would have just bought a Tunsten.

You don't have to turn off the phone all the time, just when you are (1) reading articles on AvantGo and (2) have a very low/non-existent signal (ie, when the phone is not going to be working very well anyway).

Or you can (1) stop using AvantGo, (2) deal with the resets or (3) only use it when you have a good signal.

dbett,

I am doing a couple of things to deal with it.
    1. If I keep Vision off while reading in AvantGo, I don't get fatal exception much. Maybe once out of 20 to 30 times. I am not sure if I have weak signal when it happens though.
    2. When I do get one, I just soft reset my phone. It costs me about a minute or two for the phone to boot up but since I don't get FSOD like I used to with the I330, I just deal with it.