+ Reply to Thread

Vision Services vs. 'Wireless Web' ?

OK, so I finally just upgraded from my Kyocera 6035 to the i500 (love the color)! With the old hardware, I'd been paying $5/month for 'Wirelss Web' and connecting directly via a dialup* account, popping my various Earthlink email accounts throughout the day, using only airtime minutes. (*The main reason I still have/use a dialup account!) On this new phone, however, I could not see an exact correlation in the 'Preferences/Connection' settings to be able to do the same thing...

So, following the directions from the various posts in this Forum, I connected via the Sprint PCS Vision Service (which I don't think I'm actually signed up for) using my Sprint username and password... The speed is great! --But does this mean I will now be charged for data transfer each time I connect (unless I pay the $15 monthly fee for unlimited)?

Does anyone know how I could go back to using the phone as a wireless modem to dialup and therefore only be using up airtime minutes? And what kind of speed could I expect with this new hardware using 'Wireless Web'? (hopefully better than the 14.4 on the old one...or is it about their network??)

Thanks
    (and I thought I was a geekess...)

Administrator
    yes you will be charged by the kb so if you u se it often its best to sign up for vision.

you can not use #2932 (wireless web) on vision phones.

you can use it as a modem via #777, as long as you dont overuse it, you wont be charged more than the $15 unlimited plan, you also will not be charged any minutes, the network has a speed capacity of up to 140 kbps.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    yes you will be charged by the kb so if you u se it often its best to sign up for vision.

you can not use #2932 (wireless web) on vision phones.
    hmmm... Why can't I use #2932 (wireless web) on a Vision phone?

Originally posted by csky
    hmmm... Why can't I use #2932 (wireless web) on a Vision phone?
    you could it just wont work
    there's also a modem tutorial in the faq's
    Last edited by i330; 08-24-2004 at 06:51 PM.
    My Palm phone evolution:

Administrator
    #2932 uses data on the voice channels. vision uses its own bandwidth seperate of voice channels which is why you are not charged voice minutes and why you are charged by the kb.

Originally posted by i330
    you can use it as a modem via #777, as long as you dont overuse it, you wont be charged more than the $15 unlimited plan, you also will not be charged any minutes, the network has a speed capacity of up to 140 kbps.
    I just hooked up my laptop to use the phone/cradle as a modem. It's working great.
    So what's "overuse"?
    I have a monster plan with 1800 min and unlimited vision. I also notice in the FAQs that the new upgrade sometimes leaves blazer on without shutting off.
    If that's going on, could they even tell I'm using it that much?
    Final question, cause I'm curious. Why doesn't it need a password to sign onto the network, but vision/blazer uses me@sprintpcs.com everytime it signs on?
    Fatal Again!

Originally posted by notsean
    I just hooked up my laptop to use the phone/cradle as a modem. It's working great.
    So what's "overuse"?
    I have a monster plan with 1800 min and unlimited vision. I also notice in the FAQs that the new upgrade sometimes leaves blazer on without shutting off.
    If that's going on, could they even tell I'm using it that much?
    Final question, cause I'm curious. Why doesn't it need a password to sign onto the network, but vision/blazer uses me@sprintpcs.com everytime it signs on?
    -there is no official limit for overuse, although i have only heard of vision being terminated for using more than a gig.
    -blazer not shutting off has nothing to do with using data-the problem is that it isnt using data, and it loses the connection.
    -your computer is tapping into your sprint connection on your phone-which has all the id and password info you need.
    My Palm phone evolution:

Thanks.

Originally posted by i330
    [-your computer is tapping into your sprint connection on your phone-which has all the id and password info you need. [/B]
    So couldn't they tell you're using it as a modem?
    Fatal Again!

Administrator
    they dont care about wireless web usage, but they do care if you use a vision phone as a modem because they have air cards that are for that purpose.

they would notice a vision phone user using the phone as a modem. for practical purposes, its just not reasonable to do a gig of surfing from a tiny phone screen.. so certain flags would pop up in your account and they would look into it...

Originally posted by notsean
    Thanks.

So couldn't they tell you're using it as a modem?
    the system does not diffrenciate between a connection on the i500 or as a modem. as marc said, they figure its impossible to use a gig on the i500 so they'll zap you for that. but as for right now its kind of like downloading music off kazaa, theyre only going after the people that take huge advantage of the system, and there have been extremely few cases off people being busted, but do it at your own risk!
    My Palm phone evolution:

Can I browse the web for free

I too had the QCP3035 and not upgraded to the I500 due to the equipment replacement program. I am not too keen about spending more than the $5 more a month for wireless web. I see something about #777, but I do not know what this is or how to implement it. Do I have any options other than spending $15 per month or per kb?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

typo

sorry I orginally had the qcp6035

Administrator
    #777 is the vision number thats used for vision enabled phones. #2932 is the old Wireless Web access.

in ordeer to use vision, you will be charged per kb or you can buy a package.

you can not use #777 on a non vision phone, so there is nothing to "implement"...

Visoon enabled

Ok, so I signed up for vision and the first two months are free. Is there any advantage to use #777. Also, in some other threads they were talking about using Web Pro v1.1 instead of Blzaer. Would people use this for functionality reasons or is there a way of using the web on this phone for free? I am sorry if I am repetitive about this. I am rather annoyed that I have to pay more on my plan just beacuse they do not have any more qcp 6035's

Administrator
    you have no choice but to use vision (#777) on a vision enabled phone. web pro may be a better browser than blazer...

Wireless Web / Vision

hey guys,
    I had to post here, lol. Anyways, I use my vision quite a bit. I want to make something very clear for you wirless web users - this technology has been available (vision) for nearly 2 years. #2932 pulls from your VOICE minutes, and costs you $5 per month. I got vision for $10 a month when it first came out on the i330, and was elated to find that I had a high speed connection, with no aimtime usage (better for modem use), and higher connection speeds. That is the "Advantage" to #777. LOL.

i330: I have used Vision 2+/gigs in some months, the persecution for modem use is commonly among NEW users of the service, not people who have paid for it for 2+ years. Just a thought, I have no basis for believe its true.

I won't negate what you are saying, but as someone who uses Vision a bit more casually (I have full Internet multiple T1 access at work and cable modem at home), I feel that $10/month is just at the edge of what I am willing to pay for the service. I probably would not have Vision at $15/month, so luckily Sprint was willing to give it to me for $10 (I suggest that people who are currently paying $15 ask for the $10 rate (w/o Vision packs)).

I think I would actually prefer the WW rate, i.e. Vision access at $5/month + airtime minutes, as I generally have sufficient leftover minutes that would cover my Vision usage (and certain during NW). Indeed Verizon has its EN (Vision-equivalent) available for $0/month + airtime, so that would be better still.

Other than checking my email or something quick via Blazer while I am waiting around or in a boring lecture, I simply don't use Vision that much. The only time I use Vision for hours is when I am traveling and want Internet access from my hotel, but I still think that usage could be covered by airtime discounting. And I don't foresee my Vision usage increasing, at least in the near term. There is just no compelling reason for it. And similarly I am not that excited about EV-DO, etc. I just want me email and casual web browsing, which is adequate at 100kb/s.

I'm betting that most people have or would have a Vision usage pattern more like mine than yours, and therefore I would advocate that Sprint offer an alternative Vision rate of $0-5/month + airtime.

After trying forn two or three months for the $10 rate instead of $15 - I finally got a CE to change. Why or when it became available again - I do not know - however - I am now at $10 - keep trying (family plan at $5 extra per line for Vision and 100 text messages is also a great deal)
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright