+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26
    Can anyone point me to a detailed FAQ for installing the firmware?
    I too have encountered the grumpy tech who told me I should download it from Samsung otherwise he would do a complete refurb.

Unhappy $15 for this upgrade in San Francisco?!

I thought I'd finally get the firmware upgrade while taking my other phone in for service. I took down the details from this thread; I called the Van Ness store in San Francisco and spoke to someone who said they had the cable for the upgrade. Surely, I'm good to go?!

So I confidently walk in and go to the service desk. The surly guy there redirects me to the sales people. I tell the sales person "Thuy" I want the software upgrade. He's not paying attention and thinks I want to upgrade to a new phone. I explain, no, it's a firmware upgrade. He tells me to get it from the web. No, I correct him, it's a firmware upgrade that Sprint can install that isn't available from Sprint's Web site. So he tells me they can do it, but it'll cost me $15 because it's a "Level 1 Walk-In Service" item, and points to the service brochure.

I tell him no, this is a free upgrade that fixes bugs, but he won't budge and says the plan changed.

So I call *2 and after 28 minutes wait speak to "Scott" about this. He tells me Sprint's policy has changed and yes, despite what I read on a forum they do charge $15 for upgrades. He wants to know what specific problems I'm having with the phone.

Any comments?! Is there some magic phrase that will get Sprint to provide this firmware upgrade? Should I pay the fee and then attempt to get a service credit?

"Thuy" also point-blank refused to even look at the other broken phone (Sanyo MM-9000), saying I would have to take it up with the manufacturer, even though the warranty expressly states "Sprint will, at its option, either pay the parts and labor charges to any authorized PCS® Phone service facility to repair or replace a defective product". But I've taken that up on another thread.
    =S
    Clamshell w/ PalmOS + camera + MP3 + 4GB expansion card + GPS + Bluetooth + WiFi... build it already!

I would get the u/g and call CS after you get the charage on your bill. They can get level two tech support on the line to confirm that there is a bug in the prior version. A few guys here have got the charge reversed. I think one was charged $30 or $35.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

I got a credit and never even got the firmware installed.

Called CS ahead since I knew the store manager wouldn't budge on the price...talk to the service tech who told me to come in that day for the install, then he says No - get it from the web.

I suggest you call the no wait/direct to rep CS line.

Quote Originally Posted by spage
    Any comments?! Is there some magic phrase that will get Sprint to provide this firmware upgrade?
    Can't answer all your questions, but the XG23 firmware wrt to the original firmware addresses two issues, Thinkpad IR syncing and network connectivity. So I would tell them that you are having problems syncing your i500 to your Thinkpad via IR and this firmware fixes this defect.

SPH-I500 flashing How-to

Registered User SemiAutoSyclone's Avatar
    can anyone by chance verify the above link?
    Sprint Share Plan: Treo 755p & Samsung a900 sharing 1000 whenever minutes. Unlimited nights (after 7) and weekends, unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited text and data plan. RIP i500 =]

Thumbs up

Yes, I just flashed my firmware with those files and according to the instructions posted. I ran into a little trouble (see my replies to the above link), but I've got the XG23 firmware on my phone now and didn't have to browbeat a Sprint tech into doing it for me.

Great to have a verification, thanks to both Pat and his cat.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy
    Great to have a verification, thanks to both Pat and his cat.

BB
    I just did this using Win2K SP4 and no probs at all. Havent used the phone as i 'just' did the upgrade and resynched all my apps and settings as of 6:51 pm.

Hmm, I tried Pat's procedure and can't get it to work. UniPST for Sprint can read from my phone but when I try to open the BIN file, I get ">>>Not Supported". I even did a hard reset on my phone but I get the same results.

The other UniPST app does not list the SPH-i500.

Any ideas?

Nevermind...I had to read down in the forum and download the Universal PST version 2.535, which was attached to the post, NOT the links in the post.

upgrade successful, thanks

Question Anything to do b4 the u/g?

After reading most of this thread, I see that this firmware u/g will improve the i500's mic, so I want to try it (cuz everyone complains they can't hear me). But, I want to make sure I really know what I'm doing first.

I have done nothing to my i500's software/firmware/etc. since purchasing it, except for getting a couple of PRL updates over the phone from CS.
    I've looked at the instructions over on the mobile-files.com link from patpat (thx for that BTW), and I can/do sync my phone and computer (WinXP) with the cradle/cable. Now, I'm wondering...

1) Anything specific I should make sure is backed up beforehand, and how do I do it/check it.

2) Is there anything else I should do/install/upgrade/etc. before I do this u/g?

Thx to all--Ranium

Greeting from Kyoto.

Just do a complete sync on a reliable computer before you do the backup. You might make a hand copy of any voice dials for them may not come back. All else should resync.

Good luck.

BB

Thanks BB.
    I did the upgrade today. It was successful, although I got weirdness at the end. During the install a little message box came on the screen saying something like...
    If this message does not go away, try holding down the Vol-down button and the Record button on the phone at the same time, and then poke the reset hole on the bottom right.
    It seemed the install process caused the phone to turn off and then back on, but it could not complete the restart process... got stuck and needed me to reset it manually.
    After the reset, the message box on the PC didn't go away... only way to clear it was to click the Close X. When I did this, the install said it failed... so I tried to run it again--same thing happened. So, I looked at the ##786-screen on the phone and it said the XG23 was there!
    I resync'd and so far today all seems well. I did loose my voice dials and about every other one of my speed dials (that was weird too).

Anyway, thought I would relate my experience in case it helps someone else.

Melanie (Ranium)

glad it worked out. I have only done upgrades at the stores, but I do not think those can be done anymore.

BB

The wonderful world of wireless! naturalsister's Avatar
    I followed the instructions in patpat's post and it seems that everything went as it should. In the UniPST Download Mode screen, it said >>>Completed!!! about 40 seconds after pressing the Phone_PDA Button. I still waited the 3-4 minutes suggested.

Except, when I check the version, it's still the old one.

I did notice though, I never was sure I have the BC_XG23.BIN file.
    Also, should I do a hard re-set first?
    Should the phone be powered up during u/g?

Thanks - I know you guys do this stuff in your sleep.

later - naturalsister
    Bye, bye Centro - Pre next!