+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Blazorboy... Where is this mnf date and usage date at?

Re: forum knows more than the Sprint store

Originally posted by spage
    I just bought an sph-i500 (cracking the screen of your sph-i300 will do that to you and confidently asked the Sprint store (Van Ness in S.F.) to install the latest XG23 firmware.

Sales 1. "No, you download it from the Web"
    Sales 2. "Go to samsung.com and install it over your cable"

I call the tech out and show him this thread on my brand-spanking new phone. He goes in the back for several minutes and says Sprint hasn't got any new software for the sph-i500 but they've had version 23 for a long time and can install it for me "if I want" although he doesn't have much experience with this phone.

Hmmm.
    LMAO!!!!!
    That is just great!
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Originally posted by Guvner..
    ##run>OK
    My Palm phone evolution:

Fully Converged
    Originally posted by msccjohnson
    ...and I assume it fixes the Thinkpad sync and mic sensetivity issues previously addressed in WK19??

(now the difficult part, explaining to my local Sprint store what it is I'm looking for and how to install it...ugh! I dread the thought...)

Atleast Samsung/Sprint seems to be addressing I500 requests/legitimate limitations.
    .....well, I hate to say I told you so, but I TOLD YOU SO!

Last night I arrived at my local PCS store at 5:45pm and left 2 hours later without the upgrade to my I500. Of course, only after first standing in line 40 minutes to simply reach a sales associate, who promptly took the phone to the store tech, who we later found out left the store at approximately 7:05pm (guess he figured he'd put in his 8hrs!!) without notifying anyone or flashing my phone as per his store managers request.

.....so you ask, what did I get for my time and troubles.... a simple I'm sorry and a hand shake...

"SPRINT...MAKING WIRELESS BETTER" ha, what a joke!
    msccjohnson

Originally posted by Guvner..

The mnf date in under the battery. (Be sure to shut off the phone before removing the battery.) The other info is as i330 said.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

I finally figured out what your syntax was.... xxrun...

It has 15 minutes on it now and isn't a refurb... But it does have WF30 on it...

Can you break down the date code under the battery as to what it means?

Thanks... Gary

mine reads 03.07, which translates to July, 2003
    My Palm phone evolution:

mine is 04.04 = 4/2004 (it was a store swap). Yours must have been in stock for some time to have the old f/w.

But it is new given the time value.

BB

jlv
    I asked yesterday and was told the cable is not a standard USB sync cable. I had brought mine with me.

As best I can tell, all the Sprint stores in Massachusetts say the Brookline support store is the only place to get the firmware upgrade. But I can't verify that, because no one from that store EVER answers the phone.

I'm not driving all the way to Brookline on a whim.

So, anyone from MA get their phone upgraded to XG23 yet?

Not yet, but I may venture over the river to Brookline--do I need a passport?

BB

So, what kind of cable is it?
    Nicky

Originally posted by msccjohnson
    .....well, I hate to say I told you so, but I TOLD YOU SO!

Last night I arrived at my local PCS store at 5:45pm and left 2 hours later without the upgrade to my I500. Of course, only after first standing in line 40 minutes to simply reach a sales associate, who promptly took the phone to the store tech, who we later found out left the store at approximately 7:05pm (guess he figured he'd put in his 8hrs!!) without notifying anyone or flashing my phone as per his store managers request.

.....so you ask, what did I get for my time and troubles.... a simple I'm sorry and a hand shake...

"SPRINT...MAKING WIRELESS BETTER" ha, what a joke!
    I had a similar experience today at 2 sprint stores. The lesson learned is to ALWAYS CALL AHEAD! I went to a store in Deerfield, IL only to find out tht they did not have the cable to do the upgrade for the I500. They sent me over to the store at the corner of Lincoln and Devon in Chciago. I went there, and after getting the run around from several different techs and sales associates, no one there had a clue as to what I was talking about, even after showing them this website and this post through my I500! Either they are totally incompetent as they showed no interest in my dilema, or they really had not yet received the firmware update. I have to get back to class right now, if anyone wants more information, I will divulge later.

It is so funny (not funny - ha ha, funny - strange) how these Sprint personnel react. My Sprint store isn't out of my way. I always stop by when I know I have plenty of time. And, I have become good buddies with the tech (he runs screaming from the store when I walk in).

When I asked my tech about the firmware, he immediately jumped on the computer to check it out. I told him that "my people" had told me about it, and he laughed ... of course, I get all of my info from "my people." He told me he had to "check on something" and went to the back room. I kept an eye out to make sure he didn't try to escape ~ I know where the back door is

Anyway, he came back and told me that he would have the firmware in a week. He said that it had come out on 8/17. I mentioned the wk19, and he said that there was a big red note saying not to use that.

My main concern is that he asked me to bring my cable (no biggie), but you guys are saying that is not the cable needed. So, what cable do I need?

P.S. I am also curious if this upgrade includes the mic fix since that is the main reason that I am upgrading.
    Last edited by nsanders; 09-01-2004 at 08:05 PM.
    Nicky

My local store said pretty much the same thing: "We got the message that it was available for us to download about a week ago, but we're not quite 'set up' to do it yet. Contact us in about a week." We shall see...

Also he blurted out without prompting that the new firmware fixes "something to do with Business Connection". I said that I understood that it fixes a Thinkpad IR sync problem and a mike sensitivity issue. He didn't respond...

You guys have to remember how much more interesting these toys are to us than someone who has this for a job.

There's a couple guys there that enjoy working with all this technology but my guess is Sprint is paying them way below what a good job would be paying them.

Any Sprint techs out there?

Happily Converged
    I have now been to both of the only two Sprint PCS stores in midtown Manhattan that claim to offer tech support. Neither had a clue how to update the software (they have no idea what "firmware" means). Each said "try another Sprint store".

Originally posted by booklaw
    I have now been to both of the only two Sprint PCS stores in midtown Manhattan that claim to offer tech support. Neither had a clue how to update the software (they have no idea what "firmware" means). Each said "try another Sprint store".
    did you go to 42nd-bryant park yet?
    My Palm phone evolution:

Happily Converged
    Yes. I went yesterday. They were worse than useless. First they tried to tell me that I had to download the software update from the internet; then they showed me a book which claimed that the --19 software was the latest available, but was not recommended, and that they should instead default to WF30.

Then they (the customer service rep, after twice checking with a tech who refused to come out of the back room) told me that they had no idea how to install any software on the i500, and that I should "try another store".

Worse than useless.

Happily Converged
    One more note: When I asked to exchange my phone for a new phone with the XG23 software, they showed me their newest phone, which had the discredited --19 software.

Originally posted by booklaw
    Yes. I went yesterday. They were worse than useless. First they tried to tell me that I had to download the software update from the internet; then they showed me a book which claimed that the --19 software was the latest available, but was not recommended, and that they should instead default to WF30.

Then they (the customer service rep, after twice checking with a tech who refused to come out of the back room) told me that they had no idea how to install any software on the i500, and that I should "try another store".

Worse than useless.
    Print up this thread and shove it in the tech's face!
    My Palm phone evolution: