+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    I'm in the Washington DC area, I've also had two Sprint store sales reps confer with their "technician" who said that I had to download the firmware update from the Sprint website. Man, if only we could...

jlv
    Originally posted by nsanders
    My main concern is that he asked me to bring my cable (no biggie), but you guys are saying that is not the cable needed. So, what cable do I need?
    The local Sprint store near me told me that. However, I think that they do not know what they are talking about.

Fully Converged
    Originally posted by msccjohnson
    .....well, I hate to say I told you so, but I TOLD YOU SO!

Last night I arrived at my local PCS store at 5:45pm and left 2 hours later without the upgrade to my I500. Of course, only after first standing in line 40 minutes to simply reach a sales associate, who promptly took the phone to the store tech, who we later found out left the store at approximately 7:05pm (guess he figured he'd put in his 8hrs!!) without notifying anyone or flashing my phone as per his store managers request.

.....so you ask, what did I get for my time and troubles.... a simple I'm sorry and a hand shake...

"SPRINT...MAKING WIRELESS BETTER" ha, what a joke!
    FINALLY SWEET SUCCESS!!! I was able to get confirmation from the tech at my local NC store (you go Mike!!) that he had the software, the cable and the ability to put XG23 on my phone.

I arrived at 11:30am and he was finished at 11:40am!!

Come to find out he was the Tech/Rep. who I purchased my phone from back in June 2003. He is apparently helping with this store as it is a new start up. I told him if he leaves he needs to let me know what store he ends up at next.

I'm going to call him and ask if it is ok to use his name and store as a possible resource for (other store techs) that those of you out there seem to be fighting an up hill battle with over this upgrade...

(MIKE just saved Sprints you know what in my eyes!!)
    msccjohnson

msccjohnson:

Did you go from WF30 straight to XG23 or did you also get the WK19?

If you went straight from WF30 ...
    Does the XG23 fix the mic sensitivity?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. Congrats on your success!
    Nicky

msccjohnson:

Thanks for the help.

skipping wk19 or not will not make a difference in whether the problems from wf30 are fixed.
    IMHO, xg23 must also fix ibm ir sync and mic sensitivity, or else it why would it be released? it would just be a glorified wf30 with a new name and a slightly smarter data connection...
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Yes, I would assume so, but I just wanted to check (you know what happens when we assume). So, XG23 "should" include all of the good stuff from WK19 and correct all of the bad. That is what I am counting on.
    Nicky

I will attempt to compare my xg23 against a wk19 as soon as i can...until then i would say it's a very safe assumption, after all the a500 had like 4 firmware's, and they didnt announce the fixes that the 2nd firmware had when the 4th caame out-obviously because even samsung wouldn't be stupid enough to release a firmware that fixes new bugs, but doesnt fix what they already fixed...
    My Palm phone evolution:

jlv
    The new firmware is not a "patch", it is the whole image (think "program"). Installing it is a complete replacement, there is no incremental effect.

You can take it all with you

nyc - maybe try the sprint store @ 77&Bway

Earpiece on my first phone stopped working, I took it to this store and within 15 minutes (including on-line time) they replaced it no hassle. I have WK19 and haven't been annoyed enough yet to ask for an upgrade, but perhaps some of you (e.g. booklaw) who tried the midtown stores might want to try this one next. It's the least crowded store that seems to offer full service that I've been to. But YMMV. If I do go in, I'll post about the experience.

now that more people are getting the new firmware..

has anyone else tested the SMS?? Does the MID now come through after the upgrade for anyone??
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

Fully Converged
    msccjohnson:

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I switched/flashed from WF30 straight to XG23.

Yes, I beleive that XG23 fixed the mic sensitivity issues as I have spoken to several people over the last 2 days either setting the phone down in front of me on the desk or holding it away from my mouth (i.e. Nextel walkie-talkie style). I have had no complaints thus far from the people on the other end of the line. I will continue to experiment and advise...

I have not yet had time to attempt an IR sync with my old IBM ThinkPad but will advise as to that issue after the holiday weekend.
    msccjohnson

Well for anyone in the Baltimore/Towson area, Kevin at the Towson Sprint store just flashed my phone to XG23. In and out in about 15 minutes with no problems.

Anyone have luck in MA/Boston area??

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

any luck in South Florida or Chicago area stores?

Thanks,

Jason
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/communi...x15/blue_1.gif
    Get FireFox!

phones: Sam 8500, Sam a460, Sam i500, Treo 650
    Plan: $39.99= 750AT/3000NW@8/UnlPcs2Pcs/FIMF + $10 Vision + $5 SMS

I just got the update in the Reston store in Northern Virginia...They took the phone and 30 mins later it was done. I havent tested it yet.

On a side note, I asked the guy if they had any batteries for sale (I had lost my standard in a recent move) and he went in the back to check, they didnt have any for sale, but they had one laying around...which he gave me =)

Xith

jlv

Arrow Framingham MA has XG23, but...

I finally got through on the phone to the Brookline Service Store. They almost never answer it - I've called 15 times over the last week. When I asked if they have the firmware update, the first thing they told me was "oh, you download that from the website".

That's supposed to be the main store for Sprint service in MA.

When I corrected her, I got transferred to another tech, who said it wasn't available yet. When I said it was, he checked. But then he said he didn't have it, and wasn't set up to upgrade any i500s anyway. He suggested I come in (25 mile drive) and they would swap my phone for one in stock... which would most likely have the WK19 firmware.

Then he said, he would check on it "in back". He put me on hold for 5 minutes... and then I heard "click, click" (someone picking up and putting down the phone). When I tried to call back, they didn't answer.

That was when I thought I'm done letting them waste my time. I was close to the Framingham store, and went there. When I first reported this problem to them 3 weeks ago, the first "vision tech" had marked my account as having a bad phone, and told me to go in to get a replacement. Well, if they want to waste my time, I'll be glad to waste their $$. I intended on getting a replacement, since they insist that would fix my problem.

The tech on duty was the one who was there the time before last when I went in (with my own Samsung USB cable, and when the manager said that cable wouldn't work).

He told me he still didn't have the update, and couldn't get a cable anyway. I told him to order me a replacement phone. He starting checking, and said, "You know, you're likely to get the same firmware you have now". I agreed with him, and said it wasn't what I really wanted, but that it was what I've been told over and over was the only way to resolve the problem.

I asked him what type of cable he needs. "USB". I told him I had a Sprint/Samsung USB cable.

That's when he started being really helpful.

He said the "latest firmware list" he has is the one distributed to all stores, but it comes out once a month. It's dated August 5. No wonder every store says they don't have it.

I explained that the firmware came out since then. He said, "Ah!" (and I saw a lightbulb go off). He said Sprint pushes firmware upgrades to their computer in the back, and went to check. He came back 1 minute later and he has XG23.

This is likely to be true in all stores! The list won't have it, but it will be in their upgrade computer.

Since I didn't have my cable, nor the time to go back today, I arranged to stop in next time he's working to try my cable. I'll let you know Wednesday night.

I too have been having the blazer time-out issue, and want the new firmware.

Well, I spent an hour on the phone this morning trying to locate a Sprint store around Chicago that could do the WK19 to XG23 firmware upgrade. I called the Sprint stores in Wheaton, LaGrange, Scottsdale, Lombard, Orland Park. and finally Lansing.

Well.....I got 3 "you need to download that from Sprint or Samsung's website," comments, as well as 2 "we don't upgrade PDSphones in the Sprint stores." The tech at Scottsdale wasn't in today, but supposedly (per the folks in Orland Park) they have it (that's the Sprint Store at 8071 S Cicero Ave - 773.838.5400) as well as the store in Lansing (17545 S Torrence, Lansing IL 708.889.2900)

Unfortunately, the tech in Lansing (who DID confirm that they have the cable AND XG23) said that their upgrade systems weren't acting right, but if I came in, today, they'd "give it a shot."

I'm going to call Scottsdale tomorrow (it's closer to my home) and if the tech is in, will bop down there and get the new firmware. Will report on my experience after it happens.

Wish me luck,
    webmom

to all of you upgrading-just remember that you will lose all your info-so make sure its backed up first!
    Also here is some good advice for those of you having problems upgrading form spcsinfo,
    "What to do when your phone's firmware is out-of-date? Take the phone to your nearest Sprint Store and ask for a software update to your phone. It usually takes about a half-hour. WHEN YOU GET THE PHONE BACK ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE THAT THEY APPLIED THE UPDATE. Many reps think you're stupid and only update the PRL rather than take the time to do the job right. Also, make sure the store has the latest firmware loaded onto their systems before giving them your phone. If they don't have the latest demand to speak with the tech and instruct them to download the latest software from Sprint. "
    My Palm phone evolution:

I have now been to four stores in Indianapolis (3 which actually took my phone and said they would get the update done.) It is still version WK19! I can't believe this. I have had nothing but problems with Sprint since I bought this phone. No wonder Sprint doesnt like selling Palm phones. Their employees are to f****in' stupid to understand how to provide quality service to people who pay $600 for a freakin phone. They have finally put me over the edge. I cant believe no other company has the ability to provide us with phones that can be compared with the Sprint phones.
    I have seen several people saying how frustrated they are that Sprint wants us to screw Lockline when we try to get i550's, but I can't wait! WE ALL DESERVE PHONES THAT MORE THAN HALFWAY WORK! With the amount of money and time I have spent BETA TESTING this freakin' phone it should be worth at least $15 grand by now! SPRINT and SAMSUNG SHOULD BE PAYING US!!! If I bought a car that had this many issues, I think I would sue the company selling it. The i500 (as cool as it may look) is the biggest "lemon" of phones that exists. I should know, I am now on my 4th i500 since July, 2003. PLEASE HELP ME COME UP WITH A WAY TO BE TREATED FAIRLY!!!

jlv
    If you read what I said up above,you'll have much less grief:

Stores that have any software upgrade ability WILL have the firmware. Sprint will have pushed the upgrade to their computer automatically when it was released.

The master "latest firmware list" document is out of date: it is from August 5, before the XG23 firmware was released. It will only say "Do not install WK19". Presumably, when the new list comes out, it will list XG23.

So, if they tell you they do not have the firmware, tell them to check on the upgrade computer, rather than looking at the firmware list.

If they tell you they don't have a cable, then point them to the Sprint i500 accessories page. (I will verify that the USB Sync cable works tomorrow)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast