+ Reply to Thread

SPH i500 or Treo 600?

Let me explain my situation.

I'm a poor student, relatively. By relatively I mean I want a PDA phone but gadgets aren't huge in my book so I'm not one to be spending top dollar on the latest and greatest-- as much as I may wanted.

That said, I bought an SPH i330 on Ebay a few months back for $120. It's been good to me, but I've not been nice to it. It's had it's usual wear and tear I've put it through. Couple that with the problems it has on its own-- hard resetting by itself, crashing, no SMS and duplicate messages that eat up my 100 message limit --its been a pain in the butt. So I called a day or so ago lockline and they replaced my i330 with an i500. The i500 I've noticed is still getting around $300 or more on places like Ebay, here, and the occasional Craigslist ad I see. I also notice I can get a Treo 600 for the same price.

So my dilemma is that the i500 has more obsolete software and hardware. It has Palm 4.1 and no card slot, so I'm stuck with 16 MB. Other than that, it seems like a great phone. I don't understand why it's priced the same as a Treo.

I don't know all the lingo, but the Treo 600 has an SD slot, yes? Meaning I could put a bluetooth card in there. (yes, I know the Treo 650 is coming out and it has bluetooth, but I'm poor, remember?) I also could put a lot of extra memory in the sucker and watch movies or listen to MP3s. These are all features that sound cool.

But then why are y'all so attached to the SPH i500? I personally might just keep it because it's prettier. Having a damn keyboard on a phone just seems so excessive. Sorry this was long-winded. BTW, and I'll look it up, how much will the Treo 650 cost?

treo 600 will not work with the bluetooth sd card period-it hasnt been done to this date.
    if you go to the treo roadshow like the ones coming up i believe in nyc, boston and d.c. you can snag a 650 for $349.
    i500=1st, and only pdaphone that wont be mistaken for a banana in your pocket...end of story.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Question Should I switch to Treo 600?

I have had my i500 for about 1 year now.
    My friend just bought a new phone on a different carrier and gave me his Treo 600 for Sprint.

My question is this:
    Do I switch to the Treo 600 or stay with the i500?

I'd like to hear from ex Treo owners who switched to the i500 and see what they have to say.

As I see it, the only down side is the size of the phone. Other then that, it seems that the Treo would offer all the things the i500 fails on - SMS that works, expansion slot that can fit countless of goodies (WiFi, MP3, GPS...)

I am not bad mouthing the i500. And if my friend hadn't given me the Treo I wouldn't even be thinking about switching.

Let me know what people honestly think about the Treo.
    Thanks
    -Mike

Why not do an esn swap and try it out? I think the only cost would be the resetting of your upgrade clock. The actually swap is relatively painless and cost free otherwise. just a thought.

If you travel and lack of a replacable battery, that might prove a problem. And, as you know, around here SIZE rules.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Until Sprint replaced my fifth Treo 300 after numerous warranty problems, I thought I wanted a Treo 600. Sprint offered me an i500 as a replacement, adn I gladly took what I could get to get away from the crappy (in my opinion) Treo 300. After getting used to it (a week or so to adjust) I realized that the Treo was not something I woudl be interested in again, not even the 650 when it comes out.

The things I like about the Treo 600, are things that I don't miss on the i500, for the most part.

I like the keyboard, but I do well with Grafitti, and like it better for some things.

I like the updated OS on the Treo, but the i500 does everything I need it to do and more.

I like the SD slot on the Treo, but have never maxed the 16MB memory on my i500 or my Treo 300 before it.

I like the MP3 capability on the Treo 600, but it is a feature that I woudl rarely, if ever use.

The screen is a littele bigger on the Treo, but I am afraid I wouldbreak it because it isn't protected.

The screen is supposedly brighter on the Treo, but I have never had a problem with the brightness of the i500.

The 5-way control would be nice, but the i500 has good control with the up/down and OK and Back buttons, for my purposes. Stylus free, with a good screen protector, I just use my fingertips for almost everything but Grafitti, adn I even Grafitti pretty well with my fingertips.

I like the big battery on the Treo, but its life isn't reall much better than the i500, AND I always have a spare battery for the i500 in my holster, something that I couldn't do with the Treo.

I like the idea of a camera, but I have heard nothing good about the quality of it, and I have a digital camera that I like.

All that, and the Treo line is HUGE compared to the i500, so I don't miss people gawking at the huge contraption I was or woudl be holding up to my head and conversing with when I use it as a phone.
    Nationwide Free and Clear Plan, w/ 2 lines, unlimited LD, Unlimited PCS to PCS, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited Vision, Equipment replacement on both lines, roadside assistance, and 2000 anytime minutes. About $98/month after discounts and taxes are included.

Well said, Meep.

I did think of one feature I wish I had (maybe, and only if it did not add much bulk). When I travel w/o my laptop (rarely) it would be nice to have an SD slot in the off chance I would have to do a hard reset. That way I would be able to do a restore w/o my laptop. I can use my Palm m515 as a back up device if I do not have my laptop and really feel I need to be covered.

Everything else, is good enough (to great), so I am not sure I will even switch to the 550. One thing for sure, Treo me no Treos.

BB

I love the compact size of the i500, and i like using graffiti better than the keyboard. Im still waiting for a new smasung or some other comparable flip smartphone. I just dont like the look of the treo 650. I know it has more memory, operates aon os 5.0, digital camera, mp3 player, bluetooth...etc. But right now my i500 has everything i need. So im sticking with what works until i find something else i like better and for me the treo 650 is not it

If your a poor student, stick with the i500. I love mine, and 16mb of memory suits me fine

The i500 is so beautiful!

I just got it. It might be hard to part with it on account that it's so pretty!

But I might.

You need to think hard about what you actually will use and what you think is cool. My coworker has a 600; I've got an i500. Both of us are happy with what we've got. I have no need for a camera; I love graffiti and hate little obnoxious keyboards; I don't care about SMS; and I've never used more than 60% of my memory. I get a tiny (in comparison) unit that is pretty stable, looks like a phone and not a brick....I'm fine with it.

I agree 100% davidra, i like the fact that it looks like a phone, and not a brick. I still have a ton of memory left also. Sure the camera and mp3 player would be great, but this meets all my needs and i am very happy with all things except the text messenging. But im learning to accept it like it is for now

Cool Size matters

Most important is SIZE, and PALM.

Had a Kyocera 7135, could play movies, had a camera phone for a week, did not use it. I am 56 so I don't do SMS? or whatever that is, and eventhough I like the idea of the Treo, it is a brick. I only worry that Samsung will discontinue the i500 and not have the exact sized replacement. For now, the i500 is a dream machine.

Richard

YOu are right rj, size and palm are the key issues.

SMS works (well enough) on the i500 (just get the free or the $20 prog) and is most useful when in meetings to pass on comments or get urgent messages. Even those (well) over 30 use it.

BB

Cool I have both I500 and 600

During the first 4 months of the year I used the I500, then I used the 600 for 5 months, but went back to my I500 and gave my Treo away.
    A bit of background I was a Palm user but switched to Pocket PC when the first iPAQ came out and had a succession of about 9 diffrent Pocket PC's over the years.
    Cell phone wise had a several Startacs, Nokia 8860, 8890, 8260, 8290, a motorola V60, and most recently a custom 8260 jammed into a 8860 shell. No converged, always mutiple devices.
    When I went a new company where they gave me a sprint account and I saw the chance to CONVERGE.
    Started with the I500 because it was about the same size as my old startac and I always like the positive action of opening and closing a flip phone.
    Reality when I looked at what I actually NEEDED a PDA for it was address, datebook, occasional document handling and pictures of the family. Palm will handle all of that and more.
    After 4 months of working with Sprint Reps who all got new Treo 600's techno lust took over and got a treo. 5 months later I gave the Treo away and went back to my 500.
    The three things I miss from the Treo
    1. mute switch,
    2. custom rings tones and ability to have vibrate at all volume settings
    3. native SMS, have teenagers and that hurts sometimes

The camera on the treo was worse than useless I much prefer my canon for that.
    But for size, usefulness and all around pleasure to use no phone or pda has been as much of a pleasure to use every single day as my I500.
    9 Pocket PC's later, back to Palm

wow 4yrs already huh?
    yea i used to have a i330 so im used to having a big "brick" like phone. but im only 23 so i dont need to look to profesional like some of u guys. but my thing is that i need my sms to work right since i have alot of people sending me sms all the time and its hard to respond if i dont kno who its from. n i always have my didgi camera with me so the treo's camera is useless to me. so im stuck cause i love my i500 and it got me my current model gf, but i need to know when she sends me messages so i can respond properly. so i might go with the brick just so i can be able to stay in contact with everyone. or i might get the i600, im so lost.

There's a recent flood of Treo 600's hitting eBay after the Treo 650 came out. I suspect that this might cause a dip in prices, though I haven't seen it yet. (There are, by comparison, many fewer i500's on eBay).

Re: I have both I500 and 600

Originally posted by htb3
    The three things I miss from the Treo
    1. mute switch,
    2. custom rings tones and ability to have vibrate at all volume settings
    3. native SMS, have teenagers and that hurts sometimes
    It took me while since I never use the thing... but the I500 DOES have a MUTE function. When you make a voice call, the function button on the top right turns into a MUTE button and is labelled so on the screen.

SMS, yeah, see other threads. Basically, sending SMS on the I500 is not too, too bad once you get I500SMS. But receiving SMS is very problematic because you don't get the sender info. So if you have several girlfriends SMS'ing you, you are going to get in trouble .

I like PPC phones better overall so if the Treo 600 was an option for me I would just get the Windows equivalant.
    But I need a closeable phone with a touch screen so I am getting an i500.

I was close to getting a treo 300 because it closely matched my minimum requirements but the i500 is a better form factor.

My present Tosh2032 is a good pda but I don't like holding the screen to my face and it doesn't fit well in my pocket.
    Donald