+ Reply to Thread

SMS on the I500, TextMsg and I500SMS

As far as I can tell, TextMsg doesn't work now, at least not for other carriers. I'm not sure if it will be fixed. Also it was always a bit problematic that you needed to know which carrier the recipient was on. At least in my hands, it hasn't been a solid SMS solution.

The I550 seems dead in the water now and so I personally am looking forward to trying to make the most of my I500, with which I am still generally quite pleased. But getting a more robust SMS solution, or at least one that can be lived with seems worthwhile.

At the moment that means, to me, living with I500SMS, which at least has been fairly reliable in my hands. Also Sprint is well aware of I500SMS and has been willing to pay for it for I500 users who complain about the missing SMS features of the I500. I realize that this doesn't fix the missing reply number problem, which is HUGE, but at least it provide one half of the solution.

However, I am not entirely happy with I500SMS and think that with minor effort, PDAAPPS could greatly improve its viability. There are a number of missing features, such as an interface into the address book to find recipient numbers, saving common messages or the last recipient, etc. There are also several "operational" flaws which I think PDAAPPS could easily fix.

I wrote PDAAPPS support an email which describes these flaws. Their response thus far has been lukewarm, presumably because not as many folks have purchased the app as could have. I would like to suggest that us I500 users push PDAAPPS into improving I500SMS as the best option for I500 SMS'ing. Email them to tell them that you would buy it if it were better. On the flip side, call Sprint and get them to buy you I500SMS (I did) as the only half-way acceptable fix to them screwing us I500 customers out of SMS.

Sorry to be so long, here is my email to PDAAPPS:

---
    I am a current I500SMS user and customer and have been for almost a year.
    I wrote about these issues several months ago but have not heard a real
    response.

Basically, I am requesting that a change be made in the I500SMS app so
    that its screen/windows doesn't disappear after a message has been sent.
    The reasons for this are at least threefold:

1) Whenever there is an error in transmitting the message, except for a
    brief error message which flashes and then is gone and is quite easy to
    miss, there is now no remaining indication left which tells the user whether
    a message was sent successfully or not. The error message should stay
    until it is explicitedly dismissed by the user instead of just a brief flash-by.

2) Whenever there is an error in transmitting the message, after the brief
    error message, the I500SMS app vanishes, taking with it the entire
    message screen (phone number, text message, etc). This is very annoying
    since if one wants to try to resend the message, one has to start all over
    from scratch. The user to be allowed to try again, or copy the text of the
    message to the clipboard (perhaps to save it or try an email instead, etc).
    There is no good reason to just fold up the entire app and destroy the
    entire state of the message sending session.

3) It is not uncommon to want to send the same message to more than one
    recipient although this may occur as an afterthought. Therefore, similar to
    2), it is very annoying to send off a message and then realize that one wants
    to either send the same message to someone else, or to send another message
    to the same person. and find that the whole I500SMS screen has vanished and
    one has to start over from scratch. The I500SMS should stay put until explicited
    dismissed with a DONE. That way the user can try to resend a message, or send
    the same message to another person by merely changing the recipient number/address,
    or send another message to the same person by keep the number and changing the
    text.

Please try to fix these issue as more than ever, I500 users need a decent SMS
    solution. Thank you.

Administrator
    i use scotts message program on my i5 and it works... what am i missing?

Well, the last time I tried to use it (yesterday), it didn't work (SMS to Verizon). It hasn't worked for me for about 3 weeks. Reading other messages on this forum, it sounds like it isn't working for several other people as well and that this is a recent problem.

The fact that it requires you to know ahead of time what the appropriate carrier is, is another problem. And finally, you can read in detail in another thread about the problems I've had with it sending to Verizon locally.

I, by no means, wish to diss Scott's program and his efforts. I very much appreciate all that he has done for us I500 users.

The main point here is that there IS another SMS app for the I500, I500SMS. In my hands it has been much more reliable and doesn't suffer from the must-know-carrier problem. And although it costs a few bucks, Sprint has been willing to buy it for I500 users. And because I500SMS *is* a commercial product with a company behind it (at least sorta), it is something that Sprint can more reasonably become connected with. So what I am encouraging here is for Sprint to finally do SOMETHING about the I500 SMS issue, and work with PDAAPPS to provide I500 users with a half-way decent SMS alternative.

There is no way that Sprint/Samsung will give us real MO-SMS via a firmware upgrade -- ain't going to happen. And the I550 being dead, we can't compel Sprint to upgrade us to it. I think improving I500SMS a tiny bit and continue getting Sprint to buy it for I500 users is well within the range of what is possible and what Sprint might actually be willing to do.

Administrator
    yeah im sure the i500 is discontinued to sprint and i dont expect any more support fort this device.. outside of cases, etc...

i see your point with verizon. i had a text message sent from the i5 to a verizon phone and they never got it. i only use scotts program on sprint and it works as it should. i missed your point.

well as you said, the program is free so you cant complain much.

With Palm Web Pro, I can now log into www.sprintpcs.com and check my used minutes and send SMS messages to any carrier without knowing the provider. Not very efficient, but it works for cheap bastards like myself.

wow 4yrs already huh?
    my i500 has been gettin on my nerves as well. my friend had another sprint ppc phone and he got a t600 and sends me messages all the time and it comes up with his sender info on it. and to make matters worse when i went into the sprint store all the people at sprint were able to send me messages but non of my friends were aboe to. then i ask them if they had upgraded their phones and they said that their phones were older then mine. so they swore that its just my phone and that they would order me a new i500 and that would solve my problem. i think im going to have them give me a t600 so i can finally be able to send out messages and recive them properly.

Originally posted by SkinnyDude
    With Palm Web Pro, I can now log into www.sprintpcs.com and check my used minutes and send SMS messages to any carrier without knowing the provider. Not very efficient, but it works for cheap bastards like myself.
    Yes, I suppose that is doable, although: 1) WebPro is not officially available anywhere for the I500, 2) It leaves little turds around which chew up the I500's tiny 16Mb memory (just use a File Manager PalmApp and see all those Novarra files), 3) as you note, the process just to send an SMS that way is pretty clumsy. Because of at least 1&2, Sprint could never proclaim that that is their official solution for SMS for the I500.

On the other hand, my point is the I500SMS app WOULD BE FREE to you. You just have to call Sprint, complain about SMS on the I500 and ask them to buy it for you. I did it, no problem. I didn't even have to scream or get mad . I understand a number of other I500 owners have done the same.

So for even for "cheap bastards" like you, I500SMS would be the better, cost-free solution.

jlv
    Originally posted by monkeyboy
    It leaves little turds around which chew up the I500's tiny 16Mb memory (just use a File Manager PalmApp and see all those Novarra files)
    That's just the browser cache. WebPro will clean them up if you clear the cache, and the maximum size is set in its prefs. Blazer has its cache database in just one file. Both approaches have pros and cons.