+ Reply to Thread

Is data service always "on" ?

I recently configured a friends new Blackberry with his email accounts etc and when ever you send him an email he recieves is literally "real -time".

I use Snappermail and and do a typical "send and recieve" then have it disconnect after.

Long question short...If i dont have it disconnect and have Snapper automatically check every 15 minutes will I be billed for the minutes it is connected? OR like T-mobile is the data network on all the time?

Sorry for the wordy question..

Re: Is data service always "on" ?

Originally posted by Propeller Head
    Long question short...If i dont have it disconnect and have Snapper automatically check every 15 minutes will I be billed for the minutes it is connected? OR like T-mobile is the data network on all the time?
    With Vision (currently) you are not billed for minutes at all (see another thread about how I wish this were an option...).
    Instead you are either billed for bandwidth (kbytes transferred), or, if you have an "unlimited" Vision plan, which is what most Vision users have, you're just billed a flat rate (free or $10 or $15/month).

So, for most users, you can poll constantly, as you suggest, and it will not increase your bill. There is no need to explicited disconnect if you don't want to. However that is not the same as being "always on". Generally, if the Vision connection is idle for a certain amount of time, it times-out and the connection is dropped and you must re-connect.

battery

if you set up snappermail to check mail often, does anyone have experience regarding if this kills your battery life too quickly to make it worthwhile?

Administrator
    obviously, if you have a set time to check email it will drain the battery faster.

battery life

as mac said, if you have a set time to check your mail, your phone will remain in passive data mode and the battery will drain rapidly and eventually shut off the phone..
    The solution is to either diable the automatic mail checking feature, and/or manually disconnect the data service from your network prefs after the mail app checks your messeges.

Vision is always available, but you must dial in with your phone in order to get connected, and when you are finished with your mail, you may want to severe the connection to save your power.

I have yahoo send me an alert when I get a new email (actually set up filters to be alerted only when certain key words appear in the from field). That way I know what is happening but do not drain the battery. Would that work for you?

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Re: battery life

Originally posted by thend9
    as mac said, if you have a set time to check your mail, your phone will remain in passive data mode and the battery will drain rapidly and eventually shut off the phone..
    The solution is to either diable the automatic mail checking feature, and/or manually disconnect the data service from your network prefs after the mail app checks your messeges.

Vision is always available, but you must dial in with your phone in order to get connected, and when you are finished with your mail, you may want to severe the connection to save your power.
    Snappermail can automatically check you mail, then disconnect Vision after checking each time. This way, there is no need to manually disconnect each time, and you still get your periodic automatic mail checking at your pre-determined interval.
    Nationwide Free and Clear Plan, w/ 2 lines, unlimited LD, Unlimited PCS to PCS, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited Vision, Equipment replacement on both lines, roadside assistance, and 2000 anytime minutes. About $98/month after discounts and taxes are included.

Re: battery life

Originally posted by thend9
    CDMA 1xRTT (Vision) is not like an analog modem that constantly transmits and receives a carrier that chews up a lot of power. If there is no Vision activity, then very little power is used. Yes a Vision connection does use up some power, but it is not as bad as you make it sound. What drains the battery is constantly checking for email, not that Vision might be connected for longer than necessary.

So yes, "push" notifications where you only get something when there actually is an email for you, would be much kinder on battery life than constant polling, whether or not you break off the Vision connection immediately after checking. So you can simply setup an automatic forwarding of a copy of each email to your Sprint email address (1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com) and you will get a notification with each incoming email and not have to bother with polling. Hopefully you have grandfathered or otherwise unlimited messaging

Re: Re: battery life

Originally posted by monkeyboy
    CDMA 1xRTT (Vision) is not like an analog modem that constantly transmits and receives a carrier that chews up a lot of power. If there is no Vision activity, then very little power is used. Yes a Vision connection does use up some power, but it is not as bad as you make it sound. What drains the battery is constantly checking for email, not that Vision might be connected for longer than necessary.

So yes, "push" notifications where you only get something when there actually is an email for you, would be much kinder on battery life than constant polling, whether or not you break off the Vision connection immediately after checking. So you can simply setup an automatic forwarding of a copy of each email to your Sprint email address (1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com) and you will get a notification with each incoming email and not have to bother with polling. Hopefully you have grandfathered or otherwise unlimited messaging
    monkeyboy - with this method, have you experienced ?mynumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com kicking the forwarded email back to the sender as an undeliverable, expecially if there are attachments?

That has been my experience and what a mess it created