+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Sync with Outlook...

BTW, I did read the FAQ and downloaded Palm Desktop v4.1.4.

How do you sync Outlook with Palm Desktop? Outlook has a
    Pocketmirror folder, but I thought the whole point of 4.1.4 was to not need it. How do you sync directly with Outlook, and can you do contacts OR e-mail, or must you do them both? I can't find anything in the pulldown menus.

Also, when I HotSync (just with Palm Desktop) it hangs up at the "Cleaning Up" stage and never finishes. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Yea... I'd like information on this one too... I also thought the whole point of 4.1.4 was not to need pocketmirror.

If you look at the "Version Information" from the About Palm help menu... you'll see some outlook dlls under the Other tab.

Bump for ya mate.
    Last edited by Rescue9; 03-17-2005 at 09:54 PM.

I would realy not like to see this thread go into oblivion, I also need to know how to get the information from Palm desktop into Outlook so I can start using that program.
    I know there is some one out there that uses Outlook.
    Please help.
    Thanks
    Terry

try using the install cd that came with your i500 - everything you need is there.
    I gave up on the free ipod. And where'd my smilies go?

th3_plague

So then is it the Pocket Mirror program that I need to transfer from Palm desk top to Out look?
    I thought this was to get Outlook into the hand held.
    Thanks
    Terry

Thanks, I installed pocket mirror, and synced it with the hand held, it worked just like I would think it should.
    Thanks again
    Terry

Is anyone having trouble with Outlook 2003 syncing with Palm Desktop 4.1.4?

I'm getting errors where there are more records found in Outlook than in the handheld.

Any thoughts?

lopeman

Oh that might make me glad I stuck with Outlook 2000
    Never had any problem syncing with it...so far, only did it once.
    Terry

I guess this brings up another question tho. if lets say, I have to hard reset my i500 then use the computer that has outlook on it to sync will it completely reinstall every thing like my web short cuts and all, or will I have to do that through palm desktop?
    Thanks
    Terry

Originally posted by Tmair
    Thanks, I installed pocket mirror, and synced it with the hand held, it worked just like I would think it should.
    Thanks again
    Terry
    Yes, that's true. I wasn't aware of anybody synching to outlook and palm desktop on the same computer. As far as I understand it, it's one or the other.

I sync with lotus notes at work, and the palm desktop at home. But they are separate machines.

I do not believe you can synch to both on one machine.

Josh
    I gave up on the free ipod. And where'd my smilies go?

th3_plague

after all that work I found that Outlook was not what I wanted, it would not do the things I had hoped it would do, so now I have it syncing to Lotis.
    I dont have both syncing on the same comp. they are on different comps.
    Thanks again

Re: Sync with Outlook...

Originally posted by john01
    How do you sync Outlook with Palm Desktop? Outlook has a
    Pocketmirror folder, but I thought the whole point of 4.1.4 was to not need it. How do you sync directly with Outlook, and can you do contacts OR e-mail, or must you do them both? I can't find anything in the pulldown menus.
    Same Question
    I hear voices in my head... and they don't like you either.

I still think you need pocketmirror, I downloaded the 4.1.4 update to Palm, but I think that is all it is, an update to Palm I dont think it has anything to do with Outlook, once I installed pocketmirror from the CD which came with the phone it just synced with Outlook.
    When I uninstalled pocketmirror it gave me specif instructions on how to make it sync with Palm again.
    Also I just wanted to mention this, Outlook and Outlook express are two different programs, I only mention this because I found, in trying to get Palm to sync with outlook that there where some people who did not know this and I was sure they would have.
    Terry

jlv
    Originally posted by Tmair
    I still think you need pocketmirror, I downloaded the 4.1.4 update to Palm, but I think that is all it is, an update to Palm I dont think it has anything to do with Outlook
    Sorry, this is incorrect. Please read the FAQ.

Palm Desktop 4.1.4 (it's not just an update, but a full distributuion) includes Palm's conduits for Outlook, for both the "old PIM apps" (like on the i500) and the "new PIM apps" (like on os5 devices). You do not need PocketMirror for Outlook sync. I've been using this for Outlook 2003 for over 6 months.

jlv

Update for FAQ:

One more thing. After installing Palm Desktop 4.1.4, you should also install the Outlook Conduits 1.02 Update:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...daterv102.html
    (this just installs new copies of ocpNotesOL.dll, ocpCalendarOL.dll, ocpContactsOL.dll, and ocpTasksOL.dll)

And this knowledge base article will help with the confusing array of similar conduit names:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...l2001,Case=obj(25802)

For the SPH-i500 (and any other OS4 device), the correct set to use is set 2:

Date Book (Outlook)
    Address Book (Outlook)
    To Do List (Outlook)
    Memo Pad (Outlook)

Palm Outlook Conduits: These conduits synchronize information between Microsoft Outlook on your desktop computer and the classic PIM applications (Date Book, Address Book, To Do List, and Memo Pad) on older palmOne handhelds.

Or you could just install pocketmirror from the cd you got with the phone.
    Could you please explain to me what the difference is to installing Pocketmirror, and installing the extra conduits you mention above?
    Thanks
    Terry

jlv
    One less piece of software to install? Something simplier than the confusing way that PocketMirror Standard interacts with Hotsync and Outlook?

If you use Outlook 2003, you need a PocketMirror update anyway or else it won't work at all. So, when I went to install on a new computer at work with OL2003, I had to update something.

what model?

I have looked thru this whole thing! When I went to the web site to down load 4.1.4 it asks for "which model do you use?" The I500 in not on that list nor is any samsung smartphone. can some body tell me which one to say I am using to get the down load??
    thanks!!!

jlv
    Follow the link to the download in the FAQ. It skips over all that nonsense and avoids the need for you to register with Palm.

Hey guys, I just got a new computer for work. My old one had Outlook XP on it, which I used with Pocket Mirror with no problem at all. When I saw that my new laptop had Outlook 2003, I was worried about the sync issue I've seen here. But, I just installed everything off the i500 install CD and it syncs just fine with Outlook 2003. So, it does work occasionally, I guess.