+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    I don't think this has anything to do with the merger or Sprint at all. It was Palm that licensed Blazer and who is providing the new browser. I just downloaded it and haven't tried it out yet, but on the surface it looks simlar to WebPro (hopefully with a lot of bugs fixed.) The About dialog says nweb 2.02 copyright 2002. Gah, three years old, but then most recent Palm OS browser development has focused on OS5, so what can you expect.

You want fries with that?
    Does anybody know if I500SMS is going to work with NWEB? I sent a note to pdaaps. No response yet...

Cheers!

FiBi

so there's no way we can delete the blz icon after we install the new browser?

I get strangely inconsistent results with the new browser. Sometimes it connects just fine; but more often it gives me an error: DNS error. Please check coverage. check that the host address in Preferences is correct, and try again. [4626]"
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Just loaded the new browser. I don't like the look but it's basically Web Pro V - except that it returns to the last page you were on (like Blazer) instead of always starting at the homepage (like Web Pro).

jlv

Re: New browser and Java YES

Originally posted by GoBears
    O Happy Day! I just downloaded the new browser as instructed, and answered my own question. YES the new browser supports Java.
    No, the new browser does NOT support Java. It does support JavaScript.

The browser announces itself as Novarra Browser nweb 2.02, and is a 'newer' version of Palm Web Pro (WebProV) 1.01. A quick check through the binary shows that they share lots of common code, but they also have a number of difference bits of code that I've not yet tracked down.

nweb uses a default home page of pda.sprintpcs.com, the same useless page that Blazer has. WebPro uses http://mobile.palmone.com/. The helper proxy is named sprintpcs.proxy.novarra.com (vs. webpro.palm.com in WebPro).

One other difference is the code in nweb appears to let you select an email app, whereas WebPro would only use the default one.

oh, and 'ball' mentioned the best change of all: when you go back to it, it displays the web page you were last at, instead of the most annoying behavior of WebPro.

nweb is 60K smaller, and it immediately used the home page and bookmarks I had in WebPro. Looks like I'll be deleting WebPro...

So any idea about how to move bookmarks from Blazer to Nweb?

Thanks,

BB

Originally posted by fluffi_bunni
    Does anybody know if I500SMS is going to work with NWEB?
    There should be no reason why I500SMS should work any differently. AFAIK there is zero interaction between I500SMS and the browser, Blazer or otherwise. Furthermore, I500SMS no longer does "web scraping", so its function, now reduced by half as it doesn't have anything to do with incoming textmsgs any more, does not involve any websites or HTML at all. I500SMS simply sends info to the PDAApps server.

You sorta have to ignore half of what the I500SMS docs say, what little there is, about websites and incoming msgs. It just shows how neglected the I500SMS app is, after such a HUGE change as making half of I500SMS's function irrelevant, there has never been a new release, update or anything. Just the same 2year old piece of code.

New browser expires after 12/31/2006?

Does this browser use a proxy server? If so, it expires at the end of next year:

[from the EULA when you get your download link]:
    Proxy-Based. If you have obtained Product which functions via the use of a proxy server, Novarra is hereby notifying you that the proxy server shall be operated and supported through December 31, 2006. After the preceding date, Novarra shall discontinue operating and supporting the proxy server and the Product will cease to perform any or all functions after December 31, 2006.

Are there any better 'home' pages other then the default? The blazer one was horrible!
    Scott Doniger

Originally posted by jamsys
    Are there any better 'home' pages other then the default? The blazer one was horrible!
    Try http://mobile.palmone.com/ you might like it better; be sure to check out the "More"

Thanks to jlv's prior post on this.

xBB

I just downloaded the new browser and I like it so far.

Being the same brand as Web Pro (which I was using instead of the Blazer anyway) it automatically imported all my bookmarks (favorites) from Web Pro into the new browser, which is called NWeb.

It has an overall nicer feel and look the Web Pro does.

It remains to be seen how much better it works.

For those using Web Pro, you might want to look
    into upgrading to this browser, if you have extra room
    to spare for the app. The upgrade from Web Pro is painless.

That's too bad. I've never liked most handheld browsers and had gotten used to blazer. Have to try the new one to see what it does...
    Sprint Treo 700p (previously Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Inconsistently tethered to my 700p)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme

After a few minutes of setting up and sorting a couple of things out, I find that this browser works just fine. The mobile palm one is definitely preferable as my home page. Thanks for the info.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." HST

jlv

Re: New browser expires after 12/31/2006?

Originally posted by GeekGoddess
    Does this browser use a proxy server? If so, it expires at the end of next year:

[from the EULA when you get your download link]:
    Proxy-Based. If you have obtained Product which functions via the use of a proxy server, Novarra is hereby notifying you that the proxy server shall be operated and supported through December 31, 2006.
    As I said above ... The helper proxy is named sprintpcs.proxy.novarra.com (vs. webpro.palm.com in WebPro).

Dec 31, 2006 is sure better than Sep 22, 2005. And, IIRC, the protocol for the helper proxy used by WebPro (and thus, nweb) was documented, *and* you can set the address of that helper proxy in the preferences.

As I remember, there are only 2 proxyless browsers for PalmOS 4. One was interesting, but it was buggy and a new one hasn't been released in 3 years (IPanel). The other was the *new* version of Xiino (v3), which I've not tried. However, these will likely perform horribly, because of the stupid window-size restrictions in PalmOS 4 TCP that causes it's performance to be so pathetic.

(Hmmm, speaking of which, I ought to see where the proxy for nweb is located and what my RTT to it is)

I just installed this new browser on my phone. I'd used WebPro earlier, but didn't make it my main browser due to the lack of the remember last page viewed feature. Glad they've added a limited form of this to nweb (BTW, it's activated by turning off Clear Cache on Exit). I like the new browser, and appeciate the new features, but my wife and I have been getting random Fatal Errors. This is really unacceptable. Has anyone else been having this problem?

Although it seems to import the bookmarks fine, if you delete webpro, the bookmarks are gone.

Is there any way to migrate the bookmarks permanently to the new browser so I can delete Webpro?

Re: Re: New browser expires after 12/31/2006?

Originally posted by jlv Dec 31, 2006 is sure better than Sep 22, 2005. And, IIRC, the protocol for the helper proxy used by WebPro (and thus, nweb) was documented, *and* you can set the address of that helper proxy in the preferences.
    I'm not sure I like the notion of our i500 browsers having functional lifetimes measured in months. What do Treo and PPC phones use ? Why can't we just do what they do ?

Is there not an open source proxy that would be compatible with nweb/WebPro that we couldn't begin to implement now, instead of Nov 2006 ?

Originally posted by Ezzelin
    I like the new browser, and appeciate the new features, but my wife and I have been getting random Fatal Errors. This is really unacceptable. Has anyone else been having this problem?
    Yup, just got one just after installing it... NOT GOOD... on my most used website too... (www.imdb.com). I hope this is not a sign of things (resets) to come...

Well, its official... 2 Fatal Errors within 5 minutes of using NWEB, on my most favorite website. Nope, I cannot use this thing. I generally have a mean time between Fatal Errors/Resets on my i500 measured in MONTHS, so, nope. WebPro doesn't reset on this website, so I suppose if Blazer is really kaput after this week, I'll have to use WebPro (ugh)... (or look into Xino).