+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Not sure why this was moved either. Anyway I thought I'd chime in. I was using the new browser a bit yesterday looking at Yahoo News and my Yahoo email with no problems. I'll try browsing around a bit more to see if it crashes.

Let me try the question here: has anyone tried to log in to a Microsoft Exchange server with an https URL? I keep getting an error message and can't connect.

Another vote for moving this back. Really now, it belongs in the i500 forum.

I don't know about y'all but when I read this I was at first hopeful the sprint linky would have a new browser with a USB ROM update tool. Boy was I in for a shock. After running the new browser like another who posted here I experienced 3 fatal exceptions (they were doing it all on their own randomly over an hour or so) and my first ever FSOD. Soooo I'm ticked off and began my plight to let Sprint know how I feel. Yesterday I spoke with 11 people (9 reps and 2 managers) for a total of 3 hours and 19 minutes; all the while taking detailed notes. I was told I would be allowed to buy a new phone at a reduced or free cost as a result of Sprint crippling our phone. I didn't get anything resolved yesterday and I've collected 1 hour and 52 minutes so far today with 3 different people and right now they are trying hard to get me in a new phone for little to no cost. While I'm not nuts about getting rid of my beloved i500 I'm less than enthused that Sprint crippled it just because they didn't want to extend the licensing out a little further. By the sounds of it they got an extension on the June 21st blazer - date debacle Palm KB33574. Nearly three months to the day the problem came back but this time Sprint just chose not to address it this time other than offering a second rate alternative.

My biggest aggravations with this whole thing is this. First They were just selling this phone new up to two months ago or so and they HAD to know it was going to go away then. Why did they not alert new buyers of this? Second, yes some other browsers out there may work ok but what happens when you are out and about and say have a hard reset. Well no internet for you until you sync. Third, I paid for a phone with a BUILT IN web browser, not one which eats up another 900k to 2000k of my precious NON-EXPANDABLE ram. Fourth and finally this is just another kick in the groin to i500 users over the years as if sms, no upgrade path, poor releases of ROM updates and label of black sheep weren't enough.

While I suggest everyone with a 500 call the customer support centers and let them have it I'm not expecting many people out there to have the patience and determination to see it through with Sprint. Lets face it, sprints first line of defense against these types of user revolts are the ever so polite "tank yew fours callin da spreent pee cee sss cudsomer care linee" (you must roll all your R's BTW) and insert an echo of yourself talking. Half the time no matter what you tell them you won't get transferred to anyone who can do something. I explained my whole problem to a 'rep' named Angel (yeah right) and her solution was to add picture pack on my account (smacks head) I told her DO NOT DO THAT, she did. Sigh. I'll let y'all know how my fight goes.

Anyone know a good phone or email contact for someone in Sprint a little bit up the ladder or heck at the darn near top (I don't care, I'll call any of them). I'd like to get some attention to our problem and have it properly addressed not told about it in a freakin broken text message.

Working up to call Sprint again......
    TS

Hey blazor boy...looks like I'm not the only one with an attitude here...haha. I feel the way turbosteve does, and I've voiced my opinion on here and to sprint. I despise how i500 owners are treated like outcasts who won't conform to the Treo standard they are trying to set. Bottom line is it's bull**** they never supported the i500 the right way from the start. I don't really give a rat's ass about the treo 300 or the i3x0 series phones as they are outdated with replacement models. The i500 is still the latest and greatest for the phone that it is. There is no replacement for the i500 so it should be supported properly.

and wtf moderator. Move the stupid thread back to the i500 forum. It's the only phone in the bunch that is even current....geez.
    Save at least 15% on ProClip Products. PM me for info how to order. My website is down now that I dumped comcast for verizon.

Originally posted by crogs571

and wtf moderator. Move the stupid thread back to the i500 forum. It's the only phone in the bunch that is even current....geez.
    If SPCS treats us like...why should be expect better from the mod?

Let them have it old crogs!

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Yep, gotta agree with the latest sentiments. This new browser sucks, and Sprint just screwed us again. I've had more than 20 fatal resets since installing nweb. I think the 'n' stands for 'no'. To top it all off, I tried surfing today using Blazer, and got my first fatal reset ever using that browser. It appears nweb has screwed up all browsing. I'm guessing it's a memory problem, as nweb is a hog. Although, I've still got 937K free after filling my cache, so it's not full. This sucks. There is no suitable replacement for this phone. I really don't want to carry the brick, and would prefer to stay with palm, I've been a palm user a long time. I may just have to move to the dark side, MS.

And please moderator, move this back to the i500 forum, or at the least make it a sticky, I had to go looking in various forums to find this topic, as even though it gets new posts, it doesn't move up in the i500 forum.

The only hacks I have on this phone are from TakePhone.
    Last edited by rcozzo; 09-21-2005 at 08:11 AM.

FYI, the browser download registration form requires that your browser accepts cookies to work. If you block all cookies, it just bounces back to the form page. If you allow the cookies, you get a confirmation screen indicating that you'll be getting an email. They're just session cookies so s'alright. Lame coding, of course, but s'alright.

Yuck. I haven't installed any hacks, which I'm thinking could be the cause of a lot of fatal exceptions some of you may be experiencing. It browses fine for me, (well.. not any better or worse than blazer or web pro...) i just think the UI is atrocious. And... there's the wasted space that blazer now becomes.
    Hon hon~ J'utilise l'internet~

I have no hacks and have gotten multiple fatal exceptions and the FSOD. Additionally I now can no longer log in to my Exchange server. This bites. And things are irritating enough without the moderators refusing to comment on why they won't move this thread back where it belongs.
    Last edited by davidra; 09-21-2005 at 05:16 AM.

Hey BB, and I thought my short fuse was getting better, but apparently not...haha. And your name is fine since it's with an O and not an E.

1) I'm surprised people are getting so many resets. Maybe there's more to it than the old web browser pro. Maybe there's programs it doesn't like interacting with (or hacks for that matter). Outside of being a memory hog it's acting just like webpro for me.

2) This is just one more reason to bug Cingular to get the GSPDA M65:

specs:
    Palm OS Garnet V5.4
    US ver: Tri-band GSM850/1800/1900MHz, GPRS Class 10
    Picture Caller ID
    WAP Browser
    Send and receive SMS, MMS, E-mail
    1.3 mega pixels camera
    MP3, MPEG-1, MPEG-4, and 3GPP playback
    Video & Voice recording
    Digital voice recording
    SD/MMC Card expansion
    Support JAVA games
    Bluetooth, Infared and USB connectivity

3) LG makes some nice handsets. People that have had the basic Samsung flips and LG flips have said they liked the LG phones better. I'd buy a flip palm from LG any day. But I'd still rather bug Cingular for the one above.

4) It'd be interesting to see how many people are getting constant resets. Maybe we should start a poll. Will be intersting to see how many calls people log into Sprint, and if it gets to be so many, how will they react. Will they do something about it or just further alienate i500 owners. I think they're afraid to just discontinue the i500 as there is no direct replacement and they already dissed us with the i550 cancellation. OS aside, I mentioned in sprint users that I don't understand why nobody is making a pda phone with touch screen the size of the i600, mpx or 5600. Everything is the size of the Treo or bigger. If they did make a touchscreen pdaphone of that size they'd have a true winner regardless of OS. I've got an Axim x50v now, and I would learn to live with windows if the form factor and ease of use were what I wanted. But until then, I'll go down with the ship with my i500. F* sprint.
    Save at least 15% on ProClip Products. PM me for info how to order. My website is down now that I dumped comcast for verizon.

also amazing how the general pdaphone discussion is purely centered around the i500. isn't that amazing mr moderator?

Originally posted by crogs571
    also amazing how the general pdaphone discussion is purely centered around the i500. isn't that amazing mr moderator?
    Crogs (fellow traveler on the Titanic), are you sure the mod knows how to read? He (she) seems unable to write.

BB

Well my plight continues, I called Sprint twice more since my post yesterday and received one from them. The short and skinny of it is they are still 'working on it'. Near the end of the conversation I was told they'd like to wait until like next Monday to do anything to make sure it's not an internet hoax. I said WHAT? It's on **PALMS** site and the message came from Sprint; it's not like it's a rumor on some remote Norwegian death metal band's website... Grrr I said Monday is not good enough I don't want to wait till then since everyone will have forgotten and I'll have to start all over. They agreed and said they would push it sooner. Happier I was conceding to let them go for now when a little blurb was shot out, oh my manager will be out tomorrow so we can't get anything done then and I'll be out Thursday. Grumble. So now we are looking at Friday anyway before someone will look at this again. Looks like I'll have to start all over and try to get someone new. I'm going to definitely be writing a letter to someone a little further up the chain when this settles out.

TS

Originally posted by turbosteve
    . I'm going to definitely be writing a letter to someone a little further up the chain when this settles out.

TS
    Try:

Len J. Lauer
    President and Chief Operating Officer
    Sprint PCS
    6160 Sprint Parkway
    Overland Park, KS 66251
    (800) 829-0965
    (816) 501-6827

Utterly Converged
    I just installed the replacement browser. It's webpro alright & it doesn't display the New York Times properly. That was the big "feature" of Blazer for me, otherwise I use EudoraWeb which is faster & has a cleaner UI. My workaround: use AvantGo as a browser for the NYT, it's a bit pokey as it insists on caching all before displaying.

If I get one reset, I'll dump the new browser, thanks for all who wrote about their FSOD experiences as a heads up.

Originally posted by blazorboy
    Try:

Len J. Lauer
    President and Chief Operating Officer
    Sprint PCS
    6160 Sprint Parkway
    Overland Park, KS 66251
    (800) 829-0965
    (816) 501-6827
    I think that anyone who cares enough blantent lack of attention we've been getting during the last couple months should all send letters of disgust. I will be sending my letter as soon as I have some free time.

In regards to my comment about the funtionality of the browser, I've also endured my round of fatal resets, and none of my regular pages work anymore. (student billing information, blackboard... etc) I hadn't the time to post responses because I got to deal with another round of Taurus vs Customer. (i'm interested in knowing how ford advocates think these cars are great...)

I really hate getting the shaft. I urge everyone to write letters of disgust.

Big thanks to crogs571, Blazorboy & TurboSteve.
    While this whole event sucks right now that was some dam good reading.

I have about 20 i500s at my company & I'm really not looking forward to having them all update to this Novarra browser.
    I'll be contacting my Sprint rep for sure on this one. I was already in the process of looking at other phones because the i500 was discontinued but now maybe I'll just look at another Service Provider instead.
    Unfortunately we just signed another Service Contract with them for another 3 years! Of course that was just months before I found out the i500 was being discontinued and now this. I really like the i500 and there is NO COMPARABLE phone out there. Not with this form factor & Tri Mode functionality.
    All the new smart phones are bricks and Digital only. I have reps on Mtn Tops in TN. There's no stinking Sprint Digital Signal out there....

I've dealt with Hard & Soft resets before but what does FSOD stand for?
    Somthing tells me I'm really not going to like it.

I'm having Sprint ship me the following phones for testing -
    Blackberry 7250
    Samsung MM A800
    Samsung SP i600
    PPC 6700
    PPC 6601

If anyone has any experience, complaints, likes, etc about these phones please send me a PM.
    :cheers: <i>dlebreux</i>

FSOD, would be sprints idea of a Novarra Browser techno rave. It's flashing screen of death. No matter how many times you pull the battery or soft reset, you get nothing but a chaotic flashing of the screen and keypad, that will last continue until you hard reset.

Good luck.

Got a FSOD last night with the new browser and I am not happy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast