+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Blazer Will No Longer Work After 9/22/05

Anyone else get a strange text message saying Blazer will no longer work after 9/22 with a link to a palm page that says:
    "This courtesy notice is being provided to you in connection with the terms of your Blazer 2 browser end user license agreement. As of September 22, 2005, you will no longer be able to access Internet sites using the Blazer 2 browser. If you would like to download a web browser from Novarra, Inc., please complete the registration form below. You will be sent an email with information and a web link to download a new web browser."

Of course, being that it's on an I500 I have no idea who sent it.

???

sms from palm

I, also recived this message. I now have the new browser on floppy. I need to go home tonight and try it as hot/sync is not at work with me.

Which browser was it? Web Pro?

I don't know. I'll try to look at it with the dos text editor..It's a .prc file.

Very strange, I didn't get this. How can the discontinue the use of the browser? We alerady have the software on the phone, how can they stop it?
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/communi...x15/blue_1.gif
    Get FireFox!

phones: Sam 8500, Sam a460, Sam i500, Treo 650
    Plan: $39.99= 750AT/3000NW@8/UnlPcs2Pcs/FIMF + $10 Vision + $5 SMS

can you post the Link to get to the registration form?
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/communi...x15/blue_1.gif
    Get FireFox!

phones: Sam 8500, Sam a460, Sam i500, Treo 650
    Plan: $39.99= 750AT/3000NW@8/UnlPcs2Pcs/FIMF + $10 Vision + $5 SMS

http://web.palm.com/support/blazer/sprint.html

Seems to use some of the same code as webpro, but some differences.--Nweb.

I got that message and thought that was a scam but I guess not. New web browser is from Novarra. I have no idea how they stop letting the browser work though. I am more interested in getting rid of the program on the i500 as I think it is built into the flash-ROM. If I cannot use a program, I don't want it in the phone and more so, I don't want to see the icon on the screen. Can anyone pitch in?

I'm not sure how to remove it from the phone but if it's not going to work anymore I'd like to remove it too.

As far as it not working I think all the browser requests go through a specific gateway - maybe they can just "turn it off"? Anyone else know a bit more on this?

It seems to me, if you didn't want to see the Icon, make a new category as Old, Dead, or Unused and move it to that. It will still be in "All." But, I use "Main" for the stuff I use most.

Move the new Icon to the page you use most.

Blazer is in ROM so it's not useing your other memory.

Anyone figure out how to move over your bookmarks from Blazer to Novarra??

Thanks for the heads-up I had not got the e-mail.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Originally posted by JRoss
    Very strange, I didn't get this. How can the discontinue the use of the browser? We alerady have the software on the phone, how can they stop it?
    They just need to shutdown the proxy server...

It is strange indeed... I hope it is not true... I would not be happy with Webpro as a replacement for Blazer (and chewing up even more memory...)

Is it possible to point Blazer to a different proxy? Or none at all (Eudora doesn't use a proxy, right?)

Originally posted by monkeyboy
    They just need to shutdown the proxy server...

It is strange indeed... I hope it is not true... I would not be happy with Webpro as a replacement for Blazer (and chewing up even more memory...)

nweb, the new prog, eats 747K, Blazer shows as but 13K plus its 1K cache. ugggh

BB

jlv
    I don't know of a supported way to point Blazer at a helper proxy, which is different than a web proxy (which you can set from the prefs). For starters, Palm didn't document the protocol between Blazer and the proxy.

You could patch the blazer binary to use a different proxy, but then you'd have to keep blazer in RAM. It's not that good a browser to make it worth keeping in RAM. As for removing blazer from your phone; no it's not going to be easy at all. Best you can do is hide it.

BTW, I've not gotten this notice, either.

New browser and Java

Does anyone know if the new browser supports Java or Java Script? That was one of the biggest weaknesses with Blazer--you couldn't use all the features on Java-enabled web pages.

If the new browser does not support Java, does anyone know a browser (preferably free!) that does.

Maybe it will only stop working for those who get the notice; let's keep our heads down!

BB

Will I have to change my screen name??? BB

New browser and Java YES

Originally posted by GoBears
    Does anyone know if the new browser supports Java or Java Script? That was one of the biggest weaknesses with Blazer--you couldn't use all the features on Java-enabled web pages.
    O Happy Day! I just downloaded the new browser as instructed, and answered my own question. YES the new browser supports Java. What an improvement. I can't tell you how many times I visited web pages with Blazer, and was blown off because the web page needed Java. Now they work. Thanks. (I don't even know who to thank, because I don't know if it was Sprint, Palm, Samsung, Blazer, or Novarra who did this.)

NOW, if they would just give web clipping back to us. That was one of the best features of the i500, and I miss it.
    Last edited by GoBears; 09-16-2005 at 02:36 PM.

I use Avantgo for web clipping.

Corporate Cog
    Thanks GoBears. That's v.good to hear about Java. I just got my text message, 5 hours after ball received it. For those of you who haven't received it and are dying to read it:

Callback#: Unknown [As usual...arghh...]
    Date: 9/16/05 2:33pm
    Message Important notice
    from Sprint: Your Blazer
    browser will not work after
    9/22/05.Go to
    http://web.palm.com/suppor
    t/blazer/sprint.html to
    register for a new browser.

I imagine this has to do with the merger. I would find it very unfortunate if after the merger they found a way to allow text message sender information to be visible from the i500. Or the ability to send. Or the ability to upgrade ringers. (Although I imagine the last two might be related to hardware limitations.)

On the bright side, did I read correctly that LG bought the Palm code rights? I'm unsure about LG's hardware quality, but if a PalmOS clamshell came out for another provider, I think Sprint might be out some customers...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast