+ Reply to Thread
    Happily Converged

battery won't stay on

I removed the battery from my i500 and a small grey plastic thingy fell out just above the battery. I replaced the thingy, and it seems to fit perfectly, but now the battery will not stay in position.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help.
    Bob

Happily Converged
    Sorry, folks. I searched "battery" and discovered that I am now missing a tiny spring. I also learned that a tiny piece of rubber band works almost as well as the spring.

I have inserted the rubber band, added a small piece of "invisible" scotch tape, and I'm good to go.

The small gray plastic "thingy" that holds the battery in place has broken on my i500, twice. Once, I got a replacement phone on my equipment replacement policy, but they charge you $50 bucks every time you claim a new phone. THe second time, I took the phone into a Sprint store, and the tech. fixed the phone for me, on the spot, for free. Take your phone into Sprint. Maybe you'll get lucky, and they will fix it for you as well.

Happily Converged
    Thanks for the suggestion. They've never done anything for me before, but it's worth a shot. I'll try it.

They dont charge you under the Equipment replacement plan. Only if you go thru Lockline (TEP). If your phone is not under the TEP you can add ERP to your plan at anytime. TEP can only be added when the phone is new. They ordered a TREO650 for me last week that I can pick up after Fri and I was not asked to pay anything.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by kneadingu
    They dont charge you under the Equipment replacement plan. Only if you go thru Lockline (TEP). If your phone is not under the TEP you can add ERP to your plan at anytime. TEP can only be added when the phone is new. They ordered a TREO650 for me last week that I can pick up after Fri and I was not asked to pay anything.

Ok, I didn't follow this so you'll need to break it down more for me if I don't explain it correctly; If you have TEP you get charged $50. If you have ERP you don't. You can only get TEP when you first get your phone. But you can sign up for ERP at anytime. This is what they have on their page:

Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection
    Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection gives you complete protection for your Sprint PCS device in one convenient package. It includes both of these programs:

Sprint Equipment Service & Repair Program

* Applies to mechanical or electrical problems due to normal wear and tear, as well as defects.
    * If your Sprint phone or smart device needs service or repair, visit a Sprint Store and we'll repair the malfunctioning device - or replace it with the same or a comparable model.

Sprint PCS Equipment Replacement Program
    To file a replacement request for stolen, lost, or damaged devices:

* Call lock\line Customer Care at 1-800-584-3666.
    * File your request within 60 days of the loss.
    * If your device is lost or stolen, contact Sprint at 1-888-211-4727 to suspend service.
    * Pay a $50 nonrefundable deductible per approved replacement request.

All Replacements

* If your device has been damaged, it must be returned. We will mail you the necessary shipping materials to return the damaged device to Sprint.

* Once a replacement request is approved by lock\line, your device will be replaced quickly and easily. You will be shipped the same or comparable equipment of like kind and quality with similar features and functions to your original equipment as available from the authorized fulfillment center. Replacement devices may be refurbished.

Sprint PCS Equipment Replacement Program is insurance underwritten by Continental Casualty Company, a CNA Company, and administered by lock\line, LLC (in California lock\line Insurance Agency, LLC Lic. #OD63161).

© 2006 Sprint. All Sprint trademarks are property of Sprint Communications Company L.P.

Am I missing something??

Yes if you still have the phone and it is in need of repair take it to a Sprint store. They will repair or replace for you free of charge as long you have the ESP/ERP. Assuming they can duplicate/confirm the problem or defect. If the phone is lost, stolen and/or the store can not duplicate/confrim defect or problem call Lockline for replacement. Provided you have the TEP and pay the $50.00 deductible. The former is $3 or $4/month and can be added anytime. The later is $6.00/month and can only be added when the phone/replacement are new.

Happily Converged
    I brought my i500 into a Sprint store today, for the third time in 4 days (it turns out that techs only work M-F, and only from 9-6, and only in a few of the many Sprint stores in NYC.

I brought it in hoping to replace the little spring which holds the battery in place, or alternatively to trade for a refurbished i500. The tech tells me I will have to leave my phone for three hours so that they can check it out for water damage, etc. I explain that the phone works perfectly, and all I need is a new spring. The tech responds, with astonishing self-confidence (and probably no knowledge whatsoever) that under no circumstances will they be able to replace either the spring or the phone, and that if I leave it with them for three hours they may be able to upgrade my phone to a newer model (presumably a Treo, although I didn't ask), because the i500 is discontinued and there are no more i500's "anywhere in New York, refurbished or otherwise".

As I do not want to give up my phone, I left the store in disgust.

Bought damaged phone off of ebay

Hi,

I had the same problem with the plastic clip that holds the battery being broken. I ended up buying a non functioning phone off of e-bay for about 4
    $40 removing the clip and installing it on my phone. A very delicate operation that involves not losing the tiny screws or the spring that wants to fly out of the back.

I then resold the phone with clear notation that the clip was gone.

Mark
    Mark

Happily Converged
    I found that I had a three in one ballpoint pen (two ink colors and an automatic pencil). The spring from the pencil portion was very tiny in diameter, and when I used a wireclipper to cut off a small portion of the spring, it fit perfectly in the back of the i500.

The battery clip and phone are now fully functional.

OK, so I got lucky and found both the grey clip and the spring. However, when I reinsert them, it is quite loose and obviously likely to come out again. Also, doesn't really hold the battery as well as before. Is there a retaining clip or something else that is missing?

I've got some used phones - if somebody needs parts - I will probably part with one. send me a personal message
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright