+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
    I really miss many aspects of my i500, things that I don't really have now, mostly: 1) flip design, no worries about screen damage, etc, 2) real numeric dialpad, 3) solid, reliable, robust behavior -- no flakey-ness.

But 4 factors conspired to make me jump ship: 1) Sprint finally offered EVDO in my home locale, 2) the realization that I had better get SERO while it is still being offered, 3) finally a couple interesting new PDAphones (Touch and Centro), 4) finding that better Internet connectivity and websurfing was becoming important to me. But definitely not a complete win in moving away from the i500...

azs
    I'm still using my i500 and very happy with it. It still works great and the battery has held up very well.

My one gripe is the lack of SMS.

Anyone out there know if there is a software upgrade or add-on app that allows SMS text? (Preferrably without having to go into the web app to launch)

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks.

This is an age-old problem (SMS) with occasional workarounds that may work. My needs got a bit more complex and I found the reception & call quality of the Centro much better.

Quote Originally Posted by azs View Post
    Anyone out there know if there is a software upgrade or add-on app that allows SMS text? (Preferrably without having to go into the web app to launch)
    There are many threads about this issue on this forum (please look for them). The ultra short version is:

1) You will need to have Vision service on your i500 (Internet).
    2) You need to download a Palm app to send txtmsgs (outgoing SMS). It is a patched version called tm-imap.prc or tm-smtp.prc (link below).
    3) For incoming SMS, no app is need, the i500 should be doing it out of the box, but for non-Sprint respondents, you will not be able to see who sent the SMS.

Read this post (and others in that thread) to d/l the right app: SMS Text Messenger not working

I have moved to the TREO 755p on Sprint. It's a brick but I am able to easily text my teen daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by CFS1662 View Post
    I have moved to the TREO 755p on Sprint. It's a brick but I am able to easily text my teen daughter.

But does she text back?

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Does anyone have an opinion on the Blackberry Pearl 8220?

It is the first smartphone flip phone I've seen since my beloved I500. Only on Tmobile (for now?).
    Nicky

I find typing on a thumb board no problem on the 755p and the Blackberry 8320 (Curve). I would worry about typing on the Pearl with two letters per key, even if I were a dancing geeky chick. You should give it a good long test if possible.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Quote Originally Posted by nsanders View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Blackberry Pearl 8220?

It is the first smartphone flip phone I've seen since my beloved I500. Only on Tmobile (for now?).
    I wanted to jump on this after I saw it as well, but from using the original Pearl a few times before, I remembered it was absolute hell trying to get it to type properly. Sure Type isn't the worst thing on the planet, but when the keys are so close together it makes it difficult. also trying to spell out anything not listed in its dictionary is nearly impossible. Judging by the time I've used the candybar Pearl, it's a good phone, okay PDA (calendar is fine, contacts are good), email is terrific, but typing <I>sucks</I>. I have a friend who owns one and he frequently sends me erroneously spelled text messages.

Then again, if you're coming from an I500, you aren't used to a qwerty, so you may adapt to Sure Type faster. Also, if you don't respond often or compose lengthy emails from your device, this phone may work for you.

But does it blend?
    It's a pond. My god. It's JUST a pond!!!
    WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE??!??!!???
    -Thoreau, in a sudden moment of realization

After 5+ good years of i500 use I switched to Verizon and got a Blackberry Storm. I always thought Sprint would improve their coverage in some areas that were lacking, but they never did.

I've still not sent any text messages, but I like having email and a big screen for web browsing.

SureType works great for emails with dictionary words and the nice thing about the Storm is I just rotate it to landscape mode when SureType doesn't recognize words I'm typing.