+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I'll give up my i500 when they pry it from my...maybe not

Still here but less enthusiastic over time since we know it is going away. I have been trying to wean myself from being converged over time so I can upgrade phones eventually. I still don't understand why Palm is so married to the thumbboard and awful form factor for the Treo. It's like a PC manufacturer refusing to offer a mouse. At least a sliding screen would be better than what they currently offer.

A. Got my i500 a little over a year ago when I had to change cell numbers and service plans because of a move. I had a Kyocera 6035 smartphone at the time and decided to upgrade to the i500 because it was smaller and had a brighter, color screen that my aging eyes could better see.

Like many others have said here and elsewhere, I like the functionality features in the sturdy, well-built small form factor but do wish Samsung would have included a speakerphone to best use the phone and Palm features simultaneously, and an SD card slot would have been nice to provide a flexible and future upgradability path.

Like someone else also posted, I too recently was given a new free Treo 650 but have held off activating it and putting my i500 out to pasture because the i500 still does what I need and I prefer the smaller, sturdier clamshell package (I've dropped the i500 numerous times over this last year and it has never skipped a beat).

So, until a i550 clone appears in the U.S. sometime soon, I think I'll stay with my i500 and just let someone in the family upgrade to the Treo 650.

BTW, here's a pet peeve I don't think I've read elsewhere on some of the other threads: the first time I picked up and used my i550, I noticed how inconvenient and "awkward" it felt pulling the stylus from the left side of the phone. Since about 85% of the world's population is right-handed, it would have seemed a better and more natural design choice to have placed the stylus on the right and the phone's antenna on the left, but that's just me....

One last thing -- the reason I was on the forum today was to search for a source of advice and/or replacement parts to fix the Graffiti input portion of my i500. From Day 1, I have religiously protected the phone's display with a WriteRight screen protector. Now why I never thought to cut a piece to protect the Graffiti input area, I'll never know (well, maybe I do know -- probably laziness at the time...).

Anyway, like another poster also said, a couple of months ago one day I just suddenly noticed that there was what appeared to be a small central area on the input pad where it was all scratched up and which would consistently misread Graffiti input there. It became (and has continued to be) a major pain to continually retry inputting Graffiti there. I have always used the Samsung-suppled stylus on the input pad and have never used my fingernail, pen, pencil, or other sharp object on the pad so it has me quite baffled as to what damaged the input pad so "suddenly."

Anyway, anyone have any advice on how to repair or replace that part?

Thanks,
    Raketex

It may be hard to repair the screen. In the meantime, GA works quite well on the I500.

Hang in there!

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

For the i500's Graffiti area, I use what I've used since the Palm Pilot's first inception: 3M Scotch tape BLUE. Most graphic arts supply and good office supply stores have it. It is NOT the GREEN Magic Scotch tape but the similar looking BLUE. It differs from the green in that the adhesive is designed to be much less tacky so you can easy remove it when necessary. It provides a good writing surface for Graffiti input and might cover up the defects that have cropped up on your i500, particularly if its just a surface issue.

Thanks for the tip, monkeyboy! (I also saw where you posted that elsewhere in my searches.)

And blazorboy, in the words of the eminent Benjamin Franklin:
    “We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.”

(Hey, BTW, what is "GA"? Nothing comes to mind...)

Sorry, Grafitti Anywhere a free prog. that lets you use the top screen to write grafitti. It might sound strange, but it is GREAT. Many here use it.

Good luck, any friend of Ben's is a friend of mine.

BB

The wonderful world of wireless! naturalsister's Avatar
    Still here, and going no where. I just can't imagine that there isn't a TRUE i500 replacement coming soon. This really doesn't make any sense; the time it's taking to advance in this area in America.

With the success of the RZR (all about form factor) it seems that companies would be vying to capture the clambshell PDA market...

but nooooooooooo!!!!!!

Then what kills me - there is a plethora of bricks out there to choose from...

and from a dozen different manufacturers. Please tell me why this is so.

later - naturalsister
    Bye, bye Centro - Pre next!

I got my i500 about a month after it came out and it's still kicking. Everything is in working order except the stylus won't stay put by itself. Currently I'm using a piece of tape, but hopefully there's a better solution.

Cross sells a stylus replacement for any ball point pen that takes Cross refills (lots of the free ones you get at hotels etc. do). You may have to ask Staples to order them. Not quite a substitute for the one in the phone, but very easy to use and nokt much to carry in a shirt pocket.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by toddm
    Everything is in working order except the stylus won't stay put by itself. Currently I'm using a piece of tape, but hopefully there's a better solution.
    If you need a new stylus, plenty available on the
    Internet/ebay, or PM me as I have a few extras...

Actually, I never lost the stylus and still have the spare that came with the i500. It's the little clasp under the battery that broke. I suspect it happened when I dropped the phone as that makes the battery pop off.

Thanks for the offer and suggestion though.

The i500 form factor is so superior. I had a Treo before and as mentioned above, the voice quality was similar to 2 soda cans connecting a 50 meter waxed string. But, I'm getting poor reception in many areas of a large metro area (NYC) and wish I had better voice quality and signal strength. I never see 4 bars. I need the added data storage capability of a pda with a Palm format, but I am thinking about getting a better "phone".

Still here, too... but just about given up hope of ever finding anything new and interesting that doesn't need 5.4 or better to run, or a game that's playable on the i500 (thanks to its lack of joystick).

I have to admit that I've been simultaneously looking at the PPC6700 again (apparently, it's now possible to enhance it with third-party utilities to make the phone genuinely usable with a single hand) and some of the Sony-Ericsson GSM phones (particularly the 790a, 810i, and 710a). If the Qool QDA-700 had bluetooth, I'd probably buy one... but never one of the Treos.

I actually was given a Treo650 to play with at work for software development purposes about a month ago... and I dislike it even more now than I did a few months ago when my i500 broke and had to be replaced. It's slippery, the buttons are too small, the 5-way control is borderline useless as a gamepad, and it just feels bulky and awkward to hold. I'd STILL take an i500 over a Treo anyway.

Sigh. I wish I could pay $25 to rent a 6700 for a week, no strings attached, and REALLY find out whether or not I like it. Two years is a hell of a long time to be married to a phone you don't realize you hate until it's too late...

The wonderful world of wireless! naturalsister's Avatar
    I just synced my brand new i500, so I plan to hang out for another year or so until our dream phone arrives.

later - naturalsister
    Bye, bye Centro - Pre next!

jlv
    I was dreaming about our dream phone last night!

We Love the i500

My wife and I each have i500 phones and hope they last for ever. We have been Palm users for a long time and would first stay with a Palm phone if and when something better than the i500 is brought to market.

BTW, what ever happen to those guys that bought the Palm software?

Will they ever produce a phone?

We are Jot users and hope if necessary, that the Treo, which ever model our insurance provides if a breakdown, can be used for Jot.

I use the internet and would like something faster............but after the jump from the i300 to the i500...........is fine with me. At this stage of my life, I have much more time than money.

Hope the supply of i500's last for a long time.

LONG LIVE THE I500!!!!

I'm planning to write a letter to someone at ALP (formerly known as "Palmsource") as soon as I figure out who to send it to begging them to consider making the HTC Apache (a/k/a Sprint PPC-6700) one of ALP's official hardware platforms and releasing the ALP SDK with a utility to backup the flash and memory in the 6700 (so it can be later undone if desired) and reflash it to ALP.

If you think about it, the 6700 is a natural hardware platform for the first Access Linux Palm. Hardware-wise, it has everything we want in a Palm except a 320x480 screen (it's 240x320). I genuinely believe that in a parallel universe somewhere, the most popular forum at pdaphonehome.com is the Audiovox Cobalt 6.7 forum. Let's face it... hardware-wise, the 6700 is more "Palm" than anything Palm itself makes anymore. More importantly, the 6700 is reflashable by endusers (people have already gotten it to boot Linux, though without drivers it can't do much beyond boot the kernel). ALP, of course, being one of HTC's biggest potential customers, can likely get any info it needs from them.

Plus, releasing ALP1.0 for direct reflashing by end-users would instantly get them into Sprint/Verizon-land through the back door, without having to gamble on either company pulling a Samsung i550 on them, or insisting on 6 months of exclusivity (instantly cutting what small market would exist at that moment in half). They'd make no money from it, of course... but I think everyone will agree that for the 1.x version, money isn't even on the agenda, and ALP really needs to get ALP into as many enthusiasts' hands as possible, as quickly as possible, so that 18 months later, the Palm ecosystem will be alive again (instead of wheezing on life support), and less-tech-oriented "normal people" can start buying the 2.0 version.

Still using i500? - YES!!!!!

Original Question -
    I got the I500 soon after it was available. Still happy with it but would like to update when something better with a clamshell form factor becomes available. So I'm wondering how many I500 users are left that visit this forum?
    A. Still using I500
    B. Upgraded to a: (?)
    C. Never had one; just visiting
    Let's see a show of hands!
    -----------------------

Absolutely! Got it in 2/04, and still going (mostly) strong. It does have it's quirks, as any 1st generation product might have - close to weekly Fatal Errors, etc. But there's nothing else out there that I'd want! Treo is way too big/klunky. And as someone else commented, when I pull it of of my pocket or purse, people still stare at it in amazement!

I'm so frustrated that the 550 never saw the light of day...

Regards,
    Aletia

Quote Originally Posted by ahmorgan
    It does have it's quirks, as any 1st generation product might have - close to weekly Fatal Errors, etc.
    Wow... I'm surprised you'd put up with that, weekly resets. I only get a few a *year*. Why is your i500 so unstable ? some funky 3rd party apps ? The i500 has been the most stable phone I've had, and that includes a few "simple" non-PDA phones. Anyways, as I don't yet see/hear anything on the horizon that I'm interested in, I guess I plan to stick it out with the i500 as long as I can...

Thumbs up lost my I500

well I just lost my I500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well to be honest!!! I was at a hotel on a job assignment! I sat in the bar and had a few drinks and then decided that a little while in the hot tub would feel great! so I went to my room and changed and then went to the hot tub!! after about 10 minutes my I500 started to ring!! IN MY POCKETT!!!!!!!!!! well it dyed!!! so had to move to the PPC-6700! Got to say! its not as small as the I500 but has some real cool software!! The slingbox mobel makes almost anything ok with me!! Got a lot of left overs (cables, hands free car kit, batteries, ect) if anyone is interested! I figure that those that are left already have every thing they need! drop me a note if you need something! but the PPC-6700 I am liking!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast