+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Happily Converged
    Where in Mexico were you able to get CDMA service? I tried and failed in Cabo san Lucas last year.

My sister-in-law was able to get service a little over two years ago in Cancun with the i500.

I remember it well, because it was the first time I had seen one, and I was sold right away. You could say it had me at "hello."
    It's a pond. My god. It's JUST a pond!!!
    WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE??!??!!???
    -Thoreau, in a sudden moment of realization

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy
    He worked for Samsung and was moved off Palm OS products.

I770 (in specs) and Treo 700 wx are MS based, at least try to keep Palm by going to a Treo 700p or the soon to be released 670 (or is it 680?)?

BB
    Thanks, BB. If this thread isn't the place to do it, please direct me to where myself and other i500 hopefuls can make weekly checks and go trolling for the latest & greatest news on a possible new palm flip-phone.

booklaw - worked in Cabo San Lucas last week and Puerto Vallarta regularly - get voicemail notifications, etc - no data service and roaming charges apply - set up with Sprint before I went - but not sure it was necessary.
    Go to Puerto Vallarta almost monthly.
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Happily Converged
    Thanks. I am mystified as to why I was unable to receive any signal last November... I even researched service before I left, and Sprint told me they had no arrangements with any other carrier there at that time. Perhaps it is new?

Not that it matters... I have no plans to return any time soon. What brings you to Mexico so frequently (he asks, enviously...)?

I've been getting signals there for 2 years - anyway own a condo in Puerto Vallarta - if you care see
    http://www.vrbo.com/75668
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Come on down!

Quote Originally Posted by stevedrummer
    I've been getting signals there for 2 years - anyway own a condo in Puerto Vallarta - if you care see
    http://www.vrbo.com/75668

All that and Sprint service too! (Is there a roaming charge for calls?)

When are we all invited to the party?

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

International roaming $1 per minute - or sign on a plan for 60cents per minute.
    Party when the i550 (working in Mexico) comes out in the US.
    I see a few Mexico i500 working there.
    US is a third world country in some things - Mexicans don't like carrying bricks unless they are building something
    stevedrummer
    - Herm Albright

Cool if all we need is the I550 in the USA then the party will be Manana!

BB

My 2 year service contract has long since run out, the external case on my i500 looks like it got run over by an 18 wheeler, the battery pops out frequently when the phone is in my pocket because of the broken retention button, the messaging service has long ago been hopelessly and terminally crippled by (thanks a lot jerks!) Sprint, and yet...

I still use it. I have looked for a suitable replacement for almost a year now, and I'm disgusted at 1) the crap manufacturers try to pass of as a PDA phone, 2) the limited selection of plans now available by carriers, 3) the ridiculous surcharge carriers are now charging for web, email, and messaging access, and 4) the inexplicably retarded lack of advance in cell phone design, including size and functionality.

I removed my screen protector from the phone a few weeks ago and it brightened things up nicely, almost makes it feel newer... however I am getting concerned because I believe the hinge mechanism is beginning to fail. I have therefore looked seriously at the Blackberry Pearl because of it's small form factor, and the LG enV (VX9900) because it was promised to be smaller and thinner than it's predecessor (big disappointment), but both of these phones appear to be crippled pretty severely and require $$$ to run all of their features. So for the immediate future I'm sticking with the old i500.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile
    3) the ridiculous surcharge carriers are now charging for web, email, and messaging access, and 4) the inexplicably retarded lack of advance in cell phone design, including size and functionality.
    ...require $$$ to run all of their features. So for the immediate future I'm sticking with the old i500.
    me too, It would cost me at least $20/mo more to "upgrade" to another device just to get the same level of services (Internet, modem, SMS).

I'm predicting, given the dismal lack of suitable replacements on the horizon that the thing that will finally kick me off the i500 is not a better device, but that the web browsers on the i500 will finally die. Webpro, nweb and Xiino all depend upon proxy servers which could be yanked at any time. Indeed I'm nervous about nweb/Webpro as I recall seeing a notice about its proxy server being shutdown this month. I'm hoping that message wasn't real... EudoraWeb is not good enough for me. I don't know of any others worth using (suggestions?).

i500 are going for about $70 delivered on ebay now...

Dr. Smile: that is true dedication. I thought one might change phones w/o changing plans. Eg one can add a phone to an existing plan then phase out the original phone. At least I did that some time ago, but I know there are all new plans now making mine look like a rip off of Sprint (no tears here).

I too fear the death of the browsers; that would kill key elements of the I500 for me too.

BB

I'm predicting, given the dismal lack of suitable replacements on the horizon that the thing that will finally kick me off the i500 is not a better device, but that the web browsers on the i500 will finally die.
    You know, I've been sitting on a completely new i500 waiting for my current one to kick it. But I'm starting to wonder if I should put it into service.

For one thing, my texting seems to have stopped. I'm using Text Messenger and I APPEARS to be funcitioning correctly, and is activated, yadda, yadda, yadda...

I'd look into it, but I have grown so tired of fighting with the text messengering thing. I've come to accept it's just not going to work. And since I can't tell WHO the messages are from, they cause as much trouble as they solve. I don't want to text people and give them the impression I my phone is text-capable anyway. Better to just let people know they have to call or email me.

But anyway, that just got me thinking how much of the internet capability is tied to who much I love the phone. I'm coming to the conclusion that yes, like Blazer before it, Sprint may pull the plug on nWeb or find a way to make Avantgo, Vindigo, and Eudora unworkable which would then make my phone (mostly) just another phone.

Plus I'm wondering if at some point in the future Sprint might say, "We don't activate phones we discontinued 2 years ago..." And then I'll have a brand new phone/paper weight.

Maybe I should just pull this spanking new one out and enjoy it. The one I'm using now looks like it's been through a few tours in Iraq. People look at me sad.
    Last edited by Clarknt67; 12-02-2006 at 11:43 PM.

Did you have the new one upgraded to the latest firmware (XG23, I think)? If it was reconditioned post 2004 it should have it, but if really brand new, it well might not. I am not sure whether you can still get the upgrade from Sprint stores anymore. You might look at the first sticky thread here, for some seems to have been able to upgrade the f/w themselves.

BB

I guess you're suggesting the firmware may solve my texting problem? I guess, and no, I've not updated it.

But as I said, I think I'm done even trying to text. It never displays numbers so I'll get cryptic texts all the time that say, "Where are you?" and I have no way of knowing who to respond to. I've decided to train my social circle to not text me, since they refuse to be trained to sign their texts, as much as I've told them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarknt67
    I guess you're suggesting the firmware may solve my texting problem? I guess, and no, I've not updated it.
    Scott's TM2.1 as originally release will no longer work with Sprint targets (nor Tmobile targets) as of about a month ago. I don't think Scott has posted a fix. However the versions of TM2.1 that I've patched do work for Sprint and Tmobile. All of this is discussed in another thread...

SMS Text Messenger not working

I use i500SMS. Which isn't free but doesn't require knowing a person's carrier (I know none of my friends carriers).

http://www.pdaapps.com/

I sent myself a page and it went through and apparently works, but I've recieved some feedback lately that my texts aren't getting through. I really don't trust texting (I recently recieved a text from a friend 2 days late). Since he sent it to multiple friends, I know they also recieved it 2 days late, so the problem is apparently on his end, but whatever... Seems texting is not a safe form of communication.

You want fries with that?

Correction - Texting is reliable. Except Sprint.

Correction. Texting is a reliable form of communication. Our company uses it as our paging service for IT. As I have posted here more than once. Since I live in Kansas City - I know people who work on the Sprint campus.
    Text messaging is treated as an ANCILLARY service by Sprint. The company does have a single point of failure - no redundant systems, no failover. Sprint takes its messaging servers offline for maintenance with no notice and no backup servers are in place. My contacts indicate there are NO plans to change.

That said, the company I work for has investigated and found that Cingular does have redundant servers and coordinates their scheduled maintenance to eliminate interruption in service.
    As a result we have discontinued carrying pagers and use our Cingular phones as our paging devices.

Regards,

FB

Quote Originally Posted by fluffi_bunni
    Correction. Texting is a reliable form of communication.
    Correction. For you.

I use i500SMS. Which isn't free but doesn't require knowing a person's carrier (I know none of my friends carriers).
    Sorry I was confused, since you said:
    I'm using Text Messenger and I APPEARS to be funcitioning correctly...
    I thought you meant Scott's Text Messenger, not I500SMS. Anyways, to my knowledge, I500SMS ceased working for carrier targets other than Sprint since the beginning of August, when Sprint made major changes to their SMS website. Also, the pdaapps website implies that I500SMS will die completely in a month or so. I've stopped using I500SMS as a result.

As far as not using Scott's TM because you don't know the target carriers, in my patched versions, I implemented an Auto! function that uses the www.teleflip.com service, so, no, with the patched TM you can send messages to numbers without knowing the correct carrier. Again, all discussed in the other thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast