+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

I'm still using mine

I like the form factor. Nobody makes anything like it (yet/still), so I'm sticking with it for now. Aside from the crippled text messaging, it does everything I want it to.

I'm still a user and will be till another clamshell pda with grafiti comes down the pike

Yes, I like the graffiti style of input a lot. But, I'm afraid that Palm and graffiti in a clamshell phone is likely never to be seen again. It seems Windows Mobile can't be stopped. By the way, is there a way to convert all of our Palm formatted data into Win Mobile or other format? I'm trying to plan for what I believe is inevitable. By the way, Samsung has a new clamshell phone on Verizon that has a twist away qwerty keyboard. At least the phone is a clamshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Boblax
    By the way, is there a way to convert all of our Palm formatted data into Win Mobile or other format? I'm trying to plan for what I believe is inevitable.
    I believe there is a path through Outlook, though I've never tested it. Also I believe that IR beaming of info is compatible. And then there is always cut/paste via Palm Desktop, and export/import in CSV formats. So I'm not worried about it... hope its not inevitable, but you're probably right...

I can't think of a better phone - what else has this loyalty for over 3-4 years.
    Converting Palm stuff to Outlook is standard - know many people that have done it for windows mobile, IPAQ, etc. - but will wait till I have to before learning how.
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

It's Been Over A Year Since This Posted - Any Gnus?

So... What's the best replacement? Centro?

Nothing on the horizon for a clamshell Palm?

Anything good coming down the pike for Sprint in 08?

I stll use and am mostly happy with my I500!

Knock on wood - it doesn't crash or give me any problems. Plus it's a darn nice PHONE.

Probably gonna' try the new HTC Touch...hopefully next month.

You've got the Touch and Touch Dual. Palm is about a year away from their Linux phone. ALP might have takers to create a phone on their Linux platform (which looks pretty sweet) that has legacy support for Palm.

Anyone that still uses their i5 should really give the Centro a test drive for a few weeks. You'll surprise yourself how quickly you adapt to the keyboard and will eventually type faster than you write. The evdo is fast. The phone itself is fast. Overall volume over the i5 is not much bigger. Screen is a ton sharper. You have the expansion card and better software support with the Garnet OS. I probably sound like a broken record now, but I love my i5, still have it, but I wouldn't be held hostage by my love of the little flip and its limitations for what I needed. I even activated it for a week when my 700p went down for the umpteenth time. Made me realize I couldn't go back, sadly. And looking at the overall volume of the Centro compared to the i500, there is no reason why they couldn't easily make a flip. It would sell just because it'd be the only one of its kind.
    Save at least 15% on ProClip Products. PM me for info how to order. My website is down now that I dumped comcast for verizon.

A. Still using I500 - YES! On my 2nd I500. Waiting for next gen Palm clamshell with Stylus.

I recently added insurance because I want Sprint to replace it with Palm OS Treo when it finally goes. Does anyone know what the current replacement is for the I500 through Sprint currently? 11/22/07 Surely they don't have any I500s left. I don't want to fork over the dough for a new phone, especially since they canned the I550. I'm guessing the 700p but has anyone had equipment replacement for I500 recently?

I am naked without my I500.

Well I've officially pulled the plug on my i500 (moving *painfully* to the Touch). I'm going to try to keep my i500 alive on PagePlus (we'll see if I can)...

I'll be selling my brand new backup i500, if anyone is interested... (its got XG23 and has never been activated)...

I think I too will do the same; I have three used but perfect I500 and one brand new one with almost everything still sealed (but upgraded to XG23); have lots of batteries including SLIM ONES etc. etc.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Wow.

This era really must be coming to a close. Our two biggest stalwarts, and fonts of information are abandoning ship.

BB and Monkey, even though I jumped to Brickville (Treo 700p) some time ago, I'll take this opportunity to once again thank you for all the help and advice while I was using my beloved i500.

-Jeff
    It's a pond. My god. It's JUST a pond!!!
    WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE??!??!!???
    -Thoreau, in a sudden moment of realization

All good things must come to an end.
    This good thing just didn't have to come to this early of an end if it weren't for the incompetents at Palm, Samsung, and Sprint et al.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Thumbs up A. Still using I500

I've been using my i500 since Aug 2005 when Sprint stopped selling it.
    I enjoy the Palm functionality and loathe anything Windows.
    Unfortunately the text messaging on this puppy has never worked.

How do I know if my i500 is XG23?

I now need a Palm-phone with text capability so I can communicate with my teenager.
    Should I go Treo 755p? or Centro?

Thanks for all your i500 counsel over the years.

For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under Sprint.
    A time to pick up the I500, and a time to lay is down.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

I'm hoping Sprint's "Retention" Department will send me a Touch for $000. I tried it in a Sprint store a couple of weeks ago. Not bad, but I'm just SO used to my i500, clamshell, hard buttons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CFS1662 View Post
    Unfortunately the text messaging on this puppy has never worked.

How do I know if my i500 is XG23?

I now need a Palm-phone with text capability so I can communicate with my teenager.
    Should I go Treo 755p? or Centro?
    Hopefully you do know that you can get *some* measure of working textmsging with the tm-imap.prc or tm-smtp.prc programs on the i500. The main problem is that you can't see who sent a message to you if they're not on Sprint.

To see the revision of firmware on the i500, hit ##786 <OK> and view the entry under S/W Version, 2nd group of characters S:XG23 (can't remember the previous version, something like WK11).

I would strongly recommend the Centro, based on price and size. Only reason to get a 755p these days is if you actually like the bigger brickish size of the 755p, or you really want the larger screen or keyboard or longer battery life and are willing to pay the extra $150 for it.

Looks like Ill be bailing out of the i500 ship, and head over to Centro. Kinda hard, I admit. Been using I500 for a long time, and Im really am impressed with this samsung i500 phone. I use it often for phone calls, Causeurie (IM app), web browsing to check my email via yahoo hotmail gmail and facebook, and upIRC. but my most major concern is the text message capacity -- i use it often and its real damn frustrating to try to figure out -WHO- sent me the text msg.

Quote Originally Posted by xa0s View Post
    ...but my most major concern is the text message capacity -- i use it often and its real damn frustrating to try to figure out -WHO- sent me the text msg.
    I didn't affect me much, but I know its a pisser... particularly since it is not really a problem with the i500 at all but a bug/issue in Sprint's server software -- and worse -- that Sprint *knows* how to fix it and *did* fix it a few months ago -- but then broke it again (presumably the fix broke something else). One definitely has the feeling that if a bunch of i500 users talked to the right guy within Sprint, it would be fixed in one day... oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by JLondon View Post
    I'm hoping Sprint's "Retention" Department will send me a Touch for $000. I tried it in a Sprint store a couple of weeks ago. Not bad, but I'm just SO used to my i500, clamshell, hard buttons, etc.
    I spoke to retention department, I extended one line for 2 years and they'll be sending me a new HTC Touch for FREE. I was very nice on the phone and explained that I haven't upgraded for nearly 4 years...and never call customer support to complain

Activating the Touch on a different line until I get comfortable with it, then I'll have to say goodbye to my i500.