+ Reply to Thread

Angry i500 as a modem - HELP!

I've setup my i500 as a modem previosly and everything worked fine. Today I tried to use it but it didn't work. When I checked my modem list, the only one shown is the laptop's internal modem. So I tried to add back the Samsung modem following the Add new modem instructions step-by-step manually (it does not detect the i500 automatically) by re-installing the drivers, etc. Despite several attempts, the samsung modem never shows up in the modem list??

I must be missing some basic step?

I'm stuck.

any suggestions?

thanks.

Jack

I've been wrestling with this very problem for two years now, dating from the time I replaced my old Sony VAIO laptop with a new Dell Inspiron. Reinstalls and firmware/driver upgrades have had no effect, and the computer continues to 'forget' the i500 exists on a random basis. It's maddening, to be sure, but the fact that you have connected successfully at least means you haven't done anything wrong. So take some comfort in that, anyway!
    "More things I don't need with money I don't have!"

thanks - but I think my problem is getting the modem drivers loaded up so that my computer recognizes the Samsung Modem - what exatly are the proper steps to add a modem? I thought I followed the wizard but it does not auto-recocognize the phone, so I use the "have disk" option but it still doesn't seem to pick up the proper info from the driver files to even list it as a to be added modem during the set-up process.

Can someone walk me through how to Add a modem?

Thanks.

this is way above me - but I noticed when I checked system info/system drivers - the samsung drivers are sscdbus, sscdmdfl and sscdmdm. In the "started" column it says "no" and in the "start mode" column it says "Manual" and in the "State" column it says "Stopped" - next to each one of these drivers.

could this be a clue?

I'm afraid I don't know any other ways to add a modem except via the "Add modem" wizard, and that has never worked for me. I have spent a lot of time trying different drivers and locations via the 'update driver' procedure, but that has never worked either. The unfortunate reality seems to be that that this is just one of those computer 'things' to be lived with. I just wish there was a standard work-around to force the PC to recognize the Samsung every time, but if one exists, I haven't found it.
    "More things I don't need with money I don't have!"

This is a known issue with the i500.
    Try power cycling/soft resetting the phone to get the computer to recognize it.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

I've never had a problem installing the i500 as a modem on at least six different PCs and laptops. I just run the setup on the CD that came with the i500 and then afterwards plug the i500 in the machine via a suitable i500 USB cable. Works every time. I've also used the drivers d/l from Samsung, but using the original CD is easier. I presume you are using Windows 98se, 2000 or XP and the original i500 CD. If not, what are you using ?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    I've never had a problem installing the i500 as a modem on at least six different PCs and laptops. I just run the setup on the CD that came with the i500 and then afterwards plug the i500 in the machine via a suitable i500 USB cable. Works every time. I've also used the drivers d/l from Samsung, but using the original CD is easier. I presume you are using Windows 98se, 2000 or XP and the original i500 CD. If not, what are you using ?
    Same here. You might use Controll Panel to check on your modems.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!