+ Reply to Thread

Forced to Jump Ship - My Final Rant

Well boys, I've finally had it. Going 4 days without i500SMS text capability in this day of technology convergence is not acceptable. Actually, having to jump through the ridiculous hoops to even get that text capability is even more unacceptable. Anyway, I just got off the phone with Sprint, and I'm going over to the evil candy bar empire and having a 700p shipped out today.

Its not really PDAApps fault, but more like the proverbial straw. They do their best and at least offered a workaround for us. Its understandable that we aren't going to be tops on their support list as our numbers continue to dwindle.

Of course I'll keep my i500's on a personal line or two, but my main work phone is going to be the 700p. Now I'll be one of those guys listing to port because of the huge weight on his hip. I held out as long as I could, but its time.

I've got lots of work reasons for the 700p, namely real-time email from our Goodlink Server, but I was really hoping someone would eventually come up with a true successor to the i500. No one has even announced such a move, so I can only conclude it will not happen any time soon. I hope someone proves me wrong, but for now its on to the 700p forum.

One last time, cell phone manufacturers, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A$$ES AND BUILD SOMETHING THAT DIFFERENTIATES YOU FROM YOUR COMPETITION! I'm so sick of this incremental "me-tooism" going on that I could scream. Ok, I just did. Why can't they see that just continuing to pimp the same crap everyone else has is not the answer?

Of course, they even got me eventually, so maybe they're the really smart ones.

Best wishes to all of you. I'll be watching and waiting for a truly revolutionary product, but of course I won't be holding my breath!

Cheers,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by greg099
    One last time, cell phone manufacturers, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A$$ES AND BUILD SOMETHING THAT DIFFERENTIATES YOU FROM YOUR COMPETITION! I'm so sick of this incremental "me-tooism" going on that I could scream. Ok, I just did. Why can't they see that just continuing to pimp the same crap everyone else has is not the answer?
    While certainly a part of the blame should go to the cell phone manufacturers, at least 50% of the blame belong to the carriers. Just remember that Samsung DID built a successor to the i500, the i550. It was Sprint that killed it, not Samsung. Samsung also a successor to the WM brother of the i500 (the i600), the i645, but it was killed by Verizon. Both of these phones were clamshell/flip PDA/smartphones. So, if you were in charge of designing new PDAphones and you sunk years and millions$ into developing new flip PDAphones and then afterwards saw your huge investment being turned down by Verizon and Sprint, well, wouldn't you be a little reluctant to start up some new designs along those lines ? Particularly since the volume and big bucks is in phones like the A900, Razr, etc...

Just saying we need to be convincing Sprint AND Verizon (and Alltel, the only CDMA carriers in the US of any significance) that a new, flip/clam PDAphone would be a good money maker and a good seller... THEN cell phone manufacturers will build them...

Good point. Unfortunately, that means we're really screwed, because there is no way to convince a sprint or any other cell company of anything.

Makes me all the more convinced I made the right move to the 700p. This thing is a little bulky, but I was getting my work email realtime all day today, and surfing the web at blinding speeds and with better graphics. I still miss the form factor, but less so each day.

Cheers,

Greg