+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    Wow MB, you are amazing! It (spcs) works for me as far as message to Sprint customers go...thanks a million! You've given my i500 CPR and I appriciate it. T.

MB,

Will that work when Sprint shuts down its email service at the end of the year? I assume they would have no more need to keep SMTP servers at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    MB,

Will that work when Sprint shuts down its email service at the end of the year? I assume they would have no more need to keep SMTP servers at that point.
    1) yes it will work... it does not depending on Sprint's email servers at all. It DOES depend on Sprint maintaining its SMS/email gateway, the service that allows one to send a textmsg to a Sprint phone using the email address NUMBER@messaging.sprintpcs.com . I hope they don't disable that service -- I use it ALL the time. But many other services (e.g. Yahoo, Google) use it also, so breaking that will break MANY things).

2) it also doesn't depend on Sprint's SMTP servers (smtp.sprintpcs.com), but I hope they don't disable that either since MANY people will find they can't email from their phones if they disable that... (including most i500 users)...

To my knowledge, all that Sprint is shutting down is their CUSTOMER@sprintpcs.com email service -- which I never used anyways...

OK... a bit more hacking/patching and the original Sprint PCS website-based txtmsg sorta works again. It isn't perfect -- at the moment it isn't correctly confirming messages sent, but they *do* get sent...

I patched the tm-spcs.prc version (now 21m) with these fixes, so you can select either the "Sprint PCS" option (web-based) or SPCS! option (SMTP-based). I'm not sure which is better... let me know what you think... the SMTP submission is slightly slower (by a few seconds).

(new download, version 21m, same filename): tm-spcs.prc

===
    Update: surfing I found this article, which strongly suggests that teleflip.com is dead for the forseeable future. Which means unless someone can suggest an alternative carrier-independent SMS service, the Auto! options on the patched TM's will no longer function... boohoo...
    Teleflip Shuts Down Flipmail, Is Flipout Next? | mocoNews.net

===
    Update2: I fixed the confirmation error for the Sprint website submissions (I think). The new version is 21n and is the same filename and download. Again, this version is a patched tm-imap.prc (formerly version 21e) and includes the fixed Sprint web-based sending (Sprint PCS) *and* a new Sprint SMTP-based sending (SPCS!).

If there is a demand/interest in putting these fixes into any of the other versions of the TM program (tm-smtp.prc, tm-att.prc, etc), let me know. Most people won't know the differences, but they are explained in another thread (or above in this thread).
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 09-10-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I patched the tm-spcs.prc version (now 21m) with these fixes, so you can select either the "Sprint PCS" option (web-based) or SPCS! option (SMTP-based). I'm not sure which is better... let me know what you think... the SMTP submission is slightly slower (by a few seconds).
    OK, both work great and I see very little difference in speed. The Sprint PCS carrier selection formats better on the recieving end for me though. Callback # shows, Date and Message on separate lines...nice.

The SPCS carrier option puts the "phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com" at the begining of the message line, not as clean of a look. Also the callback # shows unknown.

I used your latest patched version 21n.

Again, thanks for your efforts. Hope they leave things alone from here out.

T.

MB
    Tried the latest version - won't go through to an ATT number that used to be Cingular - seems to go through to Sprint - even though I get message saying error - need to do more testing - will let you know
    Steve
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

If it is an AT&T number that used to be Cingular that used to be OLD AT&T (blue), then you need the tm-att.prc program for those numbers.

You can try the tm-att.prc program for just those numbers and if that solves your problem, I can patch that program to fix the recent Sprint PCS issues:
    tm-att.prc

Or you can simply send an email to NUMBER@mmode.com to see if that works (which is what tm-att.prc does).

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    If it is an AT&T number that used to be Cingular that used to be OLD AT&T (blue), then you need the tm-att.prc program for those numbers.
    Or you can simply send an email to NUMBER@mmode.com to see if that works (which is what tm-att.prc does).
    If you're not having luck with sending txt to old AT&T customers via tm-att.prc or the NUMBER@mmode.com address... well it looks like AT&T may have finally shutdown that gateway.

You can also try NUMBER@txt.att.net but I believe it ends up being the same as selecting the Cingular carrier in the TM program (which sends to NUMBER@cingularme.com, which is an alias of NUMBER@txt.att.net)...

Nothing in wireless stands still... I'm waiting for carriers to run out of IPv4 addresses... which will force either IPv6 on us, breaking every current phone, or cause carriers to use NAT, breaking some wireless apps...

Seems like some of you are still downloading these patched TM programs.... that's great EXCEPT that only the one called tm-spcs.com has the most recent patches in it. The older ones like tm-imap.prc and tm-smtp.prc are not going to work with Sprint any more (see posts above). I know its a big pain to read through all the threads to the bitter end to figure out the latest download. So anyways I have moved the old tm-imap.prc to tm-imap.0908 (in case anyone really still wants the old, broken tm-imap) and linked tm-spcs.prc to tm-imap.prc so that newcomers will get the latest patches.

We'll see how many more years before these programs are totally irrelevant... BTW I still use them sometimes even though I don't use my i500 anymore, because they also work fine on the PalmOS Desktop emulator and are a quick way of sending off an SMS from my PC...

Verizon shutting down port 25

I saw a news flash that Verizon was shutting down port 25 (SMTP) email submission. I don't know if that applies to VZW and NUMBER@vtext.com, but if so, it implies that the patched TM programs like tm-smtp.prc will no longer work for Verizon. I think tm-imap.prc and the latest tm-spcs.prc should still work, but please let me know...

The shutdown of port 25 is meant to stem the tide of spam where spambot zombies submit spam email via port 25, the standard un-authenticated email submission port (original SMTP).

xit
    MB-I'm trying to find some information on the now expired company of teleflip. You seem to have a very good grasp on this. U still around?