+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 191
  1. #61
    Registered User monkeyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,214
    I just checked the DNS servers that you posted and they still seem fine, so if you are having problems sending to Tmobile now, its unlikely that the DNS servers are the problem. Can you still send to Sprint ? How about Verizon or Cingular ?

    Did you give tm-imap.prc a good thorough try, because that would test the blocked port 25 hypothesis ?

  2. #62
    Registered User Leke's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-14-2006
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    I just checked the DNS servers that you posted and they still seem fine, so if you are having problems sending to Tmobile now, its unlikely that the DNS servers are the problem. Can you still send to Sprint ? How about Verizon or Cingular ?

    Did you give tm-imap.prc a good thorough try, because that would test the blocked port 25 hypothesis ?

    I will try that at home and yes still able to send to all but tmobile currently...
    Samsung A500<---Old faithful<--> to SPH-I500 but really want the Treo 700P and now I have IT!!

  3. #63
    Registered User Leke's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-14-2006
    Posts
    52
    Tried it still a no go
    Samsung A500<---Old faithful<--> to SPH-I500 but really want the Treo 700P and now I have IT!!

  4. #64
    Registered User monkeyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke
    Tried it still a no go
    A no go with all carriers (particularly Cingular and Verizon) and teleflip (Auto!) or just a no go with Tmobile ?

    If you wish, you can PM me the Tmobile number you've been trying and I'll try it from here...

  5. #65
    Registered User Leke's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-14-2006
    Posts
    52
    Everything works but tmobile
    Samsung A500<---Old faithful<--> to SPH-I500 but really want the Treo 700P and now I have IT!!

  6. #66
    Registered User monkeyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke
    Everything works but tmobile
    That's just so strange, because with tm-imap.prc, all textmsgs (except to Sprint) go through a central server, the same server that I and others use to text to Tmobile with success. So if you can use tm-imap.prc to text to Verizon or Cingular or via Teleflip, then there is no reason that Tmobile shouldn't work, unless the Tmobile SMTP server is rejecting that particular number as being invalid (but it's not, as I just checked).

    Are you *sure* you are using tm-imap.prc ? If you tap on the little (i) Info icon on the upper right corner, does it report Text Messenger v21c ?

    I just sent 5 different txtmsgs to the number you PM'd me, two via tm-imap.prc and three via tm-smtp.prc. Please let me know if they all worked.

  7. #67
    Registered User monkeyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,214
    BTW, to install any of these programs, like tm-imap.prc, you do not need to d/l it to a PC and use Palm Install. You can just use the i500 browser, like WebPro or nweb, go to the URL: http://dnn.tsolab.org/webpix, and click on the file you want (e.g. tm-imap.prc). It will be downloaded directly into your i500 in seconds.

  8. #68
    Registered User Leke's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-14-2006
    Posts
    52
    I tried both downloaded both using nweb and both gave me the same error.

    "Provider replied with an error" I even tried two different tmobile numbers
    Samsung A500<---Old faithful<--> to SPH-I500 but really want the Treo 700P and now I have IT!!

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-06-2006
    Posts
    3

    Summary?

    Can someone post a step by step summary of what needs to be done to replace poor old I500SMS (i.e. how does one disable it) with whatever now seems to be our best text messaging option? I don't want to screw up anything! Thanks!!

  10. #70
    Registered User monkeyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by bwsails
    Can someone post a step by step summary of what needs to be done to replace poor old I500SMS (i.e. how does one disable it) with whatever now seems to be our best text messaging option?
    I've already deleted my copy of I500SMS (boohoo...), but as I recall you...
    1) click on the Enable I500SMS icon in the Launcher
    2) it will say something like "I500SMS is already installed, would you like to go to the Messages app ?"
    3) say No, it then brings you to a page which has options to re-authenticate I500SMS and... to Uninstall I500SMS.
    4) Choose the Uninstall option. You may then need to soft reset PalmOS.

    However, you do not need to uninstall I500SMS to try or use Scott's TM program. They do not interact or interfere with each other. Scott's TM program is still available at i500.nopdesign.com, or you can try my patched versions of that program, of which there are two:

    1) tm-smtp.prc does direct SMTP submissions of textmsgs to Cingular, Verizon, Tmobile, and the original HTTP submission to Sprint. Also has the Auto! function to teleflip.com so you can textmsg to all carriers without knowing which carrier to use.

    2) tm-imap.prc submits SMTP indirectly through an intermediate server without using port 25 (since Sprint may be blocking port 25 in some parts of the US). Otherwise identical in function to tm-smtp.prc, but also implements 411/Info queries similar to SMS GOOGL (discussed in another thread).

    Only one of these three programs (the original TM, tm-smtp or tm-imap) can be installed on your i500 (or any Palm actually) as they are considered by PalmOS to be the same program. You do not need to uninstall a previous one to overwrite it with another one. Install involves simply fetching the PRC file (e.g. tm-imap.prc) and telling Palm Desktop Installer to install it, then Hotsync. Or even easier, just use an i500 browser like WebPro or nweb, and fetch the PRC file directly into your i500.

    More details of all these issues available in earlier threads. I currently use tm-imap.prc because of the 411/Info services. I love to be able to get current weather, 411 and I think the flight status features are neat, particularly when you travel.

  11. #71
    Registered User blazorboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-15-2004
    Location
    Cambridge MA
    Posts
    1,741
    MB,

    Can any of your version send a text to an e-mail address (e.g., SSS@yahoo.com)? That WAS a good feature of I500SMS.


    Many thanks (yet again).

    BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

  12. #72
    Registered User monkeyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy
    Can any of your version send a text to an e-mail address (e.g., SSS@yahoo.com)? That WAS a good feature of I500SMS.
    Not at the moment. I believe that it is probably possible to add, and certainly it should be easy for Scott to add. I must admit though that I don't quite see the point of it as zipping off a quick email via Eudora or Snappermail is also quite easy, and there are several other lightweight email clients available for PalmOS.

    So... help me understand why it would be a good feature to add... it would open up further some authentication issues and TM will never be a full blown email client, you wouldn't even be able to reply, look at other emails in your Inbox, etc. I just tried sending a quick email with Snappermail and I don't see it being any slower than TM... what am I missing ?

  13. #73
    Registered User blazorboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-15-2004
    Location
    Cambridge MA
    Posts
    1,741
    I found i500SMS the quickest way to select an e-mail address from my address book, have it entered into the To field and send off a quick e-mail. It did not require me to first log onto the web (say using yahoo via Nweb etc) and did use my Palm directory in a searchable way.

    Perhaps Snappermail will prove as easy. When I am responded to a TXT message it was very handy to be able to hit reply because I500SMS was integrated into the SMS system on the phone. I believe Scott is not. (I understand these are separate matters: email and reply although sometimes I wanted to send a reply to an e-mail address and I500 sure made that very easy.) One problem I face is having over 4K entries in my phone book so quick searching is a must.

    BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

  14. #74
    Registered User monkeyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy
    I found i500SMS the quickest way to select an e-mail address from my address book, have it entered into the To field and send off a quick e-mail. It did not require me to first log onto the web (say using yahoo via Nweb etc) and did use my Palm directory in a searchable way.
    I believe that everything you say above is *identical* if you use either Snappermail or Eudora to send an email, i.e. you start up the email client just as you would TM, you hit New (Eudora /N), you tap on the To field to start the lookup, you can enter the first couple of letters to quickly search through your contact list (TM can't do this now), choose the one you want, then fill in the body of the mail and hit Send. Pretty much the same as TM or I500SMS. You do not have to log on to Vision since both Eudora and Snappermail will do that for you if you aren't on already, again just like TM or I500SMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy
    Perhaps Snappermail will prove as easy. When I am responded to a TXT message it was very handy to be able to hit reply because I500SMS was integrated into the SMS system on the phone. I believe Scott is not. (I understand these are separate matters: email and reply although sometimes I wanted to send a reply to an e-mail address and I500 sure made that very easy.) One problem I face is having over 4K entries in my phone book so quick searching is a must.
    Snappermail and Eudora are about the same in this regard (Snappermail has other advantages, like less buggy, does web hotlinks, handles attachments, etc). Yes, I500SMS had the advantage of the Reply function, but only if you get back the sender's phone number (rare), which was only on *some* Sprint targets. TM doesn't have this so it is no better than the email clients in this regard. For your 4K contact DB, the email clients will be better than TM (I don't know why Scott chose not to use the native contact DB interface which has the Lookup (enter first few chars) feature). Anyways, it still seems to me that turning TM into an outgoing email client won't be a big win...

  15. #75
    Registered User blazorboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-15-2004
    Location
    Cambridge MA
    Posts
    1,741
    You are correct, MB. I have started to use snappermail and do like it I keep I500SMS for quickly sending txt to a few numbers I have locked in and can very quickly do a Reply. Might now get rid of Euroda.

    I find asking Snapper to pull e-mail once an hour does not eat the battery too badly.

    Thanks again for your continuing help.

    BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

  16. #76
    Registered User Leke's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-14-2006
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    Not at the moment. I believe that it is probably possible to add, and certainly it should be easy for Scott to add. I must admit though that I don't quite see the point of it as zipping off a quick email via Eudora or Snappermail is also quite easy, and there are several other lightweight email clients available for PalmOS.

    So... help me understand why it would be a good feature to add... it would open up further some authentication issues and TM will never be a full blown email client, you wouldn't even be able to reply, look at other emails in your Inbox, etc. I just tried sending a quick email with Snappermail and I don't see it being any slower than TM... what am I missing ?
    I'll get whitchu later on my TM issues, but quick question. Is there a way to get keyboard function on TM?
    Samsung A500<---Old faithful<--> to SPH-I500 but really want the Treo 700P and now I have IT!!

  17. #77
    Registered User monkeyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke
    Is there a way to get keyboard function on TM?
    Not sure what you mean... Graffiti keyboard ? external keyboard ? As a normal PalmOS app, TM should be able to benefit from any keyboard that works with PalmOS.

    If you mean the Graffiti keyboard, yes it works fine. While you're in TM, make sure the text cursor is where you want it to be (e.g. the msg body box), and just tap on the lower left hand corner of the Graffiti area (on the little 'a') and the Graffiti keyboard should pop up.

  18. #78
    Registered User Leke's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-14-2006
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    Not sure what you mean... Graffiti keyboard ? external keyboard ? As a normal PalmOS app, TM should be able to benefit from any keyboard that works with PalmOS.

    If you mean the Graffiti keyboard, yes it works fine. While you're in TM, make sure the text cursor is where you want it to be (e.g. the msg body box), and just tap on the lower left hand corner of the Graffiti area (on the little 'a') and the Graffiti keyboard should pop up.
    Oh my freakin goodness all this time and I didnt know, thanks alot dude!
    Samsung A500<---Old faithful<--> to SPH-I500 but really want the Treo 700P and now I have IT!!

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-24-2003
    Location
    Detroit, MI, USA
    Posts
    14

    $0.10 for incoming messages?

    Has anyone noticed that Sprint is now charging $0.10 per incoming message to the i500, the same phone that never had true SMS capability in the first place?

    Or am I the only one getting charged all of a sudden?

  20. #80
    Registered User Leke's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-14-2006
    Posts
    52
    Sprint always charges for incoming text, except for the, "Please call", unless you have a text plan
    Samsung A500<---Old faithful<--> to SPH-I500 but really want the Treo 700P and now I have IT!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts