+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Yes and no...I've had the phone for three years and never paid for any messages until I changed my plan three months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Leke
    Sprint always charges for incoming text, except for the, "Please call", unless you have a text plan
    Many of us "old time" i500 users have the so-called "grandfathered Vision Plan", generally for $10/mo, that includes unlimited Vision *and* unlimited text messaging. This was of course before Sprint realized that textmsging was/could be a cash cow. Keeping GF-Vision is as much a good reason as any for staying with the i500 instead of, say, "upgrading" to the Treo 700p as I'd end up paying maybe $20/mo *more* for data/textmsg services.

My very old plan included unlimited Vision and texting for free

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

so far so good it's off and on, must be Houston networks....
    I'm in Atlanta for the week and can report that tm-smtp and tm-imap both work fine. I note that the IP addresses in Atlanta are coming in the subdomain area3.spcsdns.net, which is the same as IP addresses in Upstate, NY, my home territory, whereas in Houston, you (Leke) are reporting IP addresses in the subdomain area5.spcsdns.net . Don't know if its significant although it seems likely that you're using different routers and DNS servers.

Beside Leke's problems in Houston, anyone else observing problems with these programs ?

My Email work to receive but I can't send.
    My messages are stuck in my out box.

What should be the outgoing settings for T-Mobile?

incoming: mail.optonline.net
    outgoing: ????

Quote Originally Posted by keith28
    My Email work to receive but I can't send.
    My messages are stuck in my out box.

What should be the outgoing settings for T-Mobile?

incoming: mail.optonline.net
    outgoing: ????
    Well, it seems you are asking about email, which is not the subject of this thread (this thread is about SMS text msging). Also you don't mention which email client you are using (the i500 doesn't have a native email client). Finally, you aren't clear about how Tmobile is related to all of this. So...

Which "outbox" are you refering to ? If you mean Eudora or something similar, then you probably want to use smtp.sprintpcs.com as your outgoing (SMTP) server. Note that you probably need to do "POP before SMTP" authentication (just initiate a POP email poll on pop.sprintpcs.com before sending on smtp.sprintpcs.com).

As far as sending *to* Tmobile, it is no different than sending to any other ISP/email address. Are you using email addresses like NAME@tmomail.net ? Unless... you mean using Tmobile as your SMTP server, in which case, I don't know if you can on an i500 on Sprint, but I doubt it.

But perhaps you are trying to use the old Mail app in PalmOS. In which case, don't. That thing is ancient and not a true email client, but a "conduit" to Palm Desktop, i.e. you must sync to Palm Desktop to send out emails written in the Mail app. It's not worth it, don't bother. Instead use, at minimum, Eudora, which is a free and fairly decent simple email client. Or any of a number of other PalmOS email clients available, for example, at www.palmgear.com. This advice, of course, pre-supposes that you have an i500 with Vision (Internet access). If you don't, well.... (I'll stop here... except to say, to learn more about email on the i500, please search and read any of a number of other threads about the subject. This thread is not about email...)

I'm sorry if I did not give out enogh detail and sorry this is the wrong thread.

I set up a pop email for my exisiting email with optonline.net
    my email account is keith28@optonline.net
    I can receive my emails but I can not send.
    So I'm guessing I have I have the wrong outgoing mail.
    I think I have to send thru t-mobile.

Do you know how to help me?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keith28
    I'm sorry if I did not give out enogh detail and sorry this is the wrong thread...
    I made a new thread for you... please continue this discussion here... My Email work to receive but I can't send...

Here's another little tip/theory as to why some people may be having trouble sending textmsgs via TM: You must set the Callback # field to your i500 phone number. Otherwise you will get back an error message when sending to Tmobile, teleflip, etc. (Leke: might this explain your Tmobile problem ?)

Yep that was the problem, thnx guys...
    Samsung A500<---Old faithful<--> to SPH-I500 but really want the Treo 700P and now I have IT!!

again

Having trouble sending to Sprint phones with TM this evening. Anyone else ? Sprint messing around with their website again ? I guess I have to look into it deeper...

another patch...

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    Having trouble sending to Sprint phones with TM this evening.
    Starting yesterday, I couldn't SMS to Sprint folks anymore using the TM apps (other carriers were fine). So it looks like Sprint changed their website again... its getting to be a bad habit (of theirs... none of the website changes in the past 6 months have been for the better as far as i500 users are concerned).

Anyways, so I was able to patch in a fix which looks like it solves the problem (at least for me so far, may have to move to all-SMTP someday to avoid this nonsense). I patched both tm-smtp.prc (now labeled v21d) and tm-imap.prc (now labeled v21e). So if you are having problems using these programs to SMS to Sprint phones, try these new versions (the old versions are still on the site, but moved to files with the *.0611 extension). To recap:

tm-smtp.prc - Patched version of Scott's TM 2.1 that sends directly to the target carrier's server (mostly SMTP), includes an Auto! (teleflip.com) for unknown carriers, compatible with only one 411/info service (www.411sms.com, 3109043113).

tm-imap.prc - Like tm-smtp but supports 3 different (and better) 411/info services (see other thread), and circumvents any blockage of the SMTP (port 25) that local Sprint routers may use for spam-control. To do these things, it uses an intermediate (invisible) server. I use this version since I like the 411/info services.

Remember to set the CallBack number field when using these programs!
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 11-05-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks, the new smtp works for Sprint. For a while I500SMS stopped working with Sprint, but it now does so again, for what that is worth.

BB

Just for what it's worth, Sprint made some huge network changes yesterday which caused the outage. They merged into a new hybrid network to allow Nextel customers access to the PCS network for voice, with Nextel PTT functionality.

Also, I'm working with MonkeyBoy to integrate his changes into the main release... should be better for everyone. Especially since 2 heads are better than one, and it's been a 1-man show for a long time.

_Scott
    i500 Headquarters (http://i500.nopdesign.com)
    i330 Headquarters (http://i330.nopdesign.com)

Is there a way to implement international texting on TM? When I try to send an international text it errors out telling me it must be a 10 digit number. And I have to use the country code and area code when texting...
    Samsung A500<---Old faithful<--> to SPH-I500 but really want the Treo 700P and now I have IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by scm6079
    Just for what it's worth, Sprint made some huge network changes yesterday which caused the outage. They merged into a new hybrid network to allow Nextel customers access to the PCS network for voice, with Nextel PTT functionality.

Also, I'm working with MonkeyBoy to integrate his changes into the main release... should be better for everyone. Especially since 2 heads are better than one, and it's been a 1-man show for a long time.

_Scott

GREAT, Scott and MB, that dynamic duo should be able to solve all problems!

Some improvements that you might consider for now or later:

allow sending to e-mail addresses (like I500SMS)
    allow alpha/num searching of To list (internal phone book), alla I500SMS
    keep copies of Sent mail
    integrate with native messenger (like I500SMS)
    (small point) once messsage has been sent, it should clear the window

The first two are most important, I guess. Inasmuch as I500SMS is no longer being sold, maybe you can "borrow" some programming?

Thanks for all your good works, guys.

BB

Is there a way to implement international texting on TM?
    Two questions: 1) Are you going to be sending to just a couple of int'l phone numbers with *known* carriers ? 2) How much are you willing to pay for such a service ?

Int'l SMS is obviously a complicated service that, in its most general form (arbitrary int'l phone numbers) is not going to be free... at least I know of no carrier/company/website/service that is willing to do it for free. I think what you are envisioning is a service like teleflip.com except that it will deliver for all countries and all int'l numbers (teleflip.com *will* do most Canadian carriers). If you can find some service willing to do this for free, please let us know.

So if you are only going to be sending to a few people, I would suggest that you simply find out the carriers they are using and then find out if those carriers offer email-SMS gateways for their customers (many do) and then use those email addresses with Eudora or the like. It would be possible to program TM to do a few such carriers, given sufficient demand, etc.

If you are willing to pay something to do int'l sms, there are some services that look reasonably usable and reasonably priced (like 10cents/msg), and it might be possible to program TM to use such services (though again, using Eudora for this would almost be as easy). One such service, given a brief websurf, is www.ipipi.com . Check it out, try it and let us know if it is worth pursuing...

Good questions:

-Yes I'll be txting not too often to a few numbers from the same country code area code etc...

Current Sprint phones with texting capabilities can text internationally for a fee, and I believe your right about 10 cents a text, which I'm willing to pay for no biggie..

Like I said it wont be often I just need the ability to be able to add extra numerals to TM, but I will try your email option and see if that works, except I dont really know their carriers.

The people I want to text to use a different sysytem much like a pre-paid calling card except you buy minutes and once used up thats it you have to purchase more...
    Last edited by Leke; 11-08-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Its nice to be finally registered with this site after maybe 2 years of reading pdaphonehome (i miss the old version website). anyhow, i wonder if the lookup could be reverted back to the phone list? cuz its easier for me to do that. ihave too many phone numbers that i have to really memorize it and then type it down hoping its the right phone number before i send it out on text msg. so can that be done ?

Quote Originally Posted by xa0s
    i wonder if the lookup could be reverted back to the phone list? cuz its easier for me to do that.
    I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you refering to these patched TM programs, tm-smtp and tm-imap and the change made to their lookup function ? If so, the only change made is that they now only display the Mobile phone numbers, not all phone numbers. The reason is that, of course, only mobile phone numbers (for the most part), can be targets for SMS. And someone complained that if you have 1000's of contact entries, you can be wading through 5 times 1000's of phone numbers, since every contact entry can have 5 phone number. So by only displaying the mobile numbers, the only possible targets anyways, you cut down significantly on what you have to wade through to do lookups. I believe that I500SMS does the same thing.

If this is an answer to your question, then, can you solve your problem simply by making sure that the cell phone numbers you wish to send to are set as Mobile phone numbers, rather than Work or Home or Other ? Otherwise, yes it is possible for me to restore the previous behavior, but I'm not sure that others want that (I don't) -- I could do that just for you...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast