+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xa0s
    i have too many phone numbers that i have to really memorize it and then type it down hoping its the right phone number before i send it out on text msg. so can that be done ?
    One workaround that I use involves another popular app that is also a wonderful phone enhancement, and that is TAKEphONE. It is customized to integrate very nicely with the i500, and has a great finger-only (and FAST) search & open feature with an SMS button at the bottom of your target contact that automatically opens up Scott's TM, mobile number inserted. I have found it is well worth the $20 for all these flhexible benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    If this is an answer to your question, then, can you solve your problem simply by making sure that the cell phone numbers you wish to send to are set as Mobile phone numbers, rather than Work or Home or Other ? Otherwise, yes it is possible for me to restore the previous behavior, but I'm not sure that others want that (I don't) -- I could do that just for you...
    Oh my. Mine is not even close to 1000s of phone numbers. I never use the number entries for fast dials (this is assuming what those numbers are for. Are you talking about editing the phone numbers ? I dont see how to set them up as mobile phone numbers (dont see any "mobile" field, if that's what youre referring to). Hmm... its ok, you dont have to do it just for me. I shouldn't be complaining cuz at least your patched version -does- work with sprint, which i use text msging quite alot.

and to the other dude's post about TAKEphONE, ill consider it and see if i want it. looks like i may cough up an andrew jackson bill for it. thanks! appreciate it.

Are you talking about editing the phone numbers ? I dont see how to set them up as mobile phone numbers (dont see any "mobile" field, if that's what youre referring to).
    The contact/phone numbers are managed by the Address Book app. So in this Address app (usually the left most silver button), when you select a contact entry/phone number, you have the option of View. Then on the Address View page, you have the option of Edit. On the Address Edit page, you have fields like Last Name, First Name, etc. The phone number fields are named Work, Home, Fax, Mobile, Other. Furthermore you can actually change the labelling of these fields by hitting the drop down arrow to the left of the field name.

So what I am talking about is making sure that all the phone numbers that are actually cell phone numbers, particularly those that you want to SMS to, should be labeled as (i.e. field name) Mobile, not Work, Home, Fax, Pager or Other. Note that it is possible to have more than one phone labeled as Mobile per contact entry.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

ah-ha! i see it now. the one with down arrow -- itll give you all type of field you want this phone to be paralayed to. thanks, monkeyboy.

OT, how did you end up with that name -- monkey boy? something to do with india monkey god? mine's from some video game company i saw many years ago and it rhymes with chaos.

OT, how did you end up with that name -- monkey boy?
    there are 2-3 reasons... 1) my work has something to do with monkeys, 2) it is typical in schlock sci-fi movies that intelligent aliens are calling humans as stupid monkeys, etc as a derogatory, 3) probably the most apropos, in the schlock sci-fi movie Buckeroo Banzai, the alien character played by John Lithgow, when he gets mad at one of he cronies, yells out "Monkeyboy!!!", e.g. "It's not my goddamn planet. Understand, monkey boy?" or "Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy" or "They're only monkey-boys. We can crush them here on earth" (definitely see this movie starring Peter Weller as the neurosurgeon/rockstar/hero and Ellen Barkin as his love interest and Jeff Goldblum...).

BTW, note that my little red avatar is the icon from the sci-fi movie Twelve Monkeys, with Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt. Another avatar I use is the picture of Helen Bonham Carter from the movie Planet of the Apes.
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 11-10-2006 at 05:51 PM.

hey monkey boy, thanks man. thanks! the "mobile" field works real well.

and thanks for the explaination about the monkey boy field. i totally forgot about buckaroo banzai! john lithigow did an excellent acting as a villian. love it very much. forgot he used to mock the human "monkey boy!" -grin-

nice avatar! wish my avatar would be allowed to use animated gifs. til then!

EDIT: John Lithigow's character in that movie, as i recall, is human, not an alien. love the train/chair thing and he screamed til his helmet/head landed in alien world.

Five digit SMS numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Leke
    When I try to send an international text it errors out telling me it must be a 10 digit number.
    How about a US txt msg number that is only 5 digits?

I have downloaded your Text Messenger 2.1.0 for the Samsung i500, and I really like it. However, I've just come across an application (livejournal.com) which requires a 5 digit phone number rather than 10 digits. Your Text Messenger program does not seem to allow 5 digit numbers.

http://www.livejournal.com/support/f....bml?faqid=274
    describes the service where one can post to LJ via txt msging.
    http://www.livejournal.com/manage/sms/
    shows the set-up process (not sure what you can see if you're not logged in, though)

This is my problem:
    The program requires a 10 digit number. It will not send to a 5 digit number at all. I tried adding 5 trailing zeros, but that failed.

Do you have any suggestions for making the 5 digit number into a 10 digit number? Any other work-arounds? I've never come across a 5 digit txt msg number before - maybe it's a new trend. As we both know, the i500 is not really up on new trends. :>

Thank you,
    Devon

Quote Originally Posted by pdadevon
    How about a US txt msg number that is only 5 digits
    These 5-digit numbers are what are called SMS shortcodes. Unfortunately there is no current way to text a shortcode with TM right now. What is needed is a SMS shortcode to email gateway and I know of none right now. Perhaps someone will chime in having found one. I'll keeping looking for one. The same problem exists with GOOGL and many other SMS services...

In the mean time, I can only suggest that you contact livejournal.com (I think the pages you point to require a login) and ask if they have an alternate means of access, either a 10-digit number or preferably an email address.

Starting yesterday, I couldn't SMS to Sprint folks anymore using the TM apps (other carriers were fine). So it looks like Sprint changed their website again... its getting to be a bad habit (of theirs... none of the website changes in the past 6 months have been for the better as far as i500 users are concerned).

Anyways, so I was able to patch in a fix which looks like it solves the problem (at least for me so far, may have to move to all-SMTP someday to avoid this nonsense). I patched both tm-smtp.prc (now labeled v21d) and tm-imap.prc (now labeled v21e). So if you are having problems using these programs to SMS to Sprint phones, try these new versions (the old versions are still on the site, but moved to files with the *.0611 extension). To recap:

tm-smtp.prc - Patched version of Scott's TM 2.1 that sends directly to the target carrier's server (mostly SMTP), includes an Auto! (teleflip.com) for unknown carriers, compatible with only one 411/info service (www.411sms.com, 3109043113).

tm-imap.prc - Like tm-smtp but supports 3 different (and better) 411/info services (see other thread), and circumvents any blockage of the SMTP (port 25) that local Sprint routers may use for spam-control. To do these things, it uses an intermediate (invisible) server. I use this version since I like the 411/info services.

Remember to set the CallBack number field when using these programs!
    When did you update this last? I installed these and now i cant get on the web without doing a hard reset and then updating my profile. I have too much installed to go one by one and reinstall to find the offending program and it was working until i installed these on Thursday night (2-15-07).

Thanks.

Starting yesterday, I couldn't SMS to Sprint folks anymore using the TM apps (other carriers were fine). So it looks like Sprint changed their website again... its getting to be a bad habit (of theirs... none of the website changes in the past 6 months have been for the better as far as i500 users are concerned).

Anyways, so I was able to patch in a fix which looks like it solves the problem (at least for me so far, may have to move to all-SMTP someday to avoid this nonsense). I patched both tm-smtp.prc (now labeled v21d) and tm-imap.prc (now labeled v21e). So if you are having problems using these programs to SMS to Sprint phones, try these new versions (the old versions are still on the site, but moved to files with the *.0611 extension). To recap:

tm-smtp.prc - Patched version of Scott's TM 2.1 that sends directly to the target carrier's server (mostly SMTP), includes an Auto! (teleflip.com) for unknown carriers, compatible with only one 411/info service (www.411sms.com, 3109043113).

tm-imap.prc - Like tm-smtp but supports 3 different (and better) 411/info services (see other thread), and circumvents any blockage of the SMTP (port 25) that local Sprint routers may use for spam-control. To do these things, it uses an intermediate (invisible) server. I use this version since I like the 411/info services.

Remember to set the CallBack number field when using these programs!
    When did you update this last? I installed these and now i cant get on the web without doing a hard reset and then updating my profile. I have too much installed to go one by one and reinstall to find the offending program and it was working until i installed these on Thursday night (2-15-07). Im getting a PPP time out error with a (0x1231) code.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by furball zen
    When did you update this last? I installed these and now i cant get on the web without doing a hard reset and then updating my profile. I have too much installed to go one by one and reinstall to find the offending program and it was working until i installed these on Thursday night (2-15-07).
    I have never seen any symptoms with these programs as you are reporting, nor have I seen anyone else report similar problems. But if what you say is accurate, then simply deinstall these programs as a first step and see if your problem goes away (you can just delete the corresponding file from the Desktop backup directory).

BTW, perhaps you are not installing these programs correctly ? First, you cannot install both, since PalmOS considers them to be the same program. Are you d/l the program you choose to your PC, then installing it with the Palm Desktop tool ? Or are you directly installing them using a i500 browser ? Those are the two ways I know of to install it. As a sanity check all of these programs should be exactly 45185 bytes in size. If you see something else, then the file has been corrupted.

Good luck, let me know if you find your problem...

BTW, I have noticed in the past few weeks that occasionally people who first try the patched version tm-imap.prc have experienced some authentication problems in sending textmsgs with tm-imap at first. This is due to Sprint's DNS service being broken in certain areas of the country and not issuing proper names for the IP addresses they hand out. It takes about a day to fix this issue but then tm-imap.prc will be fine. So if you at first try tm-imap and encounter a problem, please wait a day and then try again.

N.B. This is only for first-time tm-imap.prc users, and only for a few areas in the USA (could be affliate areas, I'm not sure...)

I downloaded Monkeyboy's patch for Scott's Text Messenger. Love the use of only the mobile number, big improvement.

But I am getting an error message:
    Could not open connection to SMS provider server. Hostname Lookup Failed.

I got this message from the unpatched version too. Any clues?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarknt67
    But I am getting an error message:
    Could not open connection to SMS provider server. Hostname Lookup Failed.

I got this message from the unpatched version too. Any clues?
    1) Which patched version are you trying ?
    2) Did you remember to fill in the Callback # field ?
    3) Which carrier are you using when you get this error ?
    4) Do other Internet/Vision apps work correctly ? Can you, for example, successfully browse to www.yahoo.com ? As an intermediate test, browse to www.tsolab.org and see if you see anything.

In general such a message indicates a failure of the DNS system (the system that translates hostnames to IP addresses). Many times it is a temporary problem on Sprint's end, with its DNS servers. If you have tried the patched version tm-imap.prc and it still has these problems, you can try the version called tm-smtp.prc. But if you say that even the unpatched (Scott's original) version has the same error message, then probably something else is wrong...

Still unknown numbers?

Sorry if this is be asked a kazillion times, I did read through several pages of post but they are focused on Scotts 2.1 hacked program which I will dive into later. I could not find any info on if the "unknown sender" problem was ever resolved.

I was using i500sms until sep of 2006. Some carriers did actually show up sometimes.. it almost became more numbers than unknowns. then kaputski. Ive all but given up. I did get a i600 and was happy being able to send sms like everyone else but that phone does not qualify as a PDA so sprint sent me another i500 and im back to the "hey want to hang out tonite?" of course from an unknown sender.

And. I cant help but wonder if sprint "maliciously strips the caller-id information from the sms before it reaches the i500" then how come every other tom, ****, and phone can see the number? This information must be somewhere.. especially with international sms

I've been using MonkeyBoy's patched version of Scott's TM 2.1 (so I'm on v21e), and it works great, thanks guys, but I am having a strange problem sending text messages to my wife's Cingular phone. Here's what I know:

1) I can send TMs to my son's Cingular phone, and he can send TMs to me.
    2) My wife can receive TMs from other people, using Cingular phones at least. I don't know anyone who uses a different carrier such as Sprint to see if she can receive TMs from them.
    3) I've tried both smtp and imtp versions. The smtp version didn't work for me at all, so I'm using imtp
    4) The error I get a few seconds after I send a TM to her phone is:
    MAILER-DAEMON@dnt.tsolab.org
    Subject:Returned mail:see transcript for detail
    Reporting-MTA:dns;dnt.tsolab.org
    Received-from-MTANS;
    001-834-906.area1.spc

Any ideas? Scott? MonkeyBoy?

Quote Originally Posted by drdream
    And. I cant help but wonder if sprint "maliciously strips the caller-id information from the sms before it reaches the i500" then how come every other tom, ****, and phone can see the number?
    How does that quote go ? "Never ascribe to maliciousness what can be explained by stupidity". I believe that is quite appropriate in this case. I doubt Sprint is "intentionally" stripping the information out, but it just "happened" when Sprint switched to MO-SMS and they never bothered to try to fix it. Sorry, but there is no solution. Just ask/remind your friends to put their initials at the bottom of each SMS -- many phones have a signature option to do just that, automagically...

Quote Originally Posted by bonknhead
    I've been using MonkeyBoy's patched version of Scott's TM 2.1 (so I'm on v21e), and it works great, thanks guys, but I am having a strange problem sending text messages to my wife's Cingular phone.
    Did you try to send to her using the teleflip (Auto!) carrier option ?

That's the easiest thing to try first. If you don't mind me SMS'ing your wife, you can PM her ## to me and I can try to figure it out.

Probably for some reason the Cingular SMTP/SMS gateway doesn't recognize her number. There are actually several Cingular SMTP/SMS gateways so it may require using a different one. The central question will be: What email address will work for her phone ? (You can test it with any standard email client).

Did you try to send to her using the teleflip (Auto!) carrier option ?

That's the easiest thing to try first. If you don't mind me SMS'ing your wife, you can PM her ## to me and I can try to figure it out.

Probably for some reason the Cingular SMTP/SMS gateway doesn't recognize her number. There are actually several Cingular SMTP/SMS gateways so it may require using a different one. The central question will be: What email address will work for her phone ? (You can test it with any standard email client).
    Sorry, yes, I did try the Auto! option for the carrier. I just tried it again, with the Auto! option, and I get:
    2/26/07 5:03pm
    support@teleflip-inc.com
    We're sorry we were unable to deliver you message via Teleflip. No more delivery attempts will be made. Included is a listd of recipi

If I were to email her, would it be 123456789@cingular.com?

Quote Originally Posted by bonknhead
    We're sorry we were unable to deliver you message via Teleflip. No more delivery attempts will be made.

If I were to email her, would it be 123456789@cingular.com?
    Sounds like teleflip is having similar difficulty in delivery.

Here are some possible Cingular SMTP/SMS gateways to try:

mobilenumber@mycingular.com
    mobilenumber@mycingular.net
    mobilenumber@mms.cingularme.com
    mobilenumber@page.cingular.com
    mobilenumber@cingularme.com
    mobilenumber@mycingular.textmsg.com
    mobilenumber@mobile.mycingular.com
    mobilenumber@mobile.mycingular.net

Also, was her number ported from AT&T ? You might also try some of the old AT&T gateways:

mobilenumber@mmode.com
    mobilenumber@mobile.att.net

BTW, I believe that these patched TM programs use the ###@cingularme.com gateway for Cingular.

Let me know if any of the above works. If not, you might consider talking to Cingular CS to see if they can fix the problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast