+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    Also, was her number ported from AT&T ? You might also try some of the old AT&T gateways:

mobilenumber@mmode.com
    mobilenumber@mobile.att.net

BTW, I believe that these patched TM programs use the ###@cingularme.com gateway for Cingular.

Let me know if any of the above works. If not, you might consider talking to Cingular CS to see if they can fix the problem.
    Ah, that may be it! Yes, her line was a former AT&T one. I will try the old AT&T gateways. If that works, I guess there's no way to use the TM app to send text to her, huh? Bummer...

Quote Originally Posted by bonknhead
    Ah, that may be it! Yes, her line was a former AT&T one. I will try the old AT&T gateways. If that works, I guess there's no way to use the TM app to send text to her, huh? Bummer...
    Well, find something that works first, then we can ponder possibilities. It wouldn't be that difficult to create a special version of TM that can send to those old AT&T gateways. Or try to get Cingular CS to switch her somehow...

Ok, she got a TM when I sent an email to mobilenumber@mmode.com

What next?

Quote Originally Posted by bonknhead
    Ok, she got a TM when I sent an email to mobilenumber@mmode.com

What next?
    Let's take this "offline" -- send me a PM with your email address in it and we can continue to communicate...

I'm having trouble sending Text messages to my daughter who is on T-Mobile in NYC and I am in suburb. I didn't fully understand the "patch" that may be needed. I have the pdaapps Text program and another one "SMS Text Messenger". Neither one can communicate with T-Moble, but I can send text to my wife's phone on Sprint, of course. I also have TAKEPHONE. Is there a program patch that I should use as mentioned in a number of prior posts? Many thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Boblax
    ... I have the pdaapps Text program and another one "SMS Text Messenger". Neither one can communicate with T-Moble, but I can send text to my wife's phone on Sprint, of course.
    The pdaapps program (i500sms) is permanently broken and only works for other Sprint target phones.

Scott's original Text Messenger (TM 2.1) program, as you've observed, also no longer works. But it has been patched to work again, as described in this thread. Please then d/l and install one of these patched programs as described in this post (and don't forget to set the callback number field):

SMS Text Messenger not working

Thanks very much, I loaded the Patch mentioned above (imap version). My daughter's T-Mobile could receive Text messages from my i500 now. I used both Scott's program and the other "SMS Text Messenger" program.

It's hard to go away from the overall form factor of the i500 (small size with a palm pda). But, I think I'd prefer Verizon. Basically, their network is better for reception not only in the NYC area, but in most of the cities I have travelled to.
    Thanks again.

1 more question - I didn't notice a special "callback" number field in these programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boblax
    1 more question - I didn't notice a special "callback" number field in these programs.
    The Callback # field in Scott's TM program (and of course also the patched versions, like tm-imap.prc) is located just above the Message: area. You need to put your i500's phone number in that field. But you probably have already since you got the program working.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarknt67
    But I am getting an error message:
    Could not open connection to SMS provider server. Hostname Lookup Failed.
    Just today I got a bunch of these errors and could not send out a message with multiple tries. The error messages were either Hostname Lookup Failed, DNS errors, or Netlib timeout errors. It was strange since I had just sent out some messages earlier in the day.

I power-cycled the i500's radio (END button to turn off, then on the radio section) -- these problems immediately when away and I could send messages again.

I then remembered that just prior to getting these messages, I had used nweb fairly extensively, testing some of the new proxies, and other surfing. So my theory, also based on prior nweb bad experiences, is that nweb can sometimes muck up the PalmOS TCP/IP stack (something like causing it to lose track of its mbufs perhaps). And it requires a radio power cycle to clear/reset.

That same process happens to me occasionally - also when switching between AOL, Eudora and the SMS connects.
    End button and reboot always fixes it - I treat it kind of like a computer crash - as long as its not a daily event
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

I get "Error: Data services unavailable (0x7011) -- I am guessing that means I won't be able to use this when I am roaming... (such as when I am not standing on my bed with one foot in the air and one hand out the window)?

Just picture Lisa on one foot---WOW!

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy
    (such as when I am not standing on my bed with one foot in the air and one hand out the window)?...

Just picture Lisa on one foot---WOW!
    Sound like a great premise for a new movie... Amusing Lisa Smile (apologies to Julia Roberts)...

Unfortunately data roaming for Sprint is very spotty right now, but here's hoping that CDMA carriers will decide its important...

The "data services Unavailable message" when in a Sprint network area - requires a turn off and turn on to fix - its the reboot problem I discussed before - and happens once in a while but not enough to be a problem
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Anyone else having problems today using Text Messenger? I have tried both Auto and Sprint and nothing is going thru.

TM (patched) seems to work fine today. Sometimes the i500's TCPIP stack gets wedged, so you may wish to try simply power cycling the phone's radio.

OTOH, teleflip.com's service (that makes Auto! work), seems a bit flakey today. This has nothing to do with TM really and it is out of our control. There was a similar outage a couple of weekends ago.

Also within the past few days, the messages coming back to the i500 from Sprint were suddenly labeled as from 6245 rather than Unknown. So clearly Sprint is muck with the SMS/email gateway. Hopefully they don't actually break anything. Is it too much to hope that they'd actually FIX something (like the unknown sender problem) ? Yes... (it is too much to hope ).
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 06-02-2007 at 04:20 PM.

I tried cycling the radio and it didn't help. When I use the Sprint setting I get the following error "Text Messenger encountered an error reading data from the server. Request took to long (NetLibReceive 4626, netErr Timeout). The Auto setting says the message is sent but it never gets where it is going whereas if I send from Eudora to the same number@teleflip.com the message goes right thru. I am using one of MB's patch versions (not sure which one but it says 2.1C). I guess I can always use Eudora to text but it sure isn't as nice as the Text Messenger. Texting has only recently become a priority since my kid just got a phone and well I'm sure you know that texting is the thing.

Well I see some of the same problems you mentioned, but not consistently. It seems that Sprint and/or teleflip are playing around with their servers this weekend... certainly something has definitely changed over at Sprint in the past couple of days.

I would say try again after the weekend to see if the problems remain... Let me know... thanks...

Also, version v21c is pretty old and might have problems working with the current Sprint server. You should definitely use either v21d (current tm-smtp.prc) or v21e (current tm-imap.prc). There are subtle differences between tm-smtp.prc and tm-imap.prc, but I just noticed the teleflip.com changed their MX server recently, so tm-imap.prc might be better for that reason alone as it is immune to MX changes (I may need to re-patch tm-smtp.prc).

... Right now I can't even get Sprint's own website to successfully SMS to my i500... (although as you say, emailing teleflip and emailing direct to the i500 both work)...

OK... I've now patched the program called tm-smtp.prc, from v21d to v21h. Those of you that have been using tm-smtp.prc will probably have to d/l this latest patch (or switch to tm-imap.prc) to fix the change in the MX server for teleflip.com (the server behind the Auto! function).

Refer to an earlier post for details about these versions of TM (including URLs to d/l):

SMS Text Messenger not working

There still seem to be problems with sending *to* the i500 via the Sprint website (probably Sprint monkeying around...), but the i500 (tm-smtp and tm-imap) seem to send ok to Tmo and Sprint phones via either the carrier-specific option or Auto! (I didn't check the other carriers...)
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 06-02-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks MB, I will try the IMAP version and let you know. You are right, I was using an older version 'cause "if it aint brok, don't fix it"...well it broke so I will try the IMAP version and report back