+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    Anyone else having problems today using Text Messenger? I have tried both Auto and Sprint and nothing is going thru.
    When it rains, it pours... You picked the weekend to try TM again to be the same weekend that Sprint decided to screw around with its SMS servers and gateways...

So after a bit of digging and testing, etc, here is the story as best as I can tell...

Over the past several days, Sprint has tried several different SMS/email/ShortMail gateway/server systems, with a variety of effects. About 4-5 days ago, I noticed that SMSs were coming in labeled, not Unknown, but 6245 (MAIL). I later noticed that some of my Tmobile(!)-originated SMSs came in with the sender identified correctly (!!!). Just yesterday, it then went back to Unknown. During about this same time period, I noticed that the Sprint SMS website (messaging.sprintpcs.com) could no longer send SMSs to my i500 (!!). Probably this also meant that the (patched) TM programs also could not send SMSs to my i500. Yesterday, this also reverted back to the old behavior (TM to my i500 now works again).

BUT, more seriously, Sprint has also apparently instituted the change that email-like messages, at least to my i500 (maybe to all phones, or perhaps all Shortmail phones, I don't know yet), MUST have the Subject: field header. Otherwise these messages get IGNORED!. This new requirement has/had multiple implications for txtmsgs to and from the i500. I had to rework the 411 directory services for the i500. Worse, I now believe that teleflip.com (Auto!) to my i500 no longer works because no Subject: field is generated and teleflip.com is probably coming in as an email.

So... where are we ? Well, Sprint website (and therefore TM) sending to i500's now works again. Teleflip.com (Auto!) sending from i500's is fixed for tm-smtp.prc (MX server change, never an issue with tm-imap.prc). Teleflip.com (Auto!) sending *to* i500's is still broken, I think (let me know). I don't know if Auto! to other Sprint phones works (let me know). I do know that Auto! to other carriers still works. And beware that email forwarding to at least the i500, if not other Sprint phones as well, now seems to require the Subject: field. That is a nuisance for various reasons I won't reiterate here...

Comments and reports from the field welcome...

(deibelsan, you probably experience the perfect storm -- Sending via Sprint probably didn't work because 1) Sprint was mucking around with their servers, 2) Your older v21c did not have an updated Sprint cookie. Sending via Auto! didn't work because 1) your older TM has the wrong MX server, 2) Sprint's new requirement for Subject: meant that Auto! to other Sprint phones might not work.)
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 06-04-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Sending from my I500 to itself via auot! or Sprint worked just now 9:50 AM EDT 5/5/07. Not sure about any other carriers.

Not sure what you mean about Subjects in e-mail LIKE messages. The I500's txt's are handled by the net, I think, yet not subject seems to be required.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Sending from my I500 to itself via auot! or Sprint worked just now 9:50 AM EDT 5/5/07. Not sure about any other carriers.

Not sure what you mean about Subjects in e-mail LIKE messages. The I500's txt's are handled by the net, I think, yet not subject seems to be required.
    Yup, woke up this morning to find that apparently Sprint removed at least some of the changes they made over the weekend, including the requirement for the Subject: field. They probably learned just how many things they broke with their "improvements". Anyways, that's good for us... for now... So yes, Auto! to Sprint is working again.

As far as "email-like", I was trying to be short and non-technical. Basically, there are two pathways for getting txtmsgs to our i500's: 1) using the email gateway via SMTP, which uses the address NUMBER@messaging.sprintpcs.com , and 2) via the Sprint SMS website (at messaging.sprintpcs.com, which is an HTTP submission, not SMTP. When you send to Sprint using TM, it is using HTTP to the website. When you send to all other carriers or using Auto!, it uses SMTP. I believe that teleflip.com (Auto!) then also uses email (SMTP) to deliver the msg to Sprint. The change that Sprint made, requiring Subject: was to the email pathway only, not the HTTP submission route. The fact that teleflip.com (Auto!) was using email/SMTP meant that, since it didn't add Subject:, it was broken.

This is all moot... for now... let's hope it stays that way. I am always worried that the carriers will introduce more restrictions on their SMTP gateways...

I concur with BB. For now, everything seems to work again. Hopefully, MB will be able to keep ahead of Sprint as they make changes that break our beloved I500's. I wonder if we could get a mod to sticky this thread so we don't have to keep looking for it if things break again?

Once again, THREE CHEERS FOR MB. The only thing that could get me to leave my precious I500 would be his no longer supporting it so well.

MB: just to continue a bit in your technical vein (and I'm not cleaver at all in that regard), I think modern phones deliver SMS (or is it now called text) using systems quite different from the one used by the I500. That change might have killed off our getting sender ID (that we enjoyed for a few months way back when). If you have the time, can you enlighten us in this regard?

Thanks again.

BB

PS For those interested in the Treo 755p; you will need a PowerVision Plan PLUS a text plan. Quite a shock given that I get unlimted internet, unlimited Business Connect, and unlimited text and 2,000 anytime minutes and two lines for $85/mo. before a 24% discount! BB

MB: just to continue a bit in your technical vein (and I'm not cleaver at all in that regard), I think modern phones deliver SMS (or is it now called text) using systems quite different from the one used by the I500. That change might have killed off our getting sender ID (that we enjoyed for a few months way back when). If you have the time, can you enlighten us in this regard?
    I'm not an expert on SMS -- never took the time to learn much about it since its internals are mostly inaccessible to the average Joe. I would suggest reading this wikipedia article on SMS as a primer and starting point, if you are interested: Short message service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

The tidbits that I know are that SMS began with GSM as an ultra-low bandwidth channel to get information directly to and from a cell phone, much like the kinds of signaling needed to turn on/off VM icons, notify you of voicemails, etc. It is done within the telephony protocols and has nothing to do with the Internet, though gateways exist and can be setup between SMS and Internet protocols. The SMS payload is just sufficient to deliver 160 7-bit characters to/from the cell phone.

WRT our i500, I believe we are in fact getting our textmsgs via SMS (the CDMA version), or at least a text messaging channel closely akin to SMS. The problem is that the i500 was not delivered programmed to *send* SMSs out because the i500 predates Sprint implementing true SMS on its network. Instead Sprint had been pushing its textmsging service, Shortmail, which *is* based on the Internet. So basically, the i500 had 50% of the system, the receiving half. To implement *some* form of txtmsg sending, we have to resort to the Internet protocols (SMTP, HTTP), and rely on whatever Internet to SMS gateways we can find to use.

When Sprint switched from Shortmail to real SMS, they messed up the sender-id info transfer between the SMS system and what gets channeled to our i500s. The fact that it once used to work, and now actually started working again this past weekend (for about48 hours), means that it is something that Sprint could (easily) fix, if only they would bother and care about it, which obviously they don't.

But I'm happy that our i500s can at least get fast, cheap SMS reception. That it works without the Internet is a huge plus: 1) no need to be logged onto Vision/Internet, 2) negligible power drain, 3) very fast delivery, 4) doesn't interfere with voice calls. I use it to get my emails and it has distinct advantages over the heavyweight "push email" systems of WM/Exchange/IMAP, etc.

I dunno if this answers your questions but...

Many thanks, you are great, MB. I now think I understand it; maybe not well enough to explain it, but well enough for me.

Your explanation is also consistent with some Sprint comments I had picked up. Very interesting that they did fix the ID for a little while. I agree they do not care to help us I500-ers, especially the ones on an old free Vision plan.

Thanks again.

BB
    Last edited by blazorboy; 06-07-2007 at 10:08 AM.

PS For those interested in the Treo 755p; you will need a PowerVision Plan PLUS a text plan. Quite a shock given that I get unlimted internet, unlimited Business Connect, and unlimited text and 2,000 anytime minutes and two lines for $85/mo. before a 24% discount! BB
    Hey BB,

You actually can actually switch over to the dark side(755P) and still retain your unlimited vision/sms plan.

You just have to find a rep that can do an ESN swap via the P2K system...
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Quote Originally Posted by i330 View Post
    Hey BB,

You actually can actually switch over to the dark side(755P) and still retain your unlimited vision/sms plan.

You just have to find a rep that can do an ESN swap via the P2K system...
    Baruch Habah.

It's my son who has gone dark. What exactly is the P2K system? (I ssume it has to do with the promotion offered in Y2K.) How do I explain this to the rep? Have you done it?

Many CS have told me (insisted) that the PowerVision phones NEED the new plans. I can see why they say it, would be nice if it is not true.

Thanks,

BB

Lol, P2K has nothing to do with Y2K.
    P2K is simply the pre-nextel merger (legacy) way to change account details.
    While it is true that Ensemble (the new system) wont allow power-vision phones to use the old vision plans, if they do the ESN swap in P2K it isnt a problem.
    When calling *2 ask for technical help instead of CS, any tech. worth his salt will know what is, and how to use the P2K system.

I have done this on a number of occasions without any problems.

There are rumors of P2K being shut down later this year-I'll have to deal with that when the time comes...
    Last edited by i330; 06-15-2007 at 02:25 AM.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

You are the man, I330!

Thanks,

BB

hey i am jess nd i am new to all tis can u help me?????? luv from jess

Quote Originally Posted by tripzyhasentere View Post
    hey i am jess nd i am new to all tis can u help me?????? luv from jess
    ok tripzy, I think we're all happy to help, if you could articulate what you would like help with ...

There goes MB looking for luv in all the wrong places!

BB

Text Messenger and NAI not working

Samsung i500 for 4 years. I just download Scott messenger and is not working. I will try the patch and let you know.
    Also, I got a Samsung i550 with the Sprint logo and couldn't get it connect to the internet. It shows a message that Factory NAI could't be view or edit. Anybody knows what is that.

I called a friend with a cell shop repair in Mexico and he will try to send me a software to reprogrammed the phone because Sprint didn't know what I was talking.

In addition, I'm getting a Samsung i550 from Ecuador that I bought in Mercadolibre.com.ec and will try to get all the info (esn, min, etc) transfered from an old i500 and put it in that one to see if Sprint will activated.

I will keep you posted, but please if somebody knows about editing NAI and how I would appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ric

I just downloaded Scott's TM program and got an error message when trying to text. The previous poster mentioned a patch. Is there an OS s/w patch that I need for Scott's program to work? Do I have to take it in to Sprint? If so, what do I ask them to do? Thanks! I am so glad to find some support for my i500. This is my 2nd i500 (first one was dropped NUMEROUS times and even went into the drink 3 times before it bought the farm). Also, is there a newsgroup that discusses the i500? Any good apps sites besides Scott's site? Thanks a million. -Nick

Here it is (again):

Scott's original Text Messenger (TM 2.1) program, as you've observed, also no longer works. But it has been patched to work again, as described in this thread. Please then d/l and install one of these patched programs as described in this post (and don't forget to set the callback number field):

SMS Text Messenger not working

pphuser0411
    Sorry, really, but I'm still a little confused and I would really appreciate if you could please just spell it out for me. I've read the thread, but maybe I'm just daft or something, so please know that your patience is appreciated.

So, to begin with, where do I download the program from?

Then I understand that I'm supposed to patch it, but there are two different patches. Is one a superset of the other or are they totally different? And, is one better than the other? Which do you recommend? I don't have a clue.

Thanks, and again sorry for needing a little hand-holding here.

Cheers,

nv

The thread that is refered to, SMS Text Messenger not working

contains the URL links of where to download the patched programs. That thread also explains the differences between the two patched programs. To make it simpler, I suggest you download the one called tm-imap.prc, which is found at:

http://dnn.tsolab.org/webpix/tm-imap.prc

These are *already patched* programs. You do not have to do any patching yourself. Simply install them onto your i500. They will take the place of any prior version of Scott's TM program that you may have previously installed. You may install the program either through the Palm Desktop install tool, or directly onto the i500 via a suitable i500 webbrowser.

Hope this helps...

pphuser0411
    Thanks, Monkeyboy! Works great!

nv