+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

SMS Text Messenger not working

I'll expand from another thread. For the last week, the free SMS Text Messenger program from Scott has not been working for me. I get the following response: Provider SMS server did not send a message confirmation. Could not confirm message delivery.

I only send text messages to other Sprint users. Because this occurred at the same time as the PDAApps SMS problem, I assume this is a situation where Sprint changed some aspect of their messenging. Has anyone been able to use Scott's program?

Hi David -

I just received my i500 a few days ago and installed Text Messenger. I'm getting the same error.

OK....then only Scott can fix it. By the way, I just sent you a copy of Webpro....

Fantastic on the webpro. Thanks a bunch. How do we contact Scott regarding TextMessenger?

Scott's TM worked for me a few days ago, but I get the same error msg now...

However I still get SMTP/email on my i500, so... I thought that Scott had switched to SMTP delivery for TM in his last few release, though maybe not for Sprint (maybe only for Verizon).

I just tried sending to Cingular and it seemed to work... if so, then it is a Sprint problem (Scott's TM talks to each carrier's server directly whereas I500SMS talks first to PDAapp's server who then sends it to Sprint (even for another carrier).

Just broke -- I'll be fixing for this weekend. Look for an update posted on my site in a few more days.

-Scott
    i500 Headquarters (http://i500.nopdesign.com)
    i330 Headquarters (http://i330.nopdesign.com)

Scott:
    Great and thanks again for your TM... Any chance you can, while you're at it: 1) Make disconnect on exit an option, 2) Have phone lookups only list Mobile numbers, instead of also Work, Home, Office (none of which can be targets for SMS anyways). Thanks again.

Scott:

As long as we can put up a wish list: let the user choose a list of either mobile or e-mail, let the list be searchable by first letter (at least), and (why not ask for the moon) keep a log of sent messages.

Thanks for all your good work.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

$$$

Scott rules... I wanna send some $$ as a small token of my appreciation and support. Is there a link on your site? Paypal?

doh

Never mind - just saw the "Make a Donation" link.

Quote Originally Posted by scm6079
    Just broke -- I'll be fixing for this weekend. Look for an update posted on my site in a few more days.
    At this point it is probably better just to resort to all SMTP delivery. Right now, TM works with Sprint, Cingular, maybe VZW, but not with Tmo. I don't know if there is any hope to get I500SMS fully working again, if Sprint decides it doesn't want messaging.sprintpcs.com to be able to send to other carriers... Using SMTP direct to each carrier's SMTP gateway will at least allow some kind of working SMS for our i500's. I sure hope Sprint (and others) don't shutdown their SMTP gateways, as I use that thing constant for email deliveries to my i500.

I guess this is what the twilight of the i500 will be like... Next event: our Webpro and Nweb's will die I suppose...

Götterdämmerung

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy

I guess this is what the twilight of the i500 will be like... Next event: our Webpro and Nweb's will die I suppose...

Cry the beloved phone.

BB

Man, this is almost as bad as having to put a beloved pet to "sleep"... I don't want to give up on the i500 until it is very DEAD.

Working??

Okay, I've got an odd one here. I received a several PM messages about the text messenger not working for Sprint currently -- so I went to work on it tonight and fix it, except it is working for me!

I am running a slightly different version than I have on my web site -- but it uses the exact same send routine for sprint as version 2.1 does.

That means, if anyone is having trouble with it, I need some help from them. First, I need you to check your version. Make sure it is 2.1 (or 2.1scott, which you won't have) Next, make sure you are sending to a sprint user, and then send a text message. If it is still not working for you, and you don't mind running a few test for me, PM me and I'll see what I can find.

The first few tests I'd like someone still having problems to try is:
    * I would ask you to try TMing YOURSELF from the my app, and making sure that doesn't work.

* TM the user you are having problems with from the Sprint web site using your computer's web browser.

* TM yourself from the Sprint web site using your computer's browser.

Thanks!

-Scott

PS - It is possible Sprint "un-did" whatever they "did" to break things... It is Sprint after all...
    i500 Headquarters (http://i500.nopdesign.com)
    i330 Headquarters (http://i330.nopdesign.com)

TM2.1 for me works for destination numbers that are Sprint, Cingular and maybe VZW, but definitely not for Tmobile. I don't know about Qwest, Alltel, etc...

BTW, SMTP/emails to number@tmomail.net work fine...

Why is it the I500SMS no longer can devliver e-mails to a, say, @yahoo.com address? It used to work just fine and was very useful.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy
    Why is it the I500SMS no longer can devliver e-mails to a, say, @yahoo.com address? It used to work just fine and was very useful.
    I'm not exactly sure, you'll have to ask PDAapps, but my guess is that those emails were also handled by passing them to the messaging.sprintpcs.com server, whose rules have now changed. It is already a question as to just how to handle such outgoing emails: Who should be the SMTP server ? In these days of closing all SMTP open relays, Sprint can't just accept relaying emails from everyone. Perhaps PDAapps was made an exception that is now closed. PDAapps could of course change the target server to be their own, or change the I500SMS to directly send emails to smtp.sprintpcs.com, but that would involve actual work on I500SMS, turning it into an SMTP client, which they have clearly shown that they are unwilling to do (any further work on I500SMS, that is...)

Is it really that much easier than just firing off emails using Eudora ? The one function that I500SMS provides that is "irreplaceable" is being able to send textmsgs that appear like SMSs to 10-digit phone numbers *without knowing the carrier*, or, like in the case of Synfonic, having no carrier at all.

Anyways, lets hope Scott fixes TM enough to be usable for most other textmsg needs on our i500's... It shouldn't be too hard... compared with convincing Sprint to fix messaging.sprintpcs.com...

"Is it really that much easier than just firing off emails using Eudora ?"

Actually I do not use Eudora, and it is must easer then going into my yahoo e-mail via nweb.

Maybe I should use Eudora, would it give me access to my Palm address book for e-mail addresses? That is one of the good points of I500 SMS.

Thanks,

BB

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy
    "Is it really that much easier than just firing off emails using Eudora ?"
    Actually I do not use Eudora, and it is must easer then going into my yahoo e-mail via nweb.
    Maybe I should use Eudora, would it give me access to my Palm address book for e-mail addresses?
    Definitely much faster than emailing via a webmail site. Yes, Eudora allows access to the Palm contacts DB. Just tap on the To: field and then Lookup. It is a couple more screen taps than I500SMS, but not that bad. You will have to set up a particular SMTP server (presumably smtp.sprintpcs.com)... On the positive side, you have more email client features, like maintain a Sent box, cc:'ing to other people, being able to Cut/Paste from memos, clipboard, websites, etc., and a biggie: if the email fails, you have a chance to resend it! The last one is a big negative of I500SMS that has always pissed me off: if something goes wrong, the text vanishes and you must reenter the msg all over again. Not a problem with Eudora (or Scott's TM)...

Scott, my program seems to be working now, at least to myself (can't try the other person I was having a problem with, but at least I got the message and didn't get the error message). The whole time the program was down, it seems to me that the SMS Sprint website was also not available. Whatever they did seemed to block a response while the website was down, but both your program and the website are working now....thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast