+ Reply to Thread

I500 and Palm Software

I use the Palm Desktop software V. 4.0.1 for my Samsung I330.

My wife recently upgraded to the Samsung I500, but I cannot get it to hotsync with the 4.0.1 desktop software.

It did not come with any software of it's own, but i did download and install the win xp drivers for it from a weekendrush.com search.

Do I need to upgrade the Palm desktop software? and if so, will it still work with my I330?

Thanks to anyone that can help with this.

The desktop should be just fine. You, of course, need different user names for each handheld device, and need from Samsung (or the Sprint CD that came with the I500 originally) the USB drivers.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy
    The desktop should be just fine. You, of course, need different user names for each handheld device, and need from Samsung (or the Sprint CD that came with the I500 originally) the USB drivers.

BB

BB,

Thanks for the reply, I have set up a different user for her also, and as mentioned, downloaded the win xp usb drivers for her I500... but still no success in hotsyncing her phone. Mine works just fine, been using it for some time now.

Anymore thoughts?????

Happily Converged
    From what site did you download the USB drivers? I'm wondering if perhaps they aren't the correct drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by booklaw
    From what site did you download the USB drivers? I'm wondering if perhaps they aren't the correct drivers.
    Good thought... I don't really remember, although I'm downloading the same file directly from Samsung now... would have done it last night, but sometimes things are hard to find on their site.

I'm going to try a newer version of the palm desktop software also. I think that surely must be the problem. I had a newer version, but something wasn't quit right with my I330 and it, so I went back to the version that came with my phone.

Just hoping I can get both of these to work on the same PC.

There should be no problem with getting both to work on the same desktop. I have a old Palm m515 working along with my I500.
    I think the issue is with your USB drivers and/or the way the I500 is connected (or not) to the USB port. What are you using for the connection?

BB

PS: While not all its features are supported by the phone, you can d/l and use the4.1.4 Palm desktop. BB

Happily Converged
    a couple of the conduits have to be disabled... I think maybe the photo and voice memo conduits. check the FAQ's in this forum.

For the I330, I have to have both the "Local USB" and the "Local Serial" selected in order for it to work. On the I500, They are both still selected.. I'm talking on the desktop / hotsync software...

On the I500 itself, I have the PC/Cradle selected.. I may be off a little on the name, my wife is still st work right now. Am going to try the driver from samsung themselves tonight.... and will get back with you guys. I may just need to find the newer version of the palm desktop for it to work properly.

Thanks for all your help, I'll post back

Happily Converged
    It is also possible that you have the right driver and the right settings and that the cradle is defective... that has happened before.

You can buy a USB charge/sync cable for the i500 for less than $15, from Kent at www.macmedia.com. I've bought three of them, and they work flawlessly.

Good luck.

Take booklaw's comments to heart. That is what I meant by asking how you connect to the computer.

BB

It's morning... ha ha noon time, more like it!

Had a big job going yesterday, went to bed at 6am so I didn't get a chance to work on it last night.

The cradle idea really has me thinking now...... reason why is the other night when I started all of this, I couldn't get the hotsync to even try to start whenever I pushed the "cradle button". It would only try to work if I did it from the phone itself, although it still wouldn't connect obviously! (or I wouldn't be on here :o) hum???????

You may be on to something, I'll report back.

Once again, thanks so much for the help

Just what kind of "job" did you "pull off" last night?

BB

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy
    Just what kind of "job" did you "pull off" last night?

BB

now now bb, if i told ya, i'd have to shoot ya...

seriously, I do live sound and lights, and also install systems. Last night was an install job with a lot too do.