+ Reply to Thread

I500SMS vs TM: Sprint's archiving...

The recent "upgrades" that Sprint implemented on 8/4 with messaging.sprintpcs.com and its SMS system broke I500SMS and probably Scott's TM, at least in sending to some carriers other than Sprint. But another side effect also seems worth mentioning. Sprint is now visibly archiving all incoming and outgoing SMS msgs, available for your viewing pleasure on your Sprint website account. This also means that anyone with access to your website account can see what you've been sending and receiving, and to/from whom. There is an ongoing debate (on SU) as to whether this is desireable, whether Sprint will eventually password this feature, etc.

It is my guess, partially confirmed by testing, that messages sent by I500SMS will be subject to this archiving, since they are transmitted via Sprint's servers, while messages sent by Scott's TM will NOT be archived in your Sent box. Naturally if you are sending to another Sprint customer (which I500SMS is currently restricted to), the message *would* be archive in the recipient's Inbox, regardless of whether it is sent by I500SMS or TM.

Y'all can ponder the implications of this...

That's not a good thing....but right now I'm just waiting for Scott to get it fixed. Is it possible they might have made it impossible for him to fix, given this change?

Quote Originally Posted by davidra
    That's not a good thing....but right now I'm just waiting for Scott to get it fixed. Is it possible they might have made it impossible for him to fix, given this change?
    No, Scott's program should be fine. I don't know how much of it is now SMTP, but he could move to all SMTP with minor changes to the program. As long as carrier's keep their SMTP/SMS gateways up, it should be fine. Of course one never knows as I am constantly amazed that cellphones haven't yet been totally barraged by spam via these SMTP gateways. If that ever happens, I can see the carrier's pulling the plug on these gateways. Until then, Scott's program should be relatively safe.

I500SMS on the other hand, is architected to piggyback off of messaging.sprintpcs.com (Sprint's SMS servers) and is the most vulnerable to Sprint's whims (as we are now witnessing). Indeed there is really nothing that PDAapps can do to fix I500SMS right now, other than pressure Sprint to fix their end, or completely rewrite I500SMS, which will never happen...