+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: i500 as a modem

Unhappy

Hey, I am on a mac to and I can't get it to work! I did everything you stated, it goes to connect, dials the number, shows the time of call on the phone, and then hangs up after around 15 seconds. The latptop just sits on "dialing" for a while. I put 777 for the phone number, is there anything eles I need to do for the user name of password? Or what eles could it be?

Thanks!

-Brett
    -Brett

Granted I didn't do extensive testing, but everything seemed to basically just work. I have seen some things work in X on some machines and not others. What are you using?

Just to clarify, the number should be "#777" not "777" and I used nothing for username and password.

Andy

Ahhh, that must be it, forgot the #. I'll try that. I am using a G4 867 12 inch.
    Thanks!
    -Brett

Wow, nice, pretty quick. The graphics do look kind of funky, but it works rather well. Thanks for the help!
    -Brett

You can pretty much set-up a modem connection for any Sprint phone. Here's the web site for Mac users with Sprint phones, and it includes a few small suggested tweaks on the settings when configuring the Mac with the Vision driver:

http://www.macsprintusers.com/internet_connection.html

That's a nice set of instructions. It might be my imagination, but those couple of settings they suggest in PPP options seem to increase general surfing speed, which earlier I reported felt like a 56k modem (just too used to high bandwidth I guess).

Andy

I'm surprised to still see people continuing to do this after all the postings of peoples service being terminated for #777 use.

Yeah, so what's the deal with that. Since I am new to the "#777", what is Sprint's policy? Why can't we use this, better yet, who found that 777 works. And why would it be this easy to set up if we are not supposed to use it!
    -Brett

You can check out www.sprintusers.com and www.howardforums.com, but basically when Sprint rolled out Vision service they also sold data cables that could be used to connect your phone as a modem. Then when they started the unlimited Vision for $10.00 a month, they quickly learned that people would flock to the stores for these data cables which would give them all you can eat internet for only $10.00. They pulled the cables and all of a sudden they were a commodity on Ebay and were selling for ridiculous prices. A 3rd party company, Future Dial, started selling these cables and people started buying them up. The problem is that SPCS's terms of agreement for unlimited Vision service was a little vague, whch led people to adopt their own interpretations and rules for usage. In fact the terms were so vague it appears that you would get different answers from Sprint employees on what is acceptable and what isn't. There were a lot of people doing file sharing 24/7 and transferring a gigabyte of data each month. Sprint modified their terms recently to be a little more clear and started terminating service of people transferring large amounts of data and according to some postings people are getting terminated for using their phone as a modem, regardless of the amount of data transferred. Sprint's argument is the the terms clearly state that phones are not to be used as a modem and to their credit, Sprint has data plans for connection cards and PDA's for a reason. Anyway both web boards above are full of people arguing back and forth on whether Sprint is right or not and people are ticked off and threatning to leave Sprint and go to T-Mo, Verizon or ATT if they don't get what they want. Ironically, pricing isn't better and/or the data speeds aren't as good with the other carriers. A lot of the people cut off are also past posters bragging about using their phone as a connection to Kazaa and wondering if they will get caught. Then there are people saying they only using it for occasional usage and that should be fine, but again these people are making up their own rules and sticking to them rather than what Sprint has dictated, which is if you want to use Vision service on your laptop you need a card and a plan that allows for it. Personally I'm glad to see the heavy users off the network. Maybe it will improve the service. Everyone wants to think that their usage isn't a big deal, but Sprint appears to disagree.

It's not a "use" problem as much as an "ABUSE" problem. I like the #777 feature that Sprint offers and do not want them to discontinue it. The intent (as I understand it) is to be able to use it to check email and occasionally have web access (like for checking flights, weather, movies, ...) The problem is that people use it as their ISP, downloading movies and using things like kazza. This chokes the entire network for everyone.

I haven't seen any specifics, but I believe that if you are using a reasonable amount of #777 access (like 20MB per month for example) you won't have a problem. If you are using it like others are (I've read about people using more than 3GB per month) I would expect a rather unpleasant call from Sprint is in your future.

Originally posted by Toyz
    I haven't seen any specifics, but I believe that if you are using a reasonable amount of #777 access (like 20MB per month for example) you won't have a problem.
    There in lies the problem... That number is completely arbritary and everybody seems to have their own definition of what's reasonable. I'm not slamming you, I'm just pointing out that it's very unclear and so people are making up their own numbers. Until Sprint can define clearly what's acceptable, I'm not using it at all.

Here's what the TOS currently state:

PCS Vision Packs are: (a) only available with a Vision capable PCS Phone or PCS smart phone device; and (b) not available with Connection Cards, Aircards, or any other device used in connection with a computer or PDA - including phones, smart phones or other devices used with connection kits or similar phone-to-computer/PDA accessories. PCS Vision Packs are also not available with Bluetooth Vision capable PCS Phones used as a modem in connection with other devices. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for any misuse. PCS Vision Pack credits for premium services do not carry forward.

(b) is pretty clear.

Originally posted by 8notime
    There in lies the problem... That number is completely arbitrary and everybody seems to have their own definition of what's reasonable. I'm not slamming you, I'm just pointing out that it's very unclear and so people are making up their own numbers. Until Sprint can define clearly what's acceptable, I'm not using it at all.
    No Slam taken 8notime. However, I don't completely agree about my 20MB number being completely arbitrary. Yes it is true that I pulled 20MB our of my butt, however I base that number on a few things:
    First, I can not log into my Sprintpcs account from my I5, I must use a computer. What if I didn't have an ISP? Then I would need to call Sprint every time I wanted to do anything. Having someone on the other end of a phone doing things for me is a lot more expensive to Sprint than me doing it on their website. That is enough of a reason for Sprint to allow you to use #777 to get to Sprintpcs.com.
    Now, why not just allow access to Sprint domains? Because Sprint is an ISP, they offer a monthly connection to the internet via PCS Connection Cards. The Monthly charges may vary by your location and your specific account type (busyness or personal) but the base prices are $60 for 40MB, $80 for 70MB and $100 for 300MB. And again it comes down to people power, if they were to enable their infrastructure to only allow general Internet access to the Connection Cards, that would cost in the form of additional IT administration.

So for $15 a month unlimited vision for my phone PSC account (I know some people pay $10, but I pay $15.) I figure 20MB per month is probably a reasonable amount. This is based on the fact that for $60 (closer to $45 for business accounts) I can have 40MB. To be pedantic, yes, the math doesn't work out, $15 would work out to approx 12 - 15MB (based on plan), but I don't drive 55 either, so I push the limit a little.

But at the same time, by not using it at all, you are definitely safe.

Cheers,

Originally posted by 8notime
    There in lies the problem... That number is completely arbritary and everybody seems to have their own definition of what's reasonable. I'm not slamming you, I'm just pointing out that it's very unclear and so people are making up their own numbers. Until Sprint can define clearly what's acceptable, I'm not using it at all.

Here's what the TOS currently state:

PCS Vision Packs are: (a) only available with a Vision capable PCS Phone or PCS smart phone device; and (b) not available with Connection Cards, Aircards, or any other device used in connection with a computer or PDA - including phones, smart phones or other devices used with connection kits or similar phone-to-computer/PDA accessories. PCS Vision Packs are also not available with Bluetooth Vision capable PCS Phones used as a modem in connection with other devices. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for any misuse. PCS Vision Pack credits for premium services do not carry forward.

(b) is pretty clear.
    Checkout this thread over at Hofo's about vision terminations:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=180591&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Apparently the ceiling is about 1 GB/month of vision use for the cutt-off before the "Sprint PCS Loyalty Group" cancels your vision!

Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Checkout this thread over at Hofo's about vision terminations:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=180591&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Apparently the ceiling is about 1 GB/month of vision use for the cutt-off before the "Sprint PCS Loyalty Group" cancels your vision!
    Ya, and if you're even *nearing* 1GB a month, it's definately time for you to get a full-time land-line Internet account. Since the browser on your phone also dials #777 to initiate a connection, the only realistic way Sprint is going to determine abuse is to look at traffic activity. Those using their phones as their laptops's/PDA's primary Internet connection will "show their colors" over time and will be terminated -- simple as that.

... and notice I say "primary Internet connection", and not "back-up for emergencies Internet connection". A big difference.

Re: i500 as a modem

Thanks for the step by step instructions. using the I 5 as a modem. I cannot beleive how easy it was. I was surfing in 5 minutes on my I5 as a modem. This thing is fast. It blowing my mind how fast.. if you get a data cable let me know. I use my laptop to travel and this crushes the 56k internal. Who needs wifi with this. Thanks again.

PS I did this post with the I5 modem.[I wake up each morning and pinch myself and think "What a great life"QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogulman
    I500 seems to work fine as a modem, too. Tried it using the cradle. In fact the drivers for the I500 automatically install a Samsung CDMA modem. So the only thing you have to do is create a connection that uses this modem and dials #777.

Now if only I could get a data cable.
    [/QUOTE]

Re: Re: i500 as a modem

I've been using it from my hotel while away on a business trip, but only because the hotel doesn't offer any high speed internet access..

For the type of work that I do (system administration), the sprint network sucks.. too much lag for text terminals(500ms-1s ping times), although it's fine for browsing the web.
    -mark

Re: Re: i500 as a modem

Originally posted by optioneer
    Thanks for the step by step instructions. using the I 5 as a modem. I cannot beleive how easy it was. I was surfing in 5 minutes on my I5 as a modem. This thing is fast. It blowing my mind how fast.. if you get a data cable let me know. I use my laptop to travel and this crushes the 56k internal. Who needs wifi with this. Thanks again.

PS I did this post with the I5 modem.[I wake up each morning and pinch myself and think "What a great life"QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogulman
    I500 seems to work fine as a modem, too. Tried it using the cradle. In fact the drivers for the I500 automatically install a Samsung CDMA modem. So the only thing you have to do is create a connection that uses this modem and dials #777.

Now if only I could get a data cable.
    [/QUOTE]

Careful not to abuse the I5 as a modem. Other Sprint vision users are having their vision permanently (aggressively) disabled by Sprint for using too much vision bandwidth. Watch your usage, somewhere between 20MB per month (have not heard of anyone being disconnected for 20MB) and 500MB (every post I have seen of someone being banned form vision service has used 500MB or more) is a magic number that once reached produces a call from Sprint that is not very customer friendly.

Have fun.

Re: Re: Re: i500 as a modem

Is there an easy to track usage of bandwidth? I travel several times a month and would like to use the I5 in the Modem mode. However I don't want to lose my vision coverage. Let me know if i can track it useage that is.
    Thanks Optioneer

Originally posted by Toyz
    Careful not to abuse the I5 as a modem. Other Sprint vision users are having their vision permanently (aggressively) disabled by Sprint for using too much vision bandwidth. Watch your usage, somewhere between 20MB per month (have not heard of anyone being disconnected for 20MB) and 500MB (every post I have seen of someone being banned form vision service has used 500MB or more) is a magic number that once reached produces a call from Sprint that is not very customer friendly.

Have fun. [/B][/QUOTE]

Re: Re: Re: Re: i500 as a modem

Originally posted by optioneer
    Is there an easy to track usage of bandwidth? I travel several times a month and would like to use the I5 in the Modem mode. However I don't want to lose my vision coverage. Let me know if i can track it useage that is.
    Thanks Optioneer
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, in phone mode dial the number ##786 then press the "ok" button. This will bring up a menu with usage information including data.

I do use my phone as a modem exactly like you want to. I use it a few times a month while traveling. I use it only to check email (easier than using the phone itself) and checking things like travel plans. I don't use it for any bulk data download (like sound, large pictures or movies.) I've been able to stay in the 20MB range (give or take) with no problems and no issues with Sprint.

Enjoy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast