+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Man... you reached waaaaayyyyy back on this!

Okay, sorry. Next time I'll some value

yeah, i remembered this thread and figured it'd be the best place to start.
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/communi...x15/blue_1.gif
    Get FireFox!

phones: Sam 8500, Sam a460, Sam i500, Treo 650
    Plan: $39.99= 750AT/3000NW@8/UnlPcs2Pcs/FIMF + $10 Vision + $5 SMS

Hot Sync Security

keep all your touchy data in an encrypted app like -
    Cryptinfo
    Which is really cool, well worth it. I have been using it for years. You can import from a text file too.
    with this, no problems on clear text sync over internet.
    Unless someone wants to burn an incredible amount of CPU on you.

PHO:

Very interesting on the i330 internet sync. I was trying to do that with my i500 because the cradle syncing just stopped working.

When I try to hotsync using the cradle button or phone display hotsync icon, the the phone screen flashes the sync picture for ~0.1 second and then back to the pre-sync screen. So, it seems to be a phone problem as opposed to a PC or cradle problem??

This all started when I decided I would move the cradle to the other side of my desk and plugged the cradle into a different USB port on my laptop.

Any suggestions on restoring a cradle sync?

In the mean time, I thought I'd follow your directions for an Internet sync. I got down to the point where you say change phone setting "Options --> Connection Setup = Direct Serial". My options are:

Cradle/Cable
    IR to a PC/Handheld
    Internal CDMA Phone
    Internal CDMA Modem
    Data on Air

I tried all of them and get the same screen flash that led me here in the 1st place.

Help? I really don't want to call Sprint on this one.

Thanks,
    Drew

Thumbs up keep it going...

You guys were doing awesome on this. I have had immediate success using the information found here. Now, we (someone, anyone) need to work on this problem of not being able to use DNS as the pc address w/o the handheld automatically updating the phone's settings and screwing the whole thing up. Even on cable (IP doesn't change as much as DSL), my IP is still changing about every week or so. My dynamic DNS software (directupdate.net - $15) detects this change and sends me an email, but the DNS still seems like the way to go. Compounding my problem is my wife uses the same exact phone and ALWAYS forgets to Hotsync, so her phone really needs it worse than mine. Come on guys - figure this out!!!!

jlv
    Originally posted by PHO
    1. Make sure you have the following ports open: TCP:14237 & TCP:14238. This is how HotSync (on your phone) communicates with HotSync on your computer. So if you use a software firewall, you will have to allow HotSync to communicate with the internet over these ports. The Palm website indicates that port 14238 is for UDP, but my tests indicate that communication is happening on TCP.
    Actually, it's port 14237 that is only used as UDP. I needed to tunnel through my firewall to HotSync, so I checked this out.

After starting up the HotSync program on your machine, open a command prompt and type "netstat -an". You'll see:

TCP 0.0.0.0:14238 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
    UDP 0.0.0.0:14237 *:*

However, this doesn't really matter, since I believe this UDP port is only used for the local-network Lansync, and not for HotSync to a distant host. That's to say, I didn't forward it, but only TCP 14238 and everything worked fine.
    Last edited by jlv; 10-17-2004 at 11:19 PM.

jlv
    Of course, I still wonder how secure HotSync, since it is identifying a user. What I did was add a script on my web server running on my firewall to enable the port forwarding, and then automatically disable it 15 minutes later (the time limit is an argument to the CGI, so I can make it much longer).

This way, if I need to hotsync, I will open a web page in Blazer, and then be able to hotsync. And after, my firewall closes back up, so no one can probe my ports.

Sync i500 direct to Internet?

What I would like to do is sync my i500 direct to a folder over the internet. That is, I do not want my home computer to be a part of all this. Is this possible?

The reason is that my wife's Sony Clie and my i500 CANNOT co-exist on the same machine. I have tried for months I have spent untold hours and it simply will not work. However, my work computer does not have USB (new computers w/USB won't show up until February). I need to synce before then. So, I'd like to sync, either thru HotSync or another program, with a folder somewhere on the internet that will serve as a backup. I'll pay for such a service, if I can find it.

Anybody know anything like this? Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by drew451
    PHO:

Very interesting on the i330 internet sync. I was trying to do that with my i500 because the cradle syncing just stopped working.

When I try to hotsync using the cradle button or phone display hotsync icon, the the phone screen flashes the sync picture for ~0.1 second and then back to the pre-sync screen. So, it seems to be a phone problem as opposed to a PC or cradle problem??

This all started when I decided I would move the cradle to the other side of my desk and plugged the cradle into a different USB port on my laptop.

Any suggestions on restoring a cradle sync?

In the mean time, I thought I'd follow your directions for an Internet sync. I got down to the point where you say change phone setting "Options --> Connection Setup = Direct Serial". My options are:

Cradle/Cable
    IR to a PC/Handheld
    Internal CDMA Phone
    Internal CDMA Modem
    Data on Air

I tried all of them and get the same screen flash that led me here in the 1st place.

Help? I really don't want to call Sprint on this one.

Thanks,
    Drew

You need to make a New... connection. At least i did because Serial was not listed. Here are the settings under Options - > Connection Setup:

Step 1: Name : Serial
    Step 2: Connect to: Local Network
    Step 3: Via: Serial Port
    Step 4: Ok
    Step 5: Done

Worked perfect first time. I have BOTH ports 14237 & 8 forwarding BOTH TCP and UDP that way i only use one slot on my Linksys WRT54G Router. Just besure you follow the steps CAREFULLY, and then add the Serial connection above and youll be fine!

Also remember to back up your data often. I hadnt used my i500 for little over a month, then switched BACK to it from my A680 (unusable brower and wimpy ring speaker), and forgot to sync to save the numbers i added since the last time i used it. Upgraded the Firmware to XG30 and oops....

Hello everyone. I'm coming late to the party, but I'm hoping there's someone out there who can help.

I'm actually trying to wirelessly sync with a Centro, and I'm assuming the process is the same as any other Treo. I've followed all the advice on this thread (including alternated to 'Direct Serial'), opened both ports, turned off firewalls altogether, etc. etc., and I consistently get the same problem:

When initiating a hotsync, on the PC, I very briefly get a "Connecting with Device" dialog box, but it disappears as quickly as it turns on, and then on the phone, I get a "connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established".

So they are connecting wirelessly, but then immediately rejecting the connection and crapping out.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Kinda' in the wrong forum, since the i500 setup for a wireless "Hotsync" is different than the wireless "sync" I've configured on a Treo 750p (Verizon). You'll have to make sure that a wireless "Hotsync" is supported.

There is a difference between a wireless Hotsync and a sync whereby the Hotsync is a true Palm Hotsync as if you've cradled or cabled the device and pressed the Hotsync button or icon. A wireless sync is the cell phone carrier's synchronization of MS Exchange/Outlook only applications.

Getting back on track, if the Centro supports a true wireless "Hotsync", just like the i500, then following this post should prove effective....Wireless Sync option on the i500

Yup, that's the procedure I went by, and it worked up to the point where I successfully connect with my home PC over CDMA, but then, the home PC hotsync software (seemingly) instantly rejects the phone.

Any ideas? Or any thoughts as to where I could go? Would Palm tech support help with this, for example?

I presume centro has the option to sync by infrared - and your computer has it also - the only computers that had a problem were some Thinkpad models

Palm tech should help - Sprint not very good - curious to know - have you tryed the centro forum - there are i500 guys who look at that forum -
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright