+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    I installed everything via a Mac and it worked fine. Great job Scott!

FYI...I added a skin of the aqua blue Mac desktop for all of us Mac users out there. Couple that with BigClock and you have a nice screen for the phone.
    JLEV

I just installed the skin selector and the sms program... work perfectly!! These 2 apps certainly enhance the I500 very nicely.. great work!!
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

I know its been posted ad infinitum, but a program to backup voice dialing entries. I know its tough because its phone side, and not palm side, and will probably have to wait until the SDK is out. But please consider this something everyone will want once its out.

Top of wish list - Magnifyer

I have been blessed with decent eyes but still have seen changes during my time on this earth. So while I can see the screen clearly I do feel eye strain. Oh, I wish the screen was larger. I know people will fight this request. It only has to be slightly larger and I bet would still feel the same in the hand and in the pocket and yet allow for a better viewing experience.

Anyway, here is my request since I can't stretch the screen. How parallel lines that goes across the screen. The user can click the side of it to move the position up or down and how wide it becomes. Then as you scroll a web page and text appears in this area the font enlarges to the preset setting. This is at the very top of my wish list. I can't believe this is a real big one to do. How about it Scott? I'll make a contribution for this one.

vibrating alarms?

I remembered that this was a i300 issue. Does the i5 have vibrating datebook alarms?

Still trying to figure out how to buy one....

My polyphonic ringer + vibrate + led hack will be out for the i500 very soon. FYI, it's already out for the i300 and the i330.

_Scott

Scott,

Any chance you are going to make this version use a selectable ringer that is different from text pages?

Originally posted by Mogulman
    Scott,

Any chance you are going to make this version use a selectable ringer that is different from text pages?
    I am planning on making a few mods soon, and this will be one of them. I just released the beta of the app, you can download from the i500 headquarters apps page. (http://i500.nopdesign.com/apps.esiml).

I'm planning on making the LED blink, ALWAYS vibrate (regardless of volume) and sound poly-ringer options in the v.2 release. No word on timeframe yet-- depends on if there are any complaints with this release. I'd figure a week or so, I have to read the hex dumps for the phone and see how much code is there to look at.

-Scott

Downloadable (hotsync-able) MIDI ringers would make me very, very happy. (That in itself is reason to be worried, I suppose )

-Alvin

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    Originally posted by afwen
    Downloadable (hotsync-able) MIDI ringers would make me very, very happy. (That in itself is reason to be worried, I suppose )

-Alvin
    i think there are prog's you can get to make custom midi ringers for the palm side. I haven't tested that, but i seem to remember that it worked on the i330/s - back. Then you can use them for alarms.

However, its been well documented here, that custom Phone Ringers is just nto going to be able to happen. even with the SDK.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

Outstanding - again!

Great work Scott! Thanks for fiddling with the 500!

Scott

Lord Emperor of Rome

Re: Re: Dialer

Originally posted by robo45h
    o At some point I decide it's close enough to "scroll" and use my thumb on the up/down button in the middle.

Also, the "volume" buttons on the left side of the phone can be used to "page up / page down" by rocking your index finger (presuming you're still holding the phone the same way).

The problem I have is with multiple phone numbers per contact - I have to hit the "dial' from the menu to get the sub menu...just seems like a lot of keystrokes - was hoping for something more along the lines of my old i300 which I could just hit the left lower button and it brought up the submenu - TAKEPHONE is pretty close but still requires a couple extra strokes...*****, *****, *****...I still LOVE the phone...

I completely agree about the major button pushing and squinting associated with dialing a contact with multiple numbers. I wish for the old days with my Moto Startac where you just press the smart button on the side of the phone and scroll thru all numbers.

On another well documented note, how much of a bummer isit that we cant put our own ringers into the phone?!?!? I mean every single phone has this these days, how much harder would it have been to put it in??

Will we have better luck with a picture Caller ID program??

Originally posted by SpineDoc

On another well documented note, how much of a bummer isit that we cant put our own ringers into the phone?!?!? I mean every single phone has this these days, how much harder would it have been to put it in??

Will we have better luck with a picture Caller ID program??
    I think it should have been in there, myself. If Samsung would have made a slight difference in the way the files are read from ROM (or rather which ROM) I could work around it. But... well... <sigh>.

The picture caller ID is no problem. Just give it a little time until I work out my other annoyances first. Here's my 'early game plan' for what I'm writing (in no particular order):

* Enhanced Alarm Extension for polyphonic alarms (updated vs. the beta that's out now to include ability to select the ringer you want, select if it should vibrate regardless of volume, and select if it should blink the LED)

* Escalating ringer volume, the more the phone rings, the louder the ringer gets.

* Vibrate always-- regardless of volume.

* Hard button application shortcuts (0-9, X, *)

* Speakerphone hardware + software modification. I'll be doing this very soon, I really miss the speakerphone from my i330. It looks like the speaker for the poly ringers is loud/clear enough for voice, with a small internal amp.

* Internal, or near internal bluetooth headset adapter hardware + software mod.

* MY version of picture caller ID. This will be a little different than the others that work on different phones-- but should be pretty cool.

* Anything else I decide I 'need' on my phone

_Scott

"Internal, or near internal bluetooth headset adapter hardware + software mod."

You mean without the large add-on accessory required by other BT headsets, like the Jabra one for non-BT phones?

You would be my hero if you did that. (you're already hero-like with everything else you've done).

great pre-game list!! can't wait for those!!

so am I reading this correctly, there is NO hope for custom phone ringers? not even adding additional midi files?

Originally posted by davsug
    "Internal, or near internal bluetooth headset adapter hardware + software mod."

You mean without the large add-on accessory required by other BT headsets, like the Jabra one for non-BT phones?

You would be my hero if you did that. (you're already hero-like with everything else you've done).
    That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I hate the big clip on adapter my Jabra headset needs with this phone, so I'm building a hardware mod for the phone. I'm still deciding if it will clip into the port on the bottom of the phone or be entirely internal. I could give other's the piece easily if it was external-- and it would be easier to build. But, internal would be nice. It will depend on the amount of room inside to work with. WIth some of these phones, even SMT chips are hard to fit in there!

_Scott

Originally posted by clintrob
    great pre-game list!! can't wait for those!!

so am I reading this correctly, there is NO hope for custom phone ringers? not even adding additional midi files?
    Most likely, yes. This is because Samsung decided that the MIDI files should be on a different ROM than the PDA has access to. Basically, it's completely unconnected hardware for the ringer vs. the PDA part of the phone. All the PDA can do is make a request to start/stop ringing to the ringer hardware. I'd need to pull a miracle for the i500 to get new ringers. I've figured out a way to overcome that problem on the i330-- but that tied into the speakerphone hardware. Without that hardware on the i500, I have to do some serious 'working outside the box' to make it happen. It's not that there is NO hope, it's just that there is very LITTLE hope.

-Scott

thanks for the info and the details.... if anyone can do it, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out... I know I speak for the masses when I say thanks and keep up the good work!!

just so odd that samsung would make downloadable ringers a norm for most of their product line, yet make their most expensive phone without that option. and I assume there is no firmware upgrade they can do to make that a possibility.

I also mentioned in the first impressions forum about making a sled like device (like the omnisky modem) that could house an sd slot, improved speaker, a/v jacks, bluetooth and what not. I'm sure it could be done while still offering a size advantage over the kyo.

any thoughts?