+ Reply to Thread

daylight savings - 2007

I heard that palmsource has a prc for daylight savings time - dstupdater.prc. It's for all models of palm including phones.

Is this something that we can/need to install on our i500? If we can't but still need it...what can we do?

Rob.

Sorry...here is the link to palmsource.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/dst.html

as far as i know, the phone gets its time from Sprint's network and your time functions should be set to "automatic". So I think this will not be a helpful program.

Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan
    as far as i know, the phone gets its time from Sprint's network and your time functions should be set to "automatic". So I think this will not be a helpful program.
    Well, I did a quickie try of the patch and it doesn't seem to take -- I don't think it is for older PalmOS units.

The issue really isn't setting the right externally displayed time -- I think you're right that the Sprint time setting function will take care of that. Rather the issue is the correct internal, reversible notion of time. Nearly all internal notions of calendar time in most OS's since the advent of Unix (which precedes MS-DOS), is maintained NOT as the human understandable YYMMDDHHSS (year, month, day, hour, secs), but rather as the number of seconds since the birthdate of Unix in GMT, generally stored as a 32-bit integer, i.e. the number of seconds since January 1, 1970 GMT, (I think MS decided to be different with MS-DOS and made it January 1, 1980 GMT, ten years later).

It should be clear then, that if the OS/software doesn't understand the new rules for daylight savings time, either: 1) the externally, human readable date/time will be wrong (for the few weeks that span the gap between the old DST and the new DST, in spring and fall), or 2) the internal notion of time will be wrong (the set time won't truly be the number of seconds since 1/1/70 GMT). This will lead to all sorts of possible errors and thus it is best that the OS/software understands the new rules.

BTW, it is also the origins of the coming time/computing disaster of 2037, which could be much worse than the Y2K scare, since all old software will totally get time wrong when the 32-bit integer maintaining secs since 1/1/70 GMT overflows in 2037.

By 2037 I might consider upgrading my I500 for a phone based on 64-bit calculations; but then again, maybe not.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

I think the reason that Monkeyboy's device didn't seem to work may be because the i500 doesn't seem to have the ability to calculate when DST time takes place (if you go to prefs and then to Date and Time, change Time Setting to manual you will see that the only DST setting are for ON and OFF). This update must be for devices that run an OS that calculates when DST takes place and adjust the time accordingly. Most of the devices on the update list seem to be running OS 5.x or higher with the exception of a few older Treos which seem to be running a specialized version of OS 3.5 (although why their devices would work and ours wouldn't is a mystery to me).

Of course, I could be wrong about all this since it I am no tech expert.

This is all very reasonable. I also am betting that the patch is unnecessary on an i500, because the only choices we have are to get the time from Sprint or to set it manually and choose whether to say that DST is on or off, whenever we want. Want to go to Daylight Savings in mid-January? I did, and I'm well-rested.

It doesn't seem as if anything about this should affect the underlying Unix 32-bit integer and all that.

I think deibelsan has it right; newer devices are calculating the time including DST off of that Unix time and that's why they need a patch and we, noble users of an antiquated but still superior technology, don't.

But just in case, I'm going to back up my Palm data tomorrow, real special. Burn it on a gold DVD, seal it in a lead box and bury it until Monday.

Thanks for looking into this. I got an email from Palm yesterday telling me to apply the patch as well and I wasn't sure if I should. I'm glad there are still others using this phone.

What a great phrase, garella:

"noble users of an antiquated but still superior technology"

but if nWeb continues not to work....???

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Looks like the time change went off without problem since mine is set to all automatic (where it gets the time signal from the the towers).