+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    so, when can I send you my phone?

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    Originally posted by scm6079
    I did on my phone, yes. I also checked to see if I could do it without touching internals, and the answer is somewhere between yes and mostly.

I removed the headset jack, and a little piece of regulation hardware for the battery. I removed the regulation piece, so I could replace it with my own circuit to power the phone, and my BT module. That also let me set a line high when the phone is on to turn on the BT module.

As for the headset jack-- I did "permanently" remove this-- but I'll be adding another in my extension circuit. Believe it or not, this will be the biggest pain for the "sled" type addition-- since you will have to have that nasty cord that plugs into the headset port.
    You can't permanently leave it plugged in either-- you will need to unplug it when you don't want the BT headset or speakerphone active. Problem is that it is one of the only 'physical' switches on the entire phone. When you put in the headphone plug, it physically pushes two switches-- one to signify to turn off the internal speaker and route to the headphone, the other to turn off the internal mic and route to the headphone. Since I want to 'selectively' turn things on and off (ie. mic on, speaker off) and turn on or off the headphone in software, I needed to make these physical switches electronic.

So, in short, for this mod to work for others, you'll need a patch cable to plug the 'sled' into the headset port when you want to use a headset.

_Scott

PS - I tested my BT this morning, and it is working! Voice dial, pick up phone, hang up phone and pairing with my Jabra bt200 "for bluetooth phones" headset.
    Ahh, ok, so, you would have 2 ports on teh sled and 1 in the phone, and you would have to run a patch cable to the sled? and then plug your earpiece into the phone?

And if you didn't have the sled you couldn't do the earpiece? ouch, i use the earpiece like all day.

On the Ext Batt design idea, it may even have enough room for an SD slot

Is it possible to do the bluetooth mod without removing the earpiece? Does the bluetooth require the use of the switch, or is that just for speakerphone. Cause, i could give up speakerphone to keep my earpiece slot intact.

AND,

As it relates to the mod's how difficult will it be to customize mod's. IE Give me the BT mod.
    Give me the BT SPeakerphone MOd.

I am thinking with the Bluetooth/ Speakerphone mod, in the battery. I could use that battery when i needed BT, and other times when i didn't Need BT, i would just use a reg battery. (standard)

I guess the other "downside' to the battery mod, is you would lose the use of the slim battery, if you wanted to use the headset feature.

VERY excited to see the jabra worked, i will get one after you mod up my phone Do you have anyway to test the bluetooth modem possibilities?
    there is no way to "tie in" to the headphone switch.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

damn. no one listens to me. I already suggested that in his skins thread....bleh...haha. though you could also mod the standard battery case with the slim battery, or even the Extended case with the slim battery for even more room.

Originally posted by PHO
    What if you buy the Extended battery, and mod it with the BT chip and the Standard Battery. THen you can use the extended casing?

Then also you could make your connections in the battery well and there would be no external difference in view.

It wouldn't be the cheapest way, but definatly the prettiest.

A

PHO
    Originally posted by crogs571
    damn. no one listens to me. I already suggested that in his skins thread....bleh...haha. though you could also mod the standard battery case with the slim battery, or even the Extended case with the slim battery for even more room.
    I read that, but for some reason i didn't see it the same way, "as part of the battery" i was like thinking you glue it on. I gotcha Now, It was a Great idea, i think we should go with it

Problem with the slim battery though is, its USELESS i mean for us that use the phone alot, i kill it in a few hours.

i have to use the standard and have thought of getting the extended.

So, i'm pushing for the standard batt.

Oh, but i'm hoping for a work around on the earpiece.

Only because i know the bluetooth headset battery won't last me all day either

Scott, i know you will never be able to please EVERYONE, adn we all have different needs, so i dn't mean to nitpick, your doing a great job and we appreciate it. Just tossing the ideas
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

I can't complain about the size with the slim or the standard. For me, i'm in and out of my car so my phone is always charging. I rarely run out of juice. I haven't seen how thick the extended battery is, but as long as you could still use the thinner batteries when appropriate, I'd be happy. When I'm out and about down the shore. I don't need all the gizmos. But the standard battery would seem the most practical.

Regardless, the fact that Scott has the know how and is willing to be the guinea pig for all this is phenomenal. Back in the day I did some tooling around with all my gadgets, but just don't have the time nor inclination to get that involved anymore. I'll gladly live vicariously through him.

And talking about what they crammed in to that small case. Imagine breaking open the Treo 600.

Originally posted by PHO
    "as part of the battery" i was like thinking you glue it on. I gotcha Now, It was a Great idea, i think we should go with it

Problem with the slim battery though is, its USELESS i mean for us that use the phone alot, i kill it in a few hours.

i have to use the standard and have thought of getting the extended.

So, i'm pushing for the standard batt.

Oh, but i'm hoping for a work around on the earpiece.

Only because i know the bluetooth headset battery won't last me all day either

Scott, i know you will never be able to please EVERYONE, adn we all have different needs, so i dn't mean to nitpick, your doing a great job and we appreciate it. Just tossing the ideas
    First Scott, you ARE AWESOME!

So, to keep standard battery power and add space the extended battery case would be used with a standard battery in it, eh? I like that idea alot. Especially if you could accomadate what sounds like custom jobs (ie my I wants but without losing the I Needs). Along that line I'm with PHO I want the phone to work without this mod: slip on the slim battery and plug in my headset. Could you get the power and all from said battery and plug it's tail into the phones hot sync connector... or instead of a cable out the side some sort of connector on the back that could interface only with the modded battery...

For my next wish... does the removal of the regulator you mentioned adversely impact battery or components?

Please. pardon (or enlighten me) my obvious ignorance of the electrical realities here.

Chris

Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar
    Scott:

I have an extended battery, but haven't been using it because it was too big. Will send it your way if you need one for "experiment" If it had built in blue tooth, I would prob use it!

Let me know. I'm serious!
    dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

PHO
    Originally posted by shadowboxer
    Scott:

I have an extended battery, but haven't been using it because it was too big. Will send it your way if you need one for "experiment" If it had built in blue tooth, I would prob use it!

Let me know. I'm serious!
    Sometimes i just want to give everyone a hug

So, do we need to take up a collection for parts for you scott and for Shadow with his donation? or you think you can make it all back selling us your products?

www.grtalk.com

Originally posted by PHO
    Ahh, ok, so, you would have 2 ports on teh sled and 1 in the phone, and you would have to run a patch cable to the sled? and then plug your earpiece into the phone?

For *my* phone, I'll have an earpiece port on the sled, and that's it. Everything else is internal.

And if you didn't have the sled you couldn't do the earpiece? ouch, i use the earpiece like all day.

My sled is permanent. But I don't care about the earpiece port-- that's the primary reason I'm putting on bluetooth-- Wireless earpiece.

On the Ext Batt design idea, it may even have enough room for an SD slot
    There is lots of room in there! Although, I had the fire of a lifetime taking it apart! Damn, I didn't know Li-ion lit up so quick. After opening the battery, inside is a small 'bag' of fluid. I accidently scrapped the bag with my screwdriver, and it lit on fire FIERCE. It sent a flare like flame about FOUR FEET into the air, and filled my office with smoke immediately! Toxic nasty smoke. I'm STILL fanning it out. But, the battery (although destroyed) still has a nice case.

Is it possible to do the bluetooth mod without removing the earpiece? Does the bluetooth require the use of the switch, or is that just for speakerphone. Cause, i could give up speakerphone to keep my earpiece slot intact.

Yes, with a patch cord. I don't want a larger patch cord-- so I removed it and am using a ribbon cable. This also let's me use the phone's battery for my bluetooth chip-- which has more battery life than a small internal one would.

AND,
    As it relates to the mod's how difficult will it be to customize mod's. IE Give me the BT mod.
    Give me the BT SPeakerphone MOd.

Depends if I build them myself, or have a batch built. Built myself, trivial. Built in a batch by a company, not cost effective.

I am thinking with the Bluetooth/ Speakerphone mod, in the battery. I could use that battery when i needed BT, and other times when i didn't Need BT, i would just use a reg battery. (standard)

Maybe it's good I slightly misunderstood-- I built a "sled" out of the standard battery. It will clip on to the slim to look just like the standard, or onto the standard to look like the extended.

I guess the other "downside' to the battery mod, is you would lose the use of the slim battery, if you wanted to use the headset feature.

My way-- you never loose anything-- except a little size. But you could always unplug the sled!

VERY excited to see the jabra worked, i will get one after you mod up my phone Do you have anyway to test the bluetooth modem possibilities?
    there is no way to "tie in" to the headphone switch.

Need more time on this one yet. One step at a time.

-Scott

PHO
    Scott:

Wow, i hope you didn't burn your eyebrows:

Scott, last question, then i'll just leave you alone to work and anticipate the product.

The patch cord your talking about would be external?

Also, if you have earpiece plug on teh sled, let me suggest to put it n the OPPOSITE side of the current earpiece. Because, as it is, you can't keep the earpiece plugged in and throw it in the included case, you bend the cord really bad.

www.grtalk.com

Stage 2: Building a case

For anyone interested in 'following along' as I almost kill myself, fry my battery, and move 2 steps closer to finishing the project, you can view part 2 in my hardware hacking photo log:

http://i500.nopdesign.com/hw/index2.html

Enjoy!

-Scott

Scott:

AMAZING!!!

I want my speakerphone!!!

battery idea.....

don't know if you can just buy battery cases on their own. I'm thinking no. Instead of ruining these nice Li+ polymer batteries, go to ebay and buy the cheap regular Li+ batteries if all you need is the case from the extended ones. I think they're going for under $20.

Also...is it my understanding from your mod, that you can take an extended battery case and put inside it a standard battery, speakerphone, bt, and maybe an SD slot while having a small ribbon cable that would connect it to a female slot on the phone? Or does the ribbon cable connect right to the bottom connector on the phone? What would be interesting is if you were able to have the ribbon cable leave the modified case and plug directly into the bottom port with a pass through (like hard drive connectors) to connect the charger. Just trying to visualize all this in my head while going through your pics.

If you were able to create that where the only internal changes to the phone were maybe programming, you'd probably have more of the masses willing to lay down the dollars knowing they could return their phone to stock condition in case of warranty/replacement issues.

No more rambling from me. I'll watch in eager anticipation.

I have been following this thread with ammusment. Scott you are one smart guy.
    Carl

Reading this thread is more fun than ... than ... watching pro football! Go Scott Go!

Scott,

I'm tempted to slashdot ya.... but I won't.

Josh
    I gave up on the free ipod. And where'd my smilies go?

th3_plague

that's only because it's pre-preseason. can't wait to see the eagles at the new Linc.

Originally posted by Iceman
    Reading this thread is more fun than ... than ... watching pro football! Go Scott Go!

The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar
    Thanks scott this is great stuff!!!

Words cannot express...
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

Re: battery idea.....

Originally posted by crogs571
    don't know if you can just buy battery cases on their own. I'm thinking no. Instead of ruining these nice Li+ polymer batteries, go to ebay and buy the cheap regular Li+ batteries if all you need is the case from the extended ones. I think they're going for under $20.

Also...is it my understanding from your mod, that you can take an extended battery case and put inside it a standard battery, speakerphone, bt, and maybe an SD slot while having a small ribbon cable that would connect it to a female slot on the phone? Or does the ribbon cable connect right to the bottom connector on the phone? What would be interesting is if you were able to have the ribbon cable leave the modified case and plug directly into the bottom port with a pass through (like hard drive connectors) to connect the charger. Just trying to visualize all this in my head while going through your pics.

If you were able to create that where the only internal changes to the phone were maybe programming, you'd probably have more of the masses willing to lay down the dollars knowing they could return their phone to stock condition in case of warranty/replacement issues.

No more rambling from me. I'll watch in eager anticipation.
    Wow, you can get i500 sized batteries on Ebay, or anywhere else that are not li-ion?! Could you point me to one?

Your understanding is exactly correct. It would have been that way exactly if I wouldn't have fried my battery. For this rev, it 'clips' onto the real battery.

If I went production with this, there would be NO internal mods-- but you would have two small cables, one going to the headphone port, the other as a passthrough on the charger/sync port. I don't have an extra passthrough connector to build the 'clip on' version for my phone, and given I'm willing to cut into it-- I'd prefer not to have the headphone patch cord.

In all cases, it does require some software mods-- but they are less intrusive than even the samsung keyboard.

_Scott

Scott:

Try here:

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Sal...0&BasicSearch=

Thanks for the great work!!!!