+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ouch!! those pics are absolutley painful!!! no hiking with my i500!! any update on the hardware mods??
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

Originally posted by shadowboxer
    <------------------------------------Yes, indeed, you infidels, I would be very interested in obtaining 1000 of your bomb phones, please.

i am choking laughing!

man, I don't even have an i500 yet and I'm excited for your mod. too bad corporate execs make the final hardware decision$ and not smart engineer types like scott. By now we'd have full Bluetooth, MMC, MP3, GPS enabled satellite video pda phones with mini holographic projection screens tucked in our wallets.

oh well. for now, bluetooth would suffice.

"Scotty, gimme that power"
    "We've blown the (di)lithium ion cells cap'n, it reeks like a klingon's arse"
    Last edited by docbrown88; 08-20-2003 at 02:36 AM.

Scott,

Any news? Are you still clunking around with that radio shack switch strapped to your phone?

I gave up on the free ipod. And where'd my smilies go?

th3_plague

I've had a few client projects eating up my time this last week, so I haven't touched my i500 mods for a few days. I improved upon the switch situation only slightly-- however I got a STELLAR analog switch from my friends at the nuts & volts forum that when hooked up with a 4-bit counter let's me use a pushbutton instead of a toggle switch. I love those nice tactile feel pushbuttons better than the toggle switches. The new pushbutton will work in three modes:

1- off, phone works like normal
    2- bt headset
    3- speakerphone

hitting the button again turns it off. A long hold (3 seconds) will also turn it off without cycling to the next feature (so you can go from headset to off without going through speakerphone).

I also got the design (in my head) done to autooff the bt chip if you turn off your bluetooth headset to conserve batteries.

-Scott

Originally posted by clintrob
    ouch!! those pics are absolutley painful!!! no hiking with my i500!! any update on the hardware mods??
    Am I reading right that he still sold it for over $300???
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Am I reading right that he still sold it for over $300???
    With shipping, about $375! I don't doubt many of the bidders know that Sprint will issue a new warranty on a phone if you can call them from it. Given he said that you could still make/receive calls on it a not-so-honest person could buy the phone damaged, add a warranty over the phone claiming it is perfect, and then submit a claim for a new phone saying it was lost/stolen or broken.

<sigh> I was hoping to get a cheap (broken was fine with me) i500 for dev work. Oh well... maybe another more broken one (that won't make calls) will come by cheap. As long as the main board is in there it would be useful to me.

_Scott

The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar
    Give me about a week more. Thats my average. Something will happen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hardware Hacking: A look inside the i500, and the first additions...-oops-airplane.gif  
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

or maybe...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hardware Hacking: A look inside the i500, and the first additions...-oops.jpg  
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

Things I drop and things with hardrives...always get replacement plans.

1) My Tivos (Replaced 7 times between 2 different units)
    2) My iPod (Replaced 1 times) - (note..can drop AND has hardrive)
    3) My i500 (Replaced 0 times -- but I've only had it 6 days...give me time )

ta,
    rwr

So FLIPPING COOL!!!

(Pun uninteded, yet appropriate!)

I LOVE reading about Scott's Mods and Features (and Plans, and Ideas, and...)

I do to motorcycles what you are doing to the i500...
    Take Great... and Make it EVEN BETTER!!!

Thoughts, Suggestions, and Questions arising while following this thread...

Most Wanted and Likely Offerings/Features/Benefits for the best, most marketable, and most profitable, Long-Term Design.
    - The Extended Battery Casing, with the largest battery possible.
    - Pass-through connector to the bottom of the phone.
    - Retaining the original Headset Jack.
    - Allowing the i500 to remain structurally original, relatively unmodified, able to function normally with regular batteries, when without the modified BT/SD Battery attachment.
    - Battery casing has an SD slot.
    - BlueTooth, of course.

Speaker phone can almost be done now, as I have used my i500 as a Speakerphone in quieter settings. Perhaps simply with a louder earpiece - the voulume control has enough of a range that it should still work (attenuate enough) as a regular phone. This would eliminate the need for a 3-position switch, a 2-position would work (Phone/Speaker OR Headset/BT)...

??? Can a SW mod or hack be made to add single buttom deletion of single (highlighted) numbers on the call lists {versus the current 3-step process},
    - with default highlight to the next oldest entry after a deletion (versus the current auto-return to the most recent entry),
    - duplicated entries automatically disappear - the most recent shows,

??? How/Where do I find out about Programming New, or Modifying Existing, Palm software for specific applications and uses?

- While inside the i500, did you see if the 'Vibrator' could be easily modified, such that it actually vibrates enough to feel it?
    - I would also be interested in the choice to vibrate at ANY ring volume. Or not to vibrate (that is the question)...

??? Curious Question? Was the Designer of the i500 LEFT HANDED? (Stylus being awkwardly placed on the left side - or is this just MY problem?)

- Photo/Camera Add-On Option may become available, if i500 is Palm OS 5.* capable.
    Last edited by 1PCSer; 09-12-2003 at 04:50 AM.

Quite Convergent
    1PCSer: - I would also be interested in the choice to vibrate at ANY ring volume. Or not to vibrate (that is the question)...
    A coincidence that I was thinking/hoping for exactly the same thing. Scott - is there any way it's possible to add this to your Alarm Extension mod?

Hey Scott,

Did you notice whether a RAM upgrade was possible for the i500? Is it possible without a case mod?

Originally posted by Tony_ensemble
    Hey Scott,

Did you notice whether a RAM upgrade was possible for the i500? Is it possible without a case mod?
    Essentially, no, it's not possible. Serial devices are all that are practical. Too much is built into monolithic chips for space savings.

-Scott

FREAKING McGYVER!!!

Scott,

Is the bluetooth mod you are working on expected to allow (expose) the CDMA modem in the i500 to another bluetooth device?

I ask as I am trying to use the serial port on the i500 to access the modem. I have seen various bluetooth products that enable any standard RS232 port to be accessed via bluetooth (expansys has some from free2move and brainbox as examples).

I know that with the I300 data cable (the plain serial one) that the i500 can do a serial hotsync as well as communicate to other serial devices (like using a terminal emulator program).

The big question is "how do you configure the phone to have the serial port talk to the modem?"

Thus far, Samsung (Sprint won't talk about it) has not responded to my inquiries.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    George Sullivan

Originally posted by gtsullivan
    Scott,

Is the bluetooth mod you are working on expected to allow (expose) the CDMA modem in the i500 to another bluetooth device?

I ask as I am trying to use the serial port on the i500 to access the modem. I have seen various bluetooth products that enable any standard RS232 port to be accessed via bluetooth (expansys has some from free2move and brainbox as examples).

I know that with the I300 data cable (the plain serial one) that the i500 can do a serial hotsync as well as communicate to other serial devices (like using a terminal emulator program).

The big question is "how do you configure the phone to have the serial port talk to the modem?"

Thus far, Samsung (Sprint won't talk about it) has not responded to my inquiries.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    George Sullivan
    I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for-- but I can tell you how to find it. The i300's cable also works fine with the i500. The i300 is a db9 serial port on one side, the samsung style connector on the other. You see where I'm going with this? Pick your signal lines, and go.

_Scott

PS - If you don't mind telling, what are you working on?

Scott,

I have the I300 Serial cable and have used it with the I500. It works fine for hotsync and have used a terminal emulator program on the I500 to connect to hyperterm on a PC just to see it work. I only did the connections above to see that the I300 serial cable was working.

What I have not been able to do is get the I500 to behave like a modem when connected to the I300 serial cable. I have been able to get the I500 to behave like a modem when using a USB connection to my normal laptop (as many people have using the I500 Samsung CDMA Modem driver-USB from the I500 CD).

What I am trying to do....

I also have a Sony Clie UX50 and an old Toshiba Libretto 70CT (a very, very small computer/laptop) running Win 98SE. The Libretto has no USB capability, only serial. The PCMCIA slot in the Libretto is not cardbus capable so no ability to add USB. The Clie has no serial port but does have bluetooth (thus the items about bluetooth to serial converters in my previous post).

My goal is very simple, get the I500 to behave like a modem when the I300 serial cable is attached. Thus far, I cannot get the serial port (modem) on the I500 to pay attention to AT commands.

I am not looking to build anything, just string together off-the-shelf stuff and make it work. I travel on business a fair amount a day or two at a time and often need to review, respond or occasionally lightly edit MS Word documents and MS Excel spreadsheets. I absolutely hate carrying a laptop around for day trips. While the I500 absolutely works, the screen is a bit to small for me to do much. The Clie or the Libretto are just big enough (and have keyboards) and are extremely easy to carry - but I need the serial port on the I500 to behave like a modem to get to PCS Vision.

Thats what I trying to do.....

Help/info on making it happen would be appreciated.

Regards,
    George

I also have the I300 serial cable and have had success hotsyncing my I500 with it, but have NOT been able to get the phone to work as a modem...

I haven't figured it out either, but if you do, please let me know and I will do the same for you..

I want to use my NT 4.0 notebook (serial only) and the I500 as a modem....

one day.....
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1PCSer: - I would also be interested in the choice to vibrate at ANY ring volume. Or not to vibrate (that is the question)...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by petersr
    A coincidence that I was thinking/hoping for exactly the same thing. Scott - is there any way it's possible to add this to your Alarm Extension mod?
    I agree! I want it to vibrate too! Why isn't this the default?!?
    Why only at 0 and at 8? It doesn't make sense! (If it was only 0 it would make a little sense, but since it does it at 8 too?)

I would like this feature too.

BUT from earlier discussions, I'm not sure if it's possible 'cause I think he just jumps into the ring feature.

Gary

couldn't a vibrate at any level just be a firmware upgrade offered by samsung? Instead of trying to develop hacks for everything, is it possible for enough people to bug the crap out of samsung to make the fix?