+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar
    Possibly. But its nearly impossible to rally everyone around the same issue.
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

Quite Convergent

Firmware to vibrate at any level!

Let's rally Rave!

Re: Firmware to vibrate at any level!

Originally posted by petersr
    Let's rally Rave!
    Hmm, we don't decide what feature we release in any maintenance upgrades. It's Sprint that does this. So, unless Sprint explicitly asks us to do this fix, we can't just go ahead with a fix. What I can do, is when we make our next device, I'll try to incorporate this feature.

The problem is, I'm working on the next NEXT model so, not the immediate successor to i500, so you'll have to wait a bit for it to be released My bold prediction for my new device? Early 2005.

My bold prediction for my new device? Early 2005.
    So does that mean Samsung will release the specs sometime early 2004 and release the device 9-12 months later? Btw, I can't wait!

Quite Convergent
    Orignially posted by Rave:
    Hmm, we don't decide what feature we release in any maintenance upgrades. It's Sprint that does this.
    Thanks for the fast update Rave... since 2005 is a long time to wait (though we'll all try), do you happen to have a name/address/email of who's button we try to push at Sprint to get vibrate at any volume included in the first firmware upgrade?

(Hmm...I wonder what my 2005 succesor to the i500 will look like and do?...)

Originally posted by clintrob
    I also have the I300 serial cable and have had success hotsyncing my I500 with it, but have NOT been able to get the phone to work as a modem...

I haven't figured it out either, but if you do, please let me know and I will do the same for you..

I want to use my NT 4.0 notebook (serial only) and the I500 as a modem....

one day.....
    I'm sorry that I really don't have any info for you, but I can warn you that NT has very clunky dial-up and networking support. 9x (which is otherwise complete junk), 2000 and XP all have better and easier dial-up support.

Charging batteries

Does anybody know about the design of the original batteries? Specifically I am interested if there is any electronics inside the battery that control charging/prevent overcharging/trickle charge.

Scott, when you cut into your battery did you find any electronics?

In relation to this new BoxWave USB sync/charging cable that is now available I was curious how overcharging/trickle charging is controlled - by the battery itself? or by the phone? or does the charger have to monitor it?

Anyone have any info?

on/off button add on for the headset...

Hey Scott,

I know you talked about making a pass through plug in on/off button for headset use in another thread when we were talking about the plantronics headsets. Was there any chance of you actually making these? I think the topic just died out. Well that, and I know you're busy as can be.

Ryan

I'll tell you what, I'd be real happy with just a picture caller ID program. Any word on this? It can't be that hard, and we will all donate.

Originally posted by scm6079
    The amp. circuit is built onto my BT card-- but I don't have a speaker.

-Scott
    Would you be able to use the external speaker the i500 uses for rings? If it is loud enough for a wake up alarm, I would think it is loud enough for a speaker phone

Wayne

Originally posted by houston92
    Would you be able to use the external speaker the i500 uses for rings? If it is loud enough for a wake up alarm, I would think it is loud enough for a speaker phone

Wayne
    Good question - why can't sound be re-routed to the external speaker?
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

Originally posted by dstrauss
    Good question - why can't sound be re-routed to the external speaker?
    Well, if the circuitry of the phone was only set up for playing ringers and alerts, it might not be possible to reroute sound there.

That said, there's another post in this forum from someone who claims that an incoming call was somehow routed to the external speaker by accident. If that's true, it would indeed appear to be possible and under software control. But the currently released software just doesn't enable the feature. Some sort of glitch would have caused it to happen by accident. Quite possible on an operating system like Palm OS 4.x that doesn't have a real secure memory model.

That said, rerouting sound to the external speaker is only PART of having a speaker-phone. The other part is getting the microphone to pick up your voice from a distance.

One thing I have noticed about the SPH-i500 is that it the microphone (or software running the microphone) appears to have it tuned much more tightly than my old StarTAC. This can be a benefit for eliminating background noise, as the mic only picks up your voice if it is loud or close to the mic input. It is very surprising that I don't have to move my mouth all that far from the mic and people start asking, "What did you say?"

I've noticed this when I was talking to someone on the phone, and they would ask me for someone else's phone number. I would take the phone away from my ear and begin to use the Address Book application to retrieve the phone number. When I would "read out" the number to them, holding the phone in front of my face, they couldn't hear me unless the mic was close to my mouth or I spoke much more loudly than I normally do on the same phone.

Originally posted by robo45h
    One thing I have noticed about the SPH-i500 is that it the microphone (or software running the microphone) appears to have it tuned much more tightly than my old StarTAC. This can be a benefit for eliminating background noise, as the mic only picks up your voice if it is loud or close to the mic input. It is very surprising that I don't have to move my mouth all that far from the mic and people start asking, "What did you say?"

I've noticed this when I was talking to someone on the phone, and they would ask me for someone else's phone number. I would take the phone away from my ear and begin to use the Address Book application to retrieve the phone number. When I would "read out" the number to them, holding the phone in front of my face, they couldn't hear me unless the mic was close to my mouth or I spoke much more loudly than I normally do on the same phone.
    This may be unit specific. In a quiet environment, I've used it as a meek speaker phone (I can hear what they are saying) and the other end of the conversation reports a clear signal, but with background noise (even if quiet). Not exactly "Can you hear me now?"
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

Cool

Originally posted by rjmoose
    I am in AWE
    ...ditto

holy ****!!

I cant believe this guy, its just so incredible, he got a light switch on the top and green light on the battery!. I just cant believe he did this and only blew up 1 battery!

his results are clearly worth while,ahahahaha

its never going to work

Actually, it works rather well, and is quite integrated now. Take a look at the dates of that posts from last year.... I've been using it for 6 months or so now. There are now 3 i500 bluetooth users out there. Other than being too expensive to be practical, it works wonderful!

FWIW, the switch is gone, and a touch sensitive switch with a decade counter is in it's place, that let's you cycle the 3 modes.

_Scott
    i500 Headquarters (http://i500.nopdesign.com)
    i330 Headquarters (http://i330.nopdesign.com)

Scott - are you still modifying the I500's? How's the speakerphone?

The wonderful world of wireless! naturalsister's Avatar
    Ok, Scott for President. I would kill for the speakerphone hack. I'll fly you in, put you in a hotel, and rent you a Ferrari. You totally rock!!!!

Who needs an i-550 when we have you!
    Later - naturalsister
    Bye, bye Centro - Pre next!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PHO View Post
    If you think it looked like a bomb before -
    Check out the Temporary Switch Hack he has on there till his parts come in
    i500 Headquarters. Skins for Samsung SPH-i500 SmartPhone
    I miss my i500. I think that quite often.

I was thinking of the exploding battery and managed to find it here i500 Headquarters. Skins for Samsung SPH-i500 SmartPhone and it made me feel the need to comment about my old favorite phone...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 700p (previously Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Inconsistently tethered to my 700p)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6