+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hardware Hacking: A look inside the i500, and the first additions...

Okay, even I think I may be a little crazy, but I really wanted a few features the i500 didn't have. So for all the curious out there like myself, here is a look inside the i500 and at my early development to add a bluetooth chipset and speakerphone to the i500.

http://i500.nopdesign.com/hw/

_Scott
    i330 Headquarters: http://i330.nopdesign.com
    i500 Headquarters: http://i500.nopdesign.com

I am in AWE

the network engineer that works for our company also takes on projects like this, "for the fun if it". Since I pay the bills for the company, I often have to remind him, there is a slim line between bravery and stupidity.

You are one brave dude.
    Carl

Insanity

What can I say!?

Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar
    Wow!

That is one tightly packed circuit board. Kudos to Samsung with the miniturization efforts.

As to Scott, all I can think of to say is:
    Woh-woh-woh-woh-woh!!!!! Go Scott!
    dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

Scott when you get this perfected sign me up if you are accepting phones for mods. I have my Sprint insurance so the worst I lose is 30 bucks to replace the phone.

Im still hoping for a SD slot somewhere.

Wil Sprint's insurance cover the crossing of the line from bravery to stupidity? I would think once you crack the case open, it is yours forever.
    Carl

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    Wil Sprint's insurance cover the crossing of the line from bravery to stupidity? I would think once you crack the case open, it is yours forever.
    Yes, once you crack open the case, you would void the warrenty, and you wouldn . . .. Hey, who are you, what the, Get away, No you can't have my phone, Dammit - Owe Owe Owe, Get off, (crack) (BAM) (Shazaam) haaa, haaa, haaa,

Don't Take My Phhoonnneeeeeee ee

Damn city life

On a serious note, Scott, I'm stoked dude, can't wait to see how testing goes. Sign me up for the bluetooth mod. I'm curious to see the casing for it.

Also when you said got rid of unnessecary circuitry, did you change any function of the phone?

and this is a silly question, but you are going to put back the headset jack right
    Last edited by PHO; 08-07-2003 at 09:07 AM.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

I was told the insurance covers loosing the phone to.

PHO
    Scott, this might not be the most economical solution, but maybe, a pretty one.

What if you buy the Extended battery, and mod it with the BT chip and the Standard Battery. THen you can use the extended casing?

Then also you could make your connections in the battery well and there would be no external difference in view.

It wouldn't be the cheapest way, but definatly the prettiest.

A
    Last edited by PHO; 08-07-2003 at 10:20 AM.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

Sign me up for a speakerphone mod!!!

Add me to the AWE list. I wish I had real skills.

Master
    Pretty amazing.... I'm almost waiting for the "April fools" joke to come! (the eternal skeptic in me)...

So hardware is one thing, but integrating the software (with the software stack and APIs) is probably a more daunting task. But if this is pulled off, SCM definitely deserves much respect.

I won't beleive it until I see screen shots (of both the phone and another device)!

Scott,

Is there a reason why you had to open up and solder to the circuit board, as opposed to interfacing through the bottom connector? Obviously, connecting through the bottom connector would be preferrable to opening up the box.

Cool OOoohhhhh...

Originally posted by PHO
    Scott, this might not be the most economical solution, but maybe, a pretty one.

What if you buy the Extended battery, and mod it with the BT chip and the Standard Battery. THen you can use the extended casing?

Then also you could make your connections in the battery well and there would be no external difference in view.

It wouldn't be the cheapest way, but definatly the prettiest.

A
    That's a really good idea. Now I'm torn between my original idea to make a CNC milled aluminum 'bubble' for the battery or use the extended battery's case... The extended battery would be a cheaper route I think... and "hidden" by all standards.

_Scott

PHO

Re: OOoohhhhh...

Originally posted by scm6079
    That's a really good idea. Now I'm torn between my original idea to make a CNC milled aluminum 'bubble' for the battery or use the extended battery's case... The extended battery would be a cheaper route I think... and "hidden" by all standards.

_Scott
    Well, i do "ideas' for a living I am not sure about the bubble aspect that you were speaking of, can't picture it, but, the biggest upside is the solid form factor. no extra parts to fall off, no external connections

The downside is you'd definatly have to mod phones and create the new "connection" in the back of the case.

I am checking with one of the sprint suppliers from the board to see if we can maybe get some discounts on mass orders of extra batteries, so like if we get 20 orders, maybe we can discount the battery a couple bucks, 20 bucks or something. i dunno what their markup is like.

Theoretically, there might even be enough room for an SD slot
    Last edited by PHO; 08-07-2003 at 01:28 PM.

www.grtalk.com

Originally posted by PHO

Also when you said got rid of unnessecary circuitry, did you change any function of the phone?

and this is a silly question, but you are going to put back the headset jack right
    I did on my phone, yes. I also checked to see if I could do it without touching internals, and the answer is somewhere between yes and mostly.

I removed the headset jack, and a little piece of regulation hardware for the battery. I removed the regulation piece, so I could replace it with my own circuit to power the phone, and my BT module. That also let me set a line high when the phone is on to turn on the BT module.

As for the headset jack-- I did "permanently" remove this-- but I'll be adding another in my extension circuit. Believe it or not, this will be the biggest pain for the "sled" type addition-- since you will have to have that nasty cord that plugs into the headset port.
    You can't permanently leave it plugged in either-- you will need to unplug it when you don't want the BT headset or speakerphone active. Problem is that it is one of the only 'physical' switches on the entire phone. When you put in the headphone plug, it physically pushes two switches-- one to signify to turn off the internal speaker and route to the headphone, the other to turn off the internal mic and route to the headphone. Since I want to 'selectively' turn things on and off (ie. mic on, speaker off) and turn on or off the headphone in software, I needed to make these physical switches electronic.

So, in short, for this mod to work for others, you'll need a patch cable to plug the 'sled' into the headset port when you want to use a headset.

_Scott

PS - I tested my BT this morning, and it is working! Voice dial, pick up phone, hang up phone and pairing with my Jabra bt200 "for bluetooth phones" headset.

Scott:

Do you have my Speakerphone Mod ready to go yet?

Originally posted by mattmcg
    Pretty amazing.... I'm almost waiting for the "April fools" joke to come! (the eternal skeptic in me)...

So hardware is one thing, but integrating the software (with the software stack and APIs) is probably a more daunting task. But if this is pulled off, SCM definitely deserves much respect.

I won't beleive it until I see screen shots (of both the phone and another device)!
    Here's the way the integration works:

1. Tap into the power circuitry for the phone, use a very small charge pump to dc/dc convert voltage. This let's me power my module using the phone battery with no internal battery.

2. Route the leads from the internal headset jack-- including the 'headset detection' circuitry outside the phone. This will let me use a transistor array to turn the headset port on and off. It also let's me get the analog signal for voice and mic to encode for the BT chip. I'm using an 'off the shelf' surface mount bluetooth package. This gives me 80% of the hardware for the bluetooth built. I still have to have software for the headset profile-- but that is easy (basically reference code).

3. Route a few lines from the i500's data port. This is CRITICAL to my ability to integrate with the phone-- most phones don't have this. I can read/write from that port using the Palm PDA software's serial manager, and talk serial through the port natively to palm os. The BT module can receive this data.

Luckily, in many ways this is easier than my "polyphonic ringer hack"! Although hardware, and writing 'device drivers' always has it's challenges-- there are very few 'unknowns' here. Since I'm going through the industry standard headset port, and the palm standard serial manager -- the only real unknown was mapping a few hardware pins.

Now all I have left are some style/aesthetic questions.

-Scott

Originally posted by rjmoose
    Scott:

Do you have my Speakerphone Mod ready to go yet?
    The amp. circuit is built onto my BT card-- but I don't have a speaker.

-Scott

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast