+ Reply to Thread

Why couldn't they throw Palm OS in this?

Was shopping Verizon with the prospects of taking our $10k per year account away from Sprint who just continues to f*ck with our account every month (extra charges for texting when the line has unlimited texts, roaming and LD charges when they're supposed to be included, Data charges when Vision is supposed to be included, and the list goes on).

So I check out this neat little Samsung phone made for texters and just thought, I'd be so frickin' happy if there was a POS on it or just a decent PIM. Could you imagine a smartphone that's this size (again)? I almost had someone talked into getting it, but I ultimately talked them into the BB. The sales rep (who was quite cute) just told me to continue talking. I think I learned her a thing or two. She also tried to tell the customer the BB didn't have built in GPS. I felt bad bursting her bubble that Verizon disabled it. But anyway, I couldn't stop playing around with the Samsung. Dare to dream. Why can't a mfg put 2 & 2 together and come out with a pda like this? I think the LG Envy suffers the same fate as well though that's a bit bigger, like coke can height.

Save at least 15% on ProClip Products. PM me for info how to order. My website is down now that I dumped comcast for verizon.

Yeah, I looked at that Samsung a month ago, at VZW. On the surface it looks appealing, but I didn't think the build quality was very high. Also no touch screen and I didn't like the keypad/keyboard.

In the mean time, I've been playing with a Dash, which I like alot. But for actual phone use, I go back to the i500. I'm kinda waiting for the CDMA Touch (Vogue) to come to Sprint (hopefully). There is a good chance I'll drop the i500 then if that does happen, though I would still prefer a clamshell/flip. But no sense in pining over things that will never happen... Still hoping that Palm will wake up some day, but again, they're like a trainwreck in (very) slow motion, which is sad...

I kinda liked the build quality after playing with it for a half hour. It was tough to really figure out the keyboard because of the stupid black plastic strip around it. I think it would've been something I could adjust to over time. I manage to enjoy the keyboard on the treo after migrating away from graffiti. I could live without the touchscreen as long as I could cut and paste using the d-pad and a keypad shortcut like the new BB. And as a lefty, the d-pad and controls on the left side when in landscape is pretty sweet.

If we migrate away from sprint I think I'm definitely going with the BB. I'd like to see about getting my i5 going again. 90% of my web surfing is on pda formatted websites so speed isn't that big of a deal without EVDO. But the high speed BT tethering with my laptop might be missed not to mention no more BT headset which I got accustomed to even if it isn't stellar on the Treo.
    Save at least 15% on ProClip Products. PM me for info how to order. My website is down now that I dumped comcast for verizon.

A co-worker has one of those and it is actually very nice. Check out Palminfocenter for a rumor about the new Centro that is coming to Sprint. Not a flip phone but from the picture that thing is going to be like IPOd NANO small.

yeah. have seen it. Can we saw it in half and put some hinges on it?

fyi, i have a friend who works at Palm and he says they are ditching the Palm OS. it's Windows from here on out. i totally forgot about Centro, but then again he never brought up Centro in our conversation. who knows, maybe a last-ditch low-risk effort to see if the market will take a final bite on a Palm OS device. next time i see him i'll ask. if Centro's a bust, that's it for sure for Palm OS.

anyways, from my other posts you can see that today i am catching up on months of being away from this board. i have touted the iPhone which i bought for my wife not too long ago, but i must say i gotta check out this nice little Samsung for Verizon.

if it can't match the speed/functionality of the Palm OS calendar/phonebook/to-do, then it better have a fast/usable browser. i figure when Palm OS goes away and we are left with calendar apps that don't cut it, everything will go online like via Google Calendar anyways.

maybe for i500 users and with Palm disappearing and Windows continuing to be too complex for a cellphone, we're gonna be looking for wifi in a clamshell. again, very very tough to resist iPhone's browser esp. as it graduates away from unimpressive EDGE to a faster network on AT&T.

not sure what you and your "friend" at palm are smoking but Linux is the basis of future palms/treos and such. Maybe your friend is the janitor or something, but you've both obviously have been living under a rock. Look up ALP even and you'll find wonderful screen shots of a linux based phone with palm touches to it. Palms whole point of ditching the FOLEO was to focus on its next gen phone which is most certainly not windows based.

And this Samsung doesn't begin to have PIM functionality remotely close to a palm or any other pda on the market. It was just my hopeful wishing.

In PIM land Palm rules.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

which is why I didn't end up keeping the Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    In PIM land Palm rules.

BB

okay crogs, my buddy is a janitor and we live under rocks and smoke weed. are you happy now? you win.

you have a nice day, now, but if you ever reply to my posts again, i'd appreciate if you left out the hurtful parts.

now i remember why i'd rather not post on forums. people forget there's a human being on the other end.

btw, i don't wanna go look up ALP, never heard of it, don't care about it. i'm just sharing you what i heard from a palm employee in NORMAL EVERYDAY CONVERSATION. sorry if i offended you.

Hey super I am sure crogs had no intent to hurt your feelings. Give him and this site another chance. If lyou look over the history you will see that many people have been helped by it and crogs often was the helper.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Let's keep it cool in here guys...

Anyway they couldn't stick Palm OS in it because of this:
    The End Of Samsung Palm OS Phones Is Here: SPH-i500 Has Been Discontinued.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

I guess newer people don't know my sarcastic, fun loving, good natured personality. No ill will intended by any means. Just friendly banter. Here's the ALP link for you to check out. It's good stuff. Cheers mate.

ACCESS Linux Platform (ALP)

and i330...yeah, I know. LG bought all their rights, property and what not. Wonder why they never did anything with it. They had over 2yrs to throw something together. Tis a shame.

Even cooler would be if someone could figure out how to "rockbox" a pda phone. Could you imagine breathing new life into the i500? I'm sure it's next to impossible with all the network support you'd need, but imagine having a base linux OS that could be modded to phones. Could have a few carrier specific base setups and just modify from there based on the hardware.
    Last edited by crogs571; 10-11-2007 at 11:48 AM.