+ Reply to Thread

Thread: internet

internet

so, with the iPhone out there in droves, is there any sexy new (faster) internet connectivity for the i500? Forgive me for asking a DAQ, but do we use EDGE?

~confused, as usual...

unfortunately no, ain't possible. The i500 is set up for CDMA 1xrtt (or 2G CSD) data only. There isn't going to be any reasonable way to get the i500 to take advance of faster/better data.

But 1xrtt (Sprint's Vision) is pretty close to EDGE in performance. Even theoretically, EDGE is about twice as fast as 1xrtt, in practice they are fairly similar. So you needn't be too envious of EDGE.

Its the 3G data services that blow 1xrtt away: CDMA's EVDO (Sprint Power Vision), and GSM's HSPDA. These services are at least 5 times faster than 1xrtt. The thing is, that even if the i500 could use EVDO, its CPU, memory, battery and OS/software is so limited that I doubt there'd be much of a benefit.

Anyways the other part of your question about EDGE... that is a GSM service that the i500, CDMA and Sprint would never be compatible with. The comparable data service is in fact 1xrtt (Vision). Both are considered 2.5G.

Been playing with a 755p EVDO and it screams; may pick up one just for fun.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Been playing with a 755p EVDO and it screams...
    Yeah, that's why I'm trying to figure out the best way to angle for a SERO account now. I'm anticipating the day when I'll have to give up on the i500 and then its GF Vision with unl SMS will no longer be useful on a EVDO device. The SERO plans now (til 9/27/07) *include* EVDO *and* unlimited SMS. So I think now is the time to jump on a SERO plan, even if I'm not yet ready to give up on the i500...

MB

If you buy any Power Vision phone and speak with "retention" and push you can keep your old plan on a Power Vision phone w/ power vision (tell them to use the P2K accounting system). How long they will have this ability I do not know.

Any more info on the multi-phone registration for a given number? I can now see why it might be a good thing.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Business CS agents still have access to P2K as well.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

to answer the original question, as i posted elsewhere, at least in my area the iPhone's/AT&T internet network for me has been very unimpressive (i bought an iPhone for my wife recently).

sometimes my i500 can still pull up data faster than wifey's iPhone (of course, the iPhone is pulling up the website in full detail, though).

however, if and when AT&T finally rolls out a faster network (my friend who works for AT&T said December), look out.

that may be when I finally ditch my i500 for something else...I'm glad that something is as impressive as the iPhone. all these years, i've skipped Treos, blackberrys, Moto Q's. The i500 has won a lot of battles for me, but it will finally have met its match, I think.