+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unhappy yes but I just drowned my phone, now what?!

Last night I knocked it into the bathtub. It was only in for two seconds but the screen is fried.

After 3 1/2 years...

A few months ago I got to meet my heroine and needed to video her. No video capture on the iPhone. I really wanted a Nokia N93i cameraphone, but there's no Nokia store in S.F. and only shady stores sell it. So I bought a stupid camera.

I want the same thing I've always wanted: third-party apps, a phone dial pad, touch screen, and clamshell. I guess I could lose the phone dial pad if a phone has awesome voice dialing; I guess I could lose the clamshell if someone makes an awesome case. Agghhh.

Can you copy and paste from a browser on any other phone?

I'd check out the HTC Touch, Sprint's site is down.
    =S
    Clamshell w/ PalmOS + camera + MP3 + 4GB expansion card + GPS + Bluetooth + WiFi... build it already!

I'm here, albeit not all that regularly.

They will pry the i500 out of my cold, dead hands if I had anything to say about it. I have one running (and I think sync'ed now) and a back up.

Happy to help with any spare thin batteries cluttering up anyone space. I was a good Samaritan and sent one of my spares to someone with that funky replacement thing.

I keep an eye on other phones out there for that "just in case" day.

For the swimming phone -- try letting it dry out for several days -- without turning it on. Mine took a dip and is OK.

Well I sold off my brand new spare i500 to someone on ebay... so unless it was one of you guys, I reckon there should at least one newcomer...

Monkeyboy...You a little "Touched?"

Monkeyboy -- are you bailing??? Why didn't you let us know you were offering a new i500???

Jimt -- I see you have the Touch. Are you using 2 phones or just hanging out here for old times' sake?

Quote Originally Posted by amusinglisa View Post
    Monkeyboy -- are you bailing??? Why didn't you let us know you were offering a new i500???

Jimt -- I see you have the Touch. Are you using 2 phones or just hanging out here for old times' sake?
    Just like to check in now and again. I have switched from the Palm to the Touch back to the Palm, back to the Touch, back to the Palm and back to the Touch so while I'm keeping the I500 I am using the Touch for now.

I still prefer the I500 form factor, the Palm desktop and Palm interface so I keep hoping that a Palm phone will come along so I can switch back.

The Touch is a neat little phone, though; but still prefer the Palm experience.

Quote Originally Posted by amusinglisa View Post
    Well, I did mention it in one of my postings several months ago, and I did post the new i500 on this site's forsale forum, but I didn't get any bites. So I auctioned in on ebay and got "top dollar" for it... so at least *some* people are willing to pay $$$ for a brand new i500 even now

I'm using the Touch now. Except for it not being a flipphone, I love the form factor (smaller than the i500). I miss the flipphone and the physical dialpad. I miss the solid, responsive PalmOS. WM is a lousy phone OS in terms of usability. But it is "powerful" and there are numerous plusses, like being able to surf the Internet for real. And over-the-air Exchange calendar syncing is very nice. Those are probably the two biggest improvements that I'm enjoying over what the i500 provided. (Slingbox is the third). Other than that, the i500 could have kept me happy for a long time. (Reception on the Touch is definitely better than the i500 also). Also part of the motivation to jump is that I sensed that SERO was an opportunity that I needed to take advantage of before it got pulled -- no more having to worry that my $10 gf Vision would disappear -- indeed my monthy bill is now $15/mo less than before (*including* unl EVDO and unl SMS)...

But I still have my old i500. I put it on PagePlus (for $10/4mos). So it is still alive, sorta...

I'm still using and loving my i500. Bought it new in Jan 2004. My problem is that my Sprint service where I live has degenerated badly. Most of the time I get one bar, no bars, or Searching for service. In the middle of a call, I lose service, etc. This is the same room in the same house since the phone was new. Service used to be much better. I don't need to retire my phone, but I am coming very close to having to retire Sprint.

Too bad airave isn't available in Georgia...or virtually anywhere!!! Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by dkpike View Post
    I'm still using and loving my i500. Bought it new in Jan 2004. My problem is that my Sprint service where I live has degenerated badly. Most of the time I get one bar, no bars, or Searching for service. In the middle of a call, I lose service, etc. This is the same room in the same house since the phone was new. Service used to be much better. I don't need to retire my phone, but I am coming very close to having to retire Sprint.
    1) If you're otherwise happy with Sprint (rates, features), then you should definitely try a more modern Sprint phone before ditching Sprint. The i500 was a great phone, but reception was certainly not one of its strongest points. You can expect at least a 20-30% improvement in signal reception with a good modern Sprint phone.
    2) If your signal really has degraded, then you should complain to Sprint. Sprint's signal in my home area really went bad one day and continued for several days. I filed a formal complaint with Sprint and they indeed fixed it and brought it back up to original strength. Later, they put up a new tower and made it even better.

Again MB is right on. Do tell Sprint about the service fall off.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

My daughter's centro (Sprint) has much better signal strength than my i500 - gets signal in parking garage where I get none.
    Otherwise signal good enough everywhere else on i500 still
    I forgot the word now - but there may be a tower update that can help (this forum had all updates in the past)
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

I think the term you are looking for is PRL Update?

Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    I think the term you are looking for is PRL Update?
    Unfortunately, the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) really only determines the roaming signal that the phone will latch onto, so it wouldn't be expected to help with native Sprint signal. However, that is one strategy people are doing for poor Sprint home coverage: forcing the phone into roaming mode. Unfortunately for the i500, its only forced roaming mode is analog... and AMPS is probably dead in your area.

So that leaves: 1) new phones (try a friend's), 2) buy a repeater (I did), 3) complain to Sprint, 4) Airave.

This week it'll be 5 years since this phone came out.

I started paying attention to this phone when the FCC docs leaked in August 2002. The first unit appeared in the hands of forum members here on July 25th, 2003. I waited a bit and then bought mine in Sept 2003.

And I'm still using it to this day! I'm a heavy Palm user, mostly the built-in apps like memo and calendar and contacts. I use just a few third-party apps -- I swear by DateBk5 (calendar replacement), and also find KeyRing (encrypted passwords) and Xiino (great web browser!) very useful. Everything is syncing to several computers, so my Palm is basically my Info Football. I had it syncing with Win95 originally, now have it syncing with a WinXP laptop and an Ubuntu Linux desktop (jpilot), and tomorrow actually I'm going to set it up on a new WinXP machine at work.

At this point I'm hoping to tough it out until there's a Google Android handset that I like (three rules: small, flip, and PIM as good as Palm). A couple months ago I bought a barely used i500 off a coworker and will keep that as backup. If all else fails I'll go to a Centro as a stopgap.

I wish I had proper texting capability, and that's the only real problem I've got these days. It would be nice if I had a camera, and all the other gee whiz multimedia features, but for now the tradeoff is too much.

ChrisC: I was in a similiar situation as you. I bought the I500 very early.

I kept it until December of 2007 which is when I purchased a HTC Touch.

Things were so bad at first that I switched back to the I500 4 times but each time I went back to the Touch.

I've been using the Touch now for over 7 months and while I wish it was more like the I500 I've gotten to like it.

I still have the I500 so I can always go back to it but the truth is I'd miss the features of the Touch: Photo caller ID, Internet (Opera 9.5), micro sd expansion, TV Guide, Google Maps with GPS, Google Search, Weather, the camera (with video), YouTube, and many other things.

The Touch fits perfectly in my leather business card case too.

Also the price has come way down and you might just like to take another look at it.
    Attached Images

monkeyboy: that was my thinking - that a newer phone would be better. Two weeks ago my daughter and son-in-law visited, each with newer (bought in last 8 months) Sprint phones. They both had signal strength problems.

I will definitely take everyone's advice and complain to Sprint. I did talk to a service tech at one local Sprint store - his answer was a curt - "you need a new phone".

Thanks, everyone.

I should clarify ... I've also got a Blackberry on my belt for work, so that pretty much satisfies my mobile web browsing needs.

And this morning I successfully completed a Palm Desktop installation and got sync working on my work computer, for the first time ever! So it looks like I'll be continuing in the i500 boat for at least another year, and longer if none of the Google Android phones fit my needs.

Maybe I'll be the last one out of here

Chris:
    I have 2 backup phones - lots of chargers and batteries - You and I may be the only dinosaurs left.
    Handsfree bluetooth adapter my only dislike - bulky and have to charge more frequently than I want - but it works for car with new Calif. law.
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Happily Converged
    stevedrummer, I'm still an i500 user also.

Which bluetooth adapter do you use? Does it work with your car's audio system, or just with an earpiece?