+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    It is a Jabra models 250 and 210 (one is the adapter fitting into the headphone slot on the phone - and the other is the earpiece.)
    It does not pair with the car - but the adapter might pair with a car devise - would have to read the directions.
    As I recall, the Sprint stores carry the bluetooth adapters for their phones - you can buy one - try to link with your car - and if not, return it. Anyone else try this? My car does not have bluetooth on its system.
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

I had tried using the Jabra adapter with my Camry's BT system when I had my i500, no dice. I don't know that that means that it cannot work with any car's system, but I definitely struck out with mine.
    It's a pond. My god. It's JUST a pond!!!
    WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE??!??!!???
    -Thoreau, in a sudden moment of realization

Happily Converged
    I tried the Jabra with my 2008 bmw. It did not work.

Went to Centro ...

Well, I posted about a year ago when I stumbled upon this forum ... just last week, my i500 browser (nweb by novarra) quit connecting. I'm sure it was a software problem on the Sprint side (since I could check emails fine), but the tech support folks couldn't figure it out, and I didn't want to spend more time on hold ... ugh.

So, I "upgraded" to the Centro. Some very cool features on the Centro ... I especially like:

-- the Google maps integration
    -- the screen quality
    -- real SMS
    -- much better reception
    -- relatively small form factor (for a Smartphone)

But, I hate how:

-- there is no integrated voice-dialing (I need to go find a good app for this)
    -- speed-dialing is a pain to figure out ... it's not integrated with the Address Book (come on Palm!). The Samsung-Palm OS integration was really well done!

So, I will wait patiently for a clamshell PDA that I like -- I've heard that Blackberry is coming out with something ... but the Centro will work fine for now.

Can the last one here turn out the lights?!

Quote Originally Posted by AAWW View Post
    Well, I posted about a year ago when I stumbled upon this forum ... just last week, my i500 browser (nweb by novarra) quit connecting.
    One strong possibility for nweb not working is that the Novarra proxy server for it may have been shutdown. I discussed this issue in another thread here and gave alternative proxy addresses. If there is still a widespread problem on this, I could look into it... but you can also search on this forum for the right threads and try out the alternative proxies...

BTW the problem has nothing to do with Sprint... and I'm quite sure they are clueless about it...

Update: There have been other reports in other forums of Novarra's proxies being shutdown. I dug up my old Novarra proxy notes...

Proxy ports 8827, 8775
    sprintpcs.proxy.novarra.com 64.27.165.27
    webpro.palm.com 15
    tapwave.novarra.com 15
    ampd.proxy.novarra.com 45

64.27.165.X

13,15,22,23,25-27,35-40,42-53,62,65,66,70-72,75,84,85,88,92

===
    as you can see, Novarra had set up many proxies, 20-30 of them. Most worked with both WebPro and nweb. They all start with the IP address 64.27.165.X .

I don't really have the means to easily test them now, but use the list above to try to see of any are still active and please report back...

Otherwise... grab a copy of Xiino... presuming that proxy still works...

Monkeyboy, thanks for the tips. You'd think Sprint tech support could have provided alternative addresses themselves ... and why do these guys shut their servers down? I'm sure they can monitor the amount of traffic flowing through.

Now that I'm on a Centro, I can't confirm these addresses work on the i500. But, it's good to know that I have a backup that *might* connect to the web.

I miss my old phone already, but there are some very cool modern features on the Centro that are tough to beat! I just need to get used to the UI, and I wish it were a clamshell ... nothing's perfect, always a tradeoff somewhere.

There is a story on Palminfocenter indicating Palm shut down the servers for Nweb and Webpro. Of course they think it most affects Treo and Visorphone users but I would guess there are more I500 and Kyocera 7135 users still out there than the old Treos.

Well, that means my i500 has that much less utility as a back up to my Centro now.

I had ended up using Xiino much more than nweb anyways... perhaps you/we should check if Xiino still works...

I don't quite understand the story since I think those Novarra proxies are used for more than just nweb/Webpro for PalmOS... If it is true that ALL Novarra proxies are shutdown, I would think that was done by Novarra, not Palm...

I just checked... the Xiino proxy still seems to be up so I'd say that's the thing to use if no active nweb proxies are still up...
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 10-10-2008 at 05:54 PM.

deibelsan ... thanks for the pointer. I love this line from the story ... "The technology required to operate this proxy server has reached the end of its useful life and cannot be updated." And what technology might this be? A power supply, hard disk drive ... pretty lame. But, the shutdown did get me to switch to a more modern, perhaps better solution ... and I stayed Palm OS. So, everyone wins, I guess.

After three days, Centro is working out great (just need to find a decent voice dialing solution) ... hope the Centro lasts as long my i500. The king is dead, long live the king!

Just downloaded Xiino - does it require a paid registration after 30 days?
    will check the other novarra proxies later and report
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Supposedly Xiino requires payment after a trial period. However people have reported that the folks overseeing Xiino and accepting payment are nowhere to be found, i.e. they have *tried* to pay for Xiino and found it impossible. So before you pay for it, be sure to get a positive response from whomever you are intending to pay to make sure they will actually give you a valid registration code.

If you find yourself not being able to pay for Xiino, let me know...

Helllo old friends. Not using the 500 any more (treo 755p) but nice to see you'll.

BlazorBoy
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Happily Converged
    BB! We've missed you!

Quote Originally Posted by booklaw View Post
    BB! We've missed you!
    Ah shucks, Bookie

I do check in now and then and I miss all of you. I see that the monkey man is still taking good care of everyone.

I am using a Treo 755p AND a Blackberry (work requires it); hate having to carry two devices but will not give up POS as a PIM. Hence, I use the Treocentral site where they have NO humor at all. I miss our old crowd.

Best to all,

BB

Hey, BB - glad to hear you're still out there.

Just made the switch myself to a 755 - same reason - i wanted to keep my apps.

Only problem I'm still having is to get it to work with a network HotSync - worked like a champ (even if slow) with my i500. But otherwise, it seems ok, although I miss the i500 form factor...

Good luck! Glad to hear you're still lurking a bit.

(And you're right - Treocentral is downright boring...)

I'm a very early adopter (bought the i500 the first week it was out) and still in active use. I've just spent several hours trying to figure out what was wrong with nWeb, so checked here and thankfully found the reference to Palm killing the proxy's. I'd guessed that was what was wrong, but couldn't find anything on Novarra's site. Regardless, I reinstalled PocketLink and will continue to make do. Since I was also an early adopter of the Palm family, i.e., bought a Pilot 5000 the first week it was out, I've got plenty of this old registered software around as Palm continues to disappoint. I'm just praying that Palm will release an equivalent of the PalmPro with the Palm OS, since I mainly want wi-fi if I have to pay for a new phone. I like the speed of Palm and have a huge investment in both time and money in all the software I'd ever want on a PDA. Anyway, I don't stop by that often, but I'm still here too.
    Last edited by Jim Karam; 10-18-2008 at 02:38 PM.

I went to the Treo 755p as well. I was telling a friend of mine that I was planning on going to the Centro and he said he had just switched to an iphone and he gave me his 755p, so that was an easy decision.

I see there's an i550 on ebay that's been posted at $399 since Sunday and still hasn't sold -- how times have changed.

Frumious! Welcome to the 755p club. Hope you enjoy it. Shun the iPhone.

BB

AZ1
    I'm still here (bought mine in August 03; replaced a stolen one in 06). But as I just posted in a new thread, Sprint is canceling the PCS email and unless someone can tell me a browser I can use (I currently use Eudoraweb) that can access sites such as hotmail, I'll have to move on.