+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SPH-i505/i550

SPH-i505

I'm sure there's an SPH-i505 in the works. If there's already a 505 to supercede the yet to be released SGH-500, then logic (Samsung uses logic, right???) would have it that we should be seeing an i505 pretty soon??

I think I'll keep using my 6035 until Best Buy has the i505 on sale for $249.99...of course that's with the rebate...and not including my SprintPCS service renewal credit of $150...net cost $99.99!!!

I suppose the SPH-i505 will have a speakerphone, SDIO, Graffiti 2 (Jot), Bluetooth, Camera, External LCD....THIS IS THE PHONE I'M WAITING FOR....

Food for thought....

C'mon Rave, I know you're using this phone right now
    Last edited by JLondon; 10-14-2003 at 09:27 PM.

Master
    The phone I'm waiting for is listed in my sig! Do you think we'll see this within a year?
    Need out of a car lease? Want to assume a lease on a late model car? www.leasetrade.com

Re: SPH-i505

Originally posted by JLondon
    I'm sure there's an SPH-i505 in the works. If there's already a 505 to supercede the yet to be released SGH-500, then logic (Samsung uses logic, right???) would have it that we should be seeing an i505 pretty soon??

I think I'll keep using my 6035 until Best Buy has the i505 on sale for $249.99...of course that's with the rebate...and not including my SprintPCS service renewal credit of $150...net cost $99.99!!!

I suppose the SPH-i505 will have a speakerphone, SDIO, Graffiti 2 (Jot), Bluetooth, Camera, External LCD....THIS IS THE PHONE I'M WAITING FOR....

Food for thought....

C'mon Rave, I know you're using this phone right now
    Actually, I use an i330 as my office phone, and i500 for a mobile. I do have the SGH-i505 as well as the Korean version of i500, the m500. m500 and SGH-i505 are almost identical as far as the case and outer appearance is concerned (except of course m500 is 66MHz Dragonball with OS4.1 and Graffiti area where as the SGH-i505 is an MX1 with 5.2.1 and no Graffiti).

I think the rotating LCD is perfect for this type of device, but I personally prefer the SGH-i500's simpler approach, with an external LCD.

Some of use have access to early SPH-i500 successor (which isn't going to be called SPH-i505 -> rearrange the digits some and you got it ) and the 320x LCD is gorgeous. The LCD is the main reason I'm not too excited about the m500/SGH-i505. Both these models have the lower-res screens.

I just couldn't resist. What's the point in having all these devices if you can't show it off now and then?

Originally posted by mattmcg
    The phone I'm waiting for is listed in my sig! Do you think we'll see this within a year?
    Looking over the signature, I think there are two that isn't covered with SGH-i500 or SPH-i500 successor, and they are keyboard and Bluetooth. Keypad, yes. Keyboard, no. And the SGH-i500 may or may not go up to 1 meg.

Speakerphone is part of the design specification, but I don't know if we've nailed the speaker performance down, yet.

When will we see them Smartphones? Well... you guys don't want to trade up from your i500s and Treos so soon anyway, right? My guesstimate would peg release for these devices to sometime in the first half of next year. It's a toss up which one (SGH-i500, 505, or i500 successor) will make it first.

So, in summary, the official rumor is that the successor of SPH-i500 is to be called SPH-i550. It has a 320x320 LCD, 1 meg camera, SDIO, OS 5.2, but no BT, no wi-fi. It will probably be out in mid 2004. Close?

If indeed this is true, I'll keep using my i330 until then. The lack of internal BT is a disappointment however.

boe

SPH-i550

Rave,

Thanks for replying to this post. REALLY good stuff to know. You've answered most of the things I was curiuos about the SPH-i550 but I have a couple more if you know the details. I wasn't clear will it have a seperate external display or the rotating screen. I'd much rather have the external display so my internal one is protected. If my external cracked I can still work.

Will it be able to play custom ringers - wav or qcp?

Will the vibration mode be any more noticeable than the SPH-i500.

P.S. I really really like the size of the SPH-i500, is the SPH-i550 much different in size?
    Last edited by boe; 10-14-2003 at 11:06 AM.

I'm careful about leaking any specific information about the i500 successor, but since I've seen Boe post several times about the custom ringers

The short answer is yes. From OS 5 and on, we can use Palm API to playback and control sound (whereas on previous devices, we had to use the phone chip) so we are much more flexible on this account. However, this is not a guarantee that you'll actually be able to create your own ringers. I do not know yet what Sprint's poilicy is about this, but some carriers require that the device only be able use as ringers sounds that you download from their servers. But, I guess even with this restriction, you should be able to customize bells from Sprint's collection.

Vibrator strength? I haven't tested that, but I don't expect it to be much different from the i500, and size-wise, I've posted several times about how the i500 successor is slightly larger in every dimension and feels larger if you are used to the i500, but with a bit of adjustment, it feels good. Still smaller than the 7135

boe

WAHOO!!!

Rave, thanks for keeping us informed - I'm sure everyone really appreciates it!

With the current Sprint policy, you can put any ringers on your phone (FOR FREE) you want provided the phone supports it. This is one of the few advantages I've seen of Sprint over Verizon. Not to say Verizon doesn't have any advantages. I hope they keep that policy for when this phone becomes available ...mmmm.... Or hopefully Verizon will change their policy on ringer downloads. I could be mistaken on the Verizon but I know with the 4400 you could only download ringers easily if you paid for them from Verizon.

I can accept it would have to be a little larger than the i500, I'm sure the phone will be about as state of the art as will be available at the time so a size increase is understandable.

I'm curious. Is the display (external and internal or rotating) something you aren't allowed to reveal yet? I read your other posts and am not quite clear. It sounds like the this one might be a rotating one but couldn't be sure.
    Last edited by boe; 10-14-2003 at 06:52 PM.

home page!

on the home page there is an article by mike collins that details this and has a pic!
    Always waiting for the next best thing!! And right now that's the Blackjack!

The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar
    Rave, Thanks!!

All that info makes my day. Three Cheers for Rave Everybody!!!

I'm now offically back on the "painfully longing for the next smartphone" treadmill.

But this time I have an awsome smartphone (i5) while I wait. Much more tolerable that way.

-Tony
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

boe

Re: home page!

Originally posted by jhat3k1
    on the home page there is an article by mike collins that details this and has a pic!
    I could be wrong but I think that is info on the SGH-i505 which may be different from the SPH-i550

BMW Bluetooth

Since I started the thread, I'd like to thank Rave for his candor and information...and please, show off your devices (keep it clean) as much as you like!!

I've been yearning for an integrated, handsfree solution for my BMW...without spending $1500 for a lousy Motorola StarTac that plugs in to the prewiring. Now there's a Bluetooth module - http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/blue/blue.htm

Guess I'll have to wait for the SPH-i550 (w/Bluetooth?!?)...

...where's the Bluetooth hardware mod??

boe

Official Thread

JL, thanks for starting this thread.

Rave thanks so much for giving us some info!

Maybe the moderators can change the title of this link to the correct phone name and make it a sticky official thread.

Originally posted by Tony_ensemble
    Rave, Thanks!!

All that info makes my day. Three Cheers for Rave Everybody!!!

I'm now offically back on the "painfully longing for the next smartphone" treadmill.

But this time I have an awsome smartphone (i5) while I wait. Much more tolerable that way.

-Tony
    Here, here! Now it will be mere techno-lust waiting for the i5xx while I can still PDA in style with the i500.
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

SPH-i550

Hmmm... I suppose the i550 was in the works many months ago...or at least the model #

http://www.f2fresearch.com/articles/...devices_10.asp

Good news on the Bluetooth integration…

Unless Samsung actually modifies the DragonBall MX1 chip that Rave was talking about (I don't see that happening), then yes, the phone will have Bluetooth because Bluetooth wireless and CDMA communications functions are integrated on the MX1 chip!

The 200 MHz MX1 chip also natively supports SD / SDIO / MMC and Memory Stick expansion technology.

Finally, you might find this interesting; the chip roughly costs 18 dollars per order of 10,000.

Well, I am really looking forward to this phone

... Josh

Re: Good news on the Bluetooth integration…

Originally posted by jp3008
    Finally, you might find this interesting; the chip roughly costs 18 dollars per order of 10,000.
    yeah, like that cost savings will get passed along to the consumer. but as was mentioned above, I'm sure we're all salivating for the successor to the I5, but at least we have a phone that we're currently happy with. Makes the wait a bit less painful.

RAVE! Awesome Info! Thanks alot for keepng us informed!

Master
    I've been playing around with the Treo 600 (still haven't activated it yet until I'm ready to switch which at this time doesn't look like it's going to happen) and I'm particularly impressed with their software integration of the phone, contacts, favorites, and sms. This is by far the most impressive element of the phone and will be a tough act to follow.

But I'd love to see the SPH-I550!
    Need out of a car lease? Want to assume a lease on a late model car? www.leasetrade.com

i got this phone already. but when i press the camera it says looking for camera sensor. what do i do