+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bluetooth Possible with I550? (External Card?)

I know after reading the first reviews and spec list of the I550 that it will not have bluetooth built in. BUT, does anyone know if it will be possible to use a bluetooth card in the SD slot?

If it is possible, can anyone recommend bluetooth cards that might work?

Thanks!
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

Ok, im replying to my own post 50 views and no replies, comon guys, somebody help me out !!

boe

Just a guess

Since the phone isn't available yet and the specs are still not complete, I think Rave is the only one who can answer that question.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the B/T. If you want to use it to communicate with the PC, or have the 550 link with other BT PDAs, the addon BT should work well.

However, if you want to use it with a wireless B/T headset, that is a different issue. See, when you add B/T via SD slot, then you are adding it to the PDA, so only the PDA functionality can take advantage of it. Anything that a B/T enabled PDA can do, you can do with 550 + B/T card. However, the B/T won't be recognized by the phone portions of the device, so you can't do B/T headset or B/T handsfree stuff...

How can this phone ever use a BT SD card if there aren't any available OS 5.x drivers!

AFAIK, there is NO plan by PalmOne or any other company to develop a OS 5.x compatible BT SD card. They only hope was Hagiwara but they recently indicated that they will probably never release the card.

Thus, I doubt this phone will be able to use BT...unless of course Samsung releases it own card or something....

boe

Talking Thanks for the info

Rave,

I appreciate your honesty. I'm bummin it won't work with the phone. Surprisingly that is the only bluetooth application I care about. I'd love to have a bluetooth headset or be able to link the phone to my car. Hopefully you'll be posting some insider info on the release of this phone.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

Thanks Rave for the info, exactly what I needed to know!!

I'm glad to hear that bluetooth PC/PDA communication would be possible with an SD card... that is a definite plus.

HOWEVER, as you said, since it will not work with a BT handsfree, that rules out using this phone with the Acura TL...

your explanation makes sense, that the phone portion wouldn't be able to use the BT card, but I hate to hear that this phone won't be Acura TL compatible..

By now, it just seems like such a waste to not add bluetooth (or if need be, a proprietary wireless standard that has lower overhead and power demand) so you can have wireless headsets and hands free kits. I sure don't want 1/2" of SDIO card sticking out of my svelte new i550.

By the way - how "svelte" is the new i550. I see different opinions that place it somewhere between the i550, and a Treo 600 when closed - what are the real dimensions?
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

Try out the SCH-i600. They are about the same in size, though i600 is a bit more rounded and does feel smaller in the hand. It's no way near the T600 or the Kyocera 7135, though.

Remember, the LCD is the same size as it was on the i500, just double the resolution. So you can get a better sense of the size when you look at photos of i550s.

Thanks Rave - as I recall, the SCH-i600 is larger than the i500, but not the size of the others.

rave,

The Samsung i550 looks like a great phone and I can hardly wait for it;s introduction. So far, it looks like the only thing I'd trade my Kyocera 7135 for. However, it does not have bluetooth.

Considering all the clamor and whinning for bluetooth -- including my own whinning -- I am curious as to why Samsung (and admittedly, other smartphone manufacturers) aren't including it. Any ideas you can share with us?

Also, and I know I am getting ahead of myself, are there any plans you can share about Palm OS6 Cobalt-based smartphones from Samsung?

Thanks in advance for anything you can share.

Originally posted by William
    rave,
    Considering all the clamor and whinning for bluetooth -- including my own whinning -- I am curious as to why Samsung (and admittedly, other smartphone manufacturers) aren't including it. Any ideas you can share with us?
    Not to preempt Rave, but the simple answer is SPRINT. They are fighting a never ending battle to keep users from connecting their vision phones to notebooks as cellular modems, and bluetooth would make this amazingly easy (instead of cables, etc.). Therefor, until Sprint begins a Vision Plus type premium service for unlimited Internet for additional cost (best corporate deal is generally $80-100 per month for a cellular PC card - with voice calls costing $0.20 per minute) you won't see bluetooth, regardless of its other virtues.

Handspring even admitted the Treo 600 has a place on the system board for the requisite bluetooth chip - how's that for carrier clout

Originally posted by dstrauss
    Not to preempt Rave, but the simple answer is SPRINT. They are fighting a never ending battle to keep users from connecting their vision phones to notebooks as cellular modems, and bluetooth would make this amazingly easy (instead of cables, etc.).
    As much as I want BT, I almost don't want it, I heard they put a cap on the Sony/Ericson T6xx and the amount of data you can transfer with it per month.

I don't mind using it with the cable (the little bit I use it), although I'd probably use it a little more if I didn't have to connect a cable.

Gary

bump..

As rave explained earlier in this thread, a BT SD card will only work with the PDA portion of the I550, and not the phone.

My next question is for the mod master Scott. Is it technically possible to mod the phone so a BT card would work with the phone portion and support HFL, if so, would you consider doing it? I know you've said before it would be hard, but wanted to check.

Reason be, if there is a chance you can create a mod to make BT work with HFL on the I550, I might hold off on buying the T650 when released. If there is no chance, I'll probably break my streak of Samsung phones, and go ahead with the T650.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Here's my take, mostly based on my experience with the i500 and Treo 600. Overall, on the i500, you can easily have bluetooth added. There is a catch, however. You can easily have bluetooth headset or data. Now, moving on to the Treo (which will lead to the i550). The Treo has an SD-card slot, very cool. However, the way that particular phone is designed, there is no interaction to the A/D converter, analog or digital voice signals from the phone side. That means, no matter what with the treo, you really couldn't do a headset profile bluetooth.

Okay, and now on to the real question, the i550. I have to preface this all with the very real comment I don't have an i550, and didn't design the phone, so I may be completely wrong. However, my information does come from an inside source at both Samsung and Sprint, and is more likely than not accurate.

First off, the real question to ask is 'can the i550 use i500 accessories'? This question is of the utmost importance to those wanting bluetooth. The i500's data access port (your sync port) is actually the same as the i330's, with an unused pin now carrying addtional USB data. Although the i330 used a USB cable, it was actually only a serial interface phone. Now the neat part about that was that the i330's access port is essentially the exact same as the i300's port. So we have some history from samsung using that port. The important part about that is that Samsung provides access to both the data and voice portions, and with a little work battery. That's how the sync cable works (data) and the Samsung branded hands-free car kit works (voice). To make bluetooth data work, I need a serial connection from the phone, not USB, not XYZ proprietary format.

That being said, if Samsung's i550 design carries through, you will easily be able to add a small 'sled' stlye bluetooth addition to the phone through that port. I've considered making my bluetooth mod to the i500 via a dongle, but never got enough interest to sell enough to break even on the parts order. So I've done a few conversions for friends (and myself) as internal mods -- not the dongle.

As for using the SD slot for bluetooth, I have mixed answers. Let's pretend Samsung used the same design as the Treo 600-- which would be logical given the i500's design. In that case, adding data support drivers for a BT card is very doable. However, adding voice support may be impossible.

So, in short, a dongle based bluetooth data/voice module is likely not only possible, but relatively easy to do. If the phone is designed the way I expect with a compatible serial interface port (ie. could use the i500 keyboard, or any other samsung serial accessory including the serial sync cable) my current i500 hack will give data support out of the box. I assume they will make the i550 car kit compatible, so it would be only a matter of time to figure out voice, if it is at all different than the i500. I will likely develop this for my i550 when I get it. On the other hand, if all you are interested in is SD card based bluetooth, don't hold your breath. Because while it may be possible, it is more likely that it will not be.

_Scott
    Last edited by scm6079; 10-23-2004 at 05:08 PM.
    i500 Headquarters (http://i500.nopdesign.com)
    i330 Headquarters (http://i330.nopdesign.com)

Question

Originally posted by scm6079 Overall, on the i500, you can easily have bluetooth added.
    Did I miss a thread to easily build my own BT connector for my i500?!?

Or is there place to order them from?!?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Sprint Treo 700p (previously Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Inconsistently tethered to my 700p)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme

I never did start selling them, sorry. I tried to drum up interest, since I needed around 50 or so sales to break even, but never got that many interested people, 5-10 serious and another 20 or so maybes. I think the problem was cost. It's not cheap, it's around a $150 modification to an already expensive phone.

I may try again when the i550 comes out and see if there is more interest now that there is better bluetooth support out there.

-Scott

Thanks. I hadn't really paid attention to the signature, I just saw the SCM...
    I didn't realize you were Scott of the (flammable) BT interface (that I'd probably never get past airport security).
    While it may not read exactly right, that IS supposed to be a compliment.

Gary

Taken as such. Now days my modification is a little more 'stealth' -- and passes airport security fine. Same concept, except I got rid of the external switch, and use a software switch run from a menu on the i500. I also dumped the green LED on the battery.

Thanks Scott, awesome information.. Your details give me hope that a BT add on could be possible with the 550. For me, the mod doesn't have to be created with an SD card - I wouldn't care if the mod was created using a sled or a dongle as long as it works!

As for the questions you pose about the 550 serial port - does anyone out there know wether the data/syc port on the bottom of the phone is the same as the i500, ie meaning all the old accories will still work??

330 - you just saw the phone, any ideas? perhaps we could dig up the FCC photos and figure this one out!

Scott, i would definitely be interested in the BT mod if it can be done on the I550. Thanks for the info, I think i'll hold off on the T650 for now.