+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rave can you please tell us more i550 specs?

btw, thank you for all your info so far!!!
    can you please let us know some of the basic i550 specs, such as
    -processor speed/chip
    -user accesible memory
    -is the speed dial/voice memo able to be backed up?
    -dimensions, weight
    and anything else i'm forgetting, thanks!!!
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

I looked on google (search samsung sph i550) and found a site that said that the i550 would be out 7/01/04. There are some specs available on phonescoop.com. Just look at the right side column(new phones) ans scroll down. Phonescoop says it will be out 4th Q of 04.

Yeah, I saw that site too. I guess they read "to be released 2nd half 2004" and put down the first day of 2nd half as release date. That's a laugh! Although I'm sure they'd be glad to take your pre-order $$$...

It probably is just a pre-production sample, but if you look at the photos linked in the FCC thread, you can see that...

> -processor speed/chip

Motorola MX-1 MC9328MX1DVH20 (I think it's 20 MHz)

> -user accesible memory

A samsung chip (can't make out the number)

> -dimensions, weight

You can probably find it there as well.

Hong.
    i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe

rave-are you there?
    My Palm phone evolution:

Re: Rave can you please tell us more i550 specs?

Originally posted by i330
    btw, thank you for all your info so far!!!
    can you please let us know some of the basic i550 specs, such as
    -processor speed/chip
    -user accesible memory
    -is the speed dial/voice memo able to be backed up?
    -dimensions, weight
    and anything else i'm forgetting, thanks!!!
    I believe its got a Dragonball MX1 at 200Mhz, with 32M RAM and 64M ROM. How much of this memory is usable, is a bit trickier since everything in ROM needs to be moved to RAM first. Not only conventional storage memory but the OS itself is copied to RAM, so there is much less than 32M of RAM for the user. That is a drawback of the flash memory we are using; you can't run apps in ROM but have to move it to RAM first.

However, you now use the RAM only as a dynamic heap and temporary cache, and everything (which used to be stored in RAM in i500) is stored in ROM, so RAM isn't so important anymore.

Voice dial is now voice independent, a type where you don't need to store a trained set of data. So no worry about losing voice dial after hard reset. All you need to do is backup the Address data, and then voice dial will parse this list on the go.

Voice memo? It is now done all in the PDA so backups are possible.

Size? I've compared it with the SCH-i600, and I'll just leave it at that for now.

Re: Re: Rave can you please tell us more i550 specs?

Originally posted by rave
    Size? I've compared it with the SCH-i600, and I'll just leave it at that for now.
    Rave:

I'm a little confused. Your last comment on the size of the i550 sounds a little negative, but the specs I found on the Net show the i600 to be only .12" longer and .08" thicker than the i500. If you have added SDIO, hi-res screen, and OS5, that seems to be a minimal compromise to me, even as the strident "don't make it bigger" complainer I've been in the past.
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

Re: Re: Rave can you please tell us more i550 specs?

Voice dial is now voice independent, a type where you don't need to store a trained set of data. So no worry about losing voice dial after hard reset. All you need to do is backup the Address data, and then voice dial will parse this list on the go.
    I am curious how the speech recognition engine is working for you? Is it accurate for name dial and digit dial? Are you a native US english speaker?

Re: Re: Re: Rave can you please tell us more i550 specs?

Originally posted by samster
    I am curious how the speech recognition engine is working for you? Is it accurate for name dial and digit dial? Are you a native US english speaker?
    all of the newer sprint samsung phones (post a600) have this feature-i found it a pleasure to use!
    My Palm phone evolution:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rave can you please tell us more i550 specs?

Originally posted by i330
    all of the newer sprint samsung phones (post a600) have this feature-i found it a pleasure to use!
    Ya, except I only am curious about this one since I am working on the speech recognition engine for it.

Originally posted by dstrauss
    Rave:

I'm a little confused. Your last comment on the size of the i550 sounds a little negative, but the specs I found on the Net show the i600 to be only .12" longer and .08" thicker than the i500. If you have added SDIO, hi-res screen, and OS5, that seems to be a minimal compromise to me, even as the strident "don't make it bigger" complainer I've been in the past.
    Personally, I don't mind the size of the i550, but because it has more edges than the i500, it feels larger in the hand than i500 or i600. Still, no where near Kyocera 7135.

Did I pass on the impression that I felt the i550 was too large? I think it is an acceptible compromise myself...

Originally posted by samster
    I haven't had the opportunity to try out the speech recognition engine, so I don't know how well it performs. But I assume that if it didn't meet Samsung requirements, then it wouldn't have been included...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rave can you please tell us more i550 specs?

Personally, I don't mind the size of the i550, but because it has more edges than the i500, it feels larger in the hand than i500 or i600. Still, no where near Kyocera 7135.

Did I pass on the impression that I felt the i550 was too large? I think it is an acceptible compromise myself...
    you make it sound like the difference between samsung a400 and a460--a400(which incidently had no external caller id)was very rounded, while the a460(which did have caller id) was more boxy and has more "edges", am i right?
    My Palm phone evolution:

Rave,

How does it feel (and look) in the pants pocket?

Thanks,

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Originally posted by blazorboy
    Rave,

How does it feel (and look) in the pants pocket?

Thanks,

BB
    Firm; not too big (just right). Not really useful until you take it out of the pants and extend it fully. Be sure you use a protective case when it is out of your pocket. Don't worry, the girls are going to love it. Can't..stop...jokes......ahh ha ha ha ha

(oh man I had to register)

Originally posted by Chris_Topher
    Firm; not too big (just right). Not really useful until you take it out of the pants and extend it fully. Be sure you use a protective case when it is out of your pocket. Don't worry, the girls are going to love it. Can't..stop...jokes......ahh ha ha ha ha

(oh man I had to register)

That is the trouble with all the other pda phones, carry them in your pants pocket and it looks like you are gald to see everyone you meet (boy or girl). Carry them on your belt and only the geeks (boys or girls) talk to you. As Mae West never said, "Is that a cell phone in your pocket or are you glad to see me?"

Originally posted by blazorboy
    Carry them on your belt and only the geeks (boys or girls) talk to you.
    Not if you're a self-made multi-millionaire who drives a Ferrari 360 to work and spends the weekends on a 32 foot motoryacht.

How DID you kinow?

Any specifics available on the size/weight of the i550?

Speakerphone?

Rave: do you know if it has a speakerphone?

It must not because it would be way too perfect otherwise.