+ Reply to Thread

Question i530 versus Motorola MPx?

Been browsing the Motorola MPx forum in addition to this one - anyone have any views on the MPx versus the i530? Windows Mobile versus Palm is an obvious point - but there are some other feature differences (and similarities) as well. Both these phones seem to be at the leading edge of PDA capabilities - I see the MPx has Bluetooth integrated, a point of note IMHO. The MPx seems to be GSM only for now, another point of note.

Of course, if one actually hits the market and the other doesn't, that will be another point most of us would consider "relevant" (hullo, Samsung ... ?).

mpx

my only comment would be one of my major concerns in this regard as well and that is the apparent lack of a means of direct input a la graffiti. T9 just doesn't do it for me.
    hagiv

Windows Mobile is one of those What Were They Thinking platforms, due to the lack of any reasonable method for direct input.

The MPx has a QWERTY keyboard, no T9 required. You're thinking of the MPx-200.

Re: i530 versus Motorola MPx

And to quote from http://techsavvy.textamerica.com/?r=441037 :

"As with all Windows Mobile for Pocket PC devices, a touchscreen and stylus permit enable handwriting recognition, and an SD/MMC card slot provides generous memory expansion capability."

Administrator
    its gsm so thats the nail in the coffin FOR THE MPX...

Near as I can see, there's a pretty big chunk of the world that won't/can't look at a phone that's not GSM. If you're in a market that's limited to CDMA only, then MPx isn't going to be an option and you're playing the Samsung waiting game. But if GSM is an available service and your priority is to get a full-featured converged device, seems to me these are two phones you need to have on your radar screen.

And if I'm Samsung and I'm wanting to move some significant numbers of this fancy new phone I'm dumping a bunch of R&D into, I don't know that I'd want the MPx getting a four month jump on me - ditto if I'm Sprint in a market where GSM is a competitor, and I figure that a buyer of a full-featured converged device like these might also be the kind of user that spends more than the minimum $30 a month for basic talk time.

Competition is the name of the game, boys. If the i530/i550 is the only game in town, then the only time you'll see it is when Samsung is ready to let you see it. The sooner they (Samsung or their buyers, Sprint et al) recognize that they're at risk of losing customer base to some competition, we the end consumer finally get to play.

Kind of an odd thread for a Samsung/CDMA forum, don't you think???

Originally posted by Iceman
    Kind of an odd thread for a Samsung/CDMA forum, don't you think???
    this forum is currently for the cdma samsung sph-i550, and the gsm samsung sgh-i530, so i dont find it too odd...
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

I might have misread the forum - I took it as both CDMA (i550) and GSM (i530), though the greater interest does look to be in the i550.

And don't get me wrong - I'm not "pushing" the MPx. If I'm pushing anything, it's to be aware of the market in general. I've been watching this forum for months now, when I still thought it was the i505 I was keenly anticipating. Lots of questions have been asked about why no BT, and why the excessive lag-time between product announcement and product appearance. The question can be posed to Samsung on grounds of principle (BT is an available technology - why not incorporate it?), or it can be posed on grounds of competitive landscape (competing products are coming out that DO have BT - don't they think they're going to lose by not keeping pace?).

My frustration is that it's taking an awfully long time for these phones to hit reality after initial announcement, with no legitimate explanation from Samsung (other than Rave's hints, which are greatly appreciated). With such a passage of time, seems to me quite legitimate to ask in this forum, are there any alternatives to playing the "waiting for Godot/Samsung" game.